Thread: Gonna replace a dead radiator fan

Blog Entries

Default Gonna replace a dead radiator fan

I'm gonna be pulling a dead radiator fan off my 97 today and my bro says he found a new aftermarket for about $60. Last Wed., Creek suggested I contact someone specific regarding picking up a used one, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name. I like the idea of giving a used one a second chance (I'm into recycling when I can) or maybe even fixing the dead fan. About what can I expect to pay for a used one, and can the fan motors be rebuilt easily?

Regards.

05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

My have been talking about me. Which one is dead? I have both but the drivers side runs slow. It would get you by till you get a new one. The passenger side fan should be in good shape (haven't tested it yet).

You're welcome to them. If they hang around my garage much longer im bound to break the blades or something.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Blog Entries

Jig, you are a prince among men. Thanks for the offer; however, my brother, father and myself (we like family projects) rebuilt the fan today. It just needed new brushes. I took some pics and stuff in case anyone is interested. I may throw a few up later.

By the way, my wife is quite jealous of yours as she wants to be a race car driver!

Regards.

Congradulations on repairing it yourself.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I have a NA radiator fan motor in the garage that needs repaired (has flat spot). PM me if anyone wants it for FREE!!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Blog Entries

A pic of the old vs. new brushes. Guess which ones are the old ones?

Link

Brushes in place...

Link

Regards.

Source on brushes? Radioshack or Fry's?

Off Topic: I got a used KitchenAid stand mixer off CL a couple months ago. Decided take off the cover for some reason or another. Ended up removing the brushes needlessly. It wouldn't work until I put them back in the same way I took them out. They are easy to access for routine maintenance.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Blog Entries

I picked the brushes up from a little shop called Richardson Generator just north of the police station on Greenville Ave. It's a wonderfully old little repair shop that's been there since...well, since cars had generators.

I will not guarantee that they have a good supply stream. When we put the brush holder on the counter, he said, "Uh-oh" and proceeded to pull a cardboard box from under the counter and root around through dozens of bags and used/new bits. The ones we picked were not the right size, we had to file them down to fit. One was used as well, which I like all the better—recycling! He originally told us to just take them (kind gentleman), but we gave him a fiver anyway.

My father actually found a source for brushes online out of CA that looked to have a close enough size to work, but we didn't end up needing them. I'll ask him for the URL and post it up as well at some point. You could just look for any electric motor repair shop locally as well.

Regards.

[Edit: Oh, maniac, just noticed you're in Austin. Yeah, I'll see if I can get that source URL from the online store and post it.]
    Last edited by Piff; 06-04-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Cool, this'll be good info for reference.

I've actually got a pair of slim fans ($30 each) from silconintakes.com and one of them went out under warranty.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Blog Entries

Found that source. It's http://www.eurtonelectric.com/. I will reiterate that we did not end up using this source, so your milage may vary, but if you look in the parts area, there are some brushes that are 0.220 by 0.220 by 0.530 (part # 33G) that we think would have done the job with some filing. Don't forget that these brushes are basically graphite, so they're soft like a pencil lead. Crimp it too hard or slip with the file and you can destroy them pretty quickly.

Regards.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    My have been talking about me. Which one is dead? I have both but the drivers side runs slow. It would get you by till you get a new one. The passenger side fan should be in good shape (haven't tested it yet).

You're welcome to them. If they hang around my garage much longer im bound to break the blades or something.
    Jigger...I'll take the driver's side one if no one claims it. Mine has a bearing going out and squeaks when the AC compressor clicks on and off.

PS
    Excellent work on the rebuild Piff!

Blog Entries

I figured a TCB member would appreciate this fix.

Regards.