Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Track Night In America - TNIA 2017 schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Now I want to bring my road racing car. It has plates. And I have a comp license.
    Combining the eligibility requirements listed above together with the explanations in the article that reference them, your plated race car would initially seem eligible because you could drive it to the grocery store and return with a loaf of bread. If you had to. But if the car has been used for racing and is not a "retired" race car, it would not meet eligibility requirements without a waiver, and a waiver for an active race car may be granted only if the car is "used to introduce a new participant to track driving." But if you have a comp license, you can only drive a car that is not a race car. So even with a waiver, you can't drive it yourself, but a first-time novice could. That makes so much sense!

They really put a lot of thought into this, huh?

The gist seems to be that if your car is a "road-legal" car that looks like a regular street car, then it is eligible and you're welcome to participate. TNiA is meant for you. But if you're a racer, or if your car has stickers, logos, and numbers (giving the appearance that you are there to compete or to win), and your car is otherwise eligible or is granted a waiver, then you can participate, but TNiA wasn't meant for you, and it is preferred that you not show up. Because your participation may contribute to a Track Night environment counter to the desired one.
    Last edited by 865; 07-25-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Not to mention driving a full prepped race car and being held up multiple times a lap for the entire session would be not so much fun.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

^-- That is doubtless true. But for me, there's no comp license or full prepped race car involved, nor the skill or experience to drive one fast enough to be held up all that much. It's just the matter of appearances, what with my autocross numbers, stickers, and logos on the car, tainting the environment that TNiA desires.

That's my mildly prepped STR class NC Club with the undesirable appearance. I could also drive my NC GT if I were willing to maintain the low level of track prep on it that is commensurate with my skill level, meaning 200tw street tires, high temp brake fluid, and dual-use street/track pads. But without the roll bar, seats, and harnesses I put in the Club, it wouldn't be as safe or as much fun to drive.

And all this new eligibility stuff sure makes my job in Tech (making the "go/no go" call) all the more a quagmire. As if helmet types, convertible protection, and proper classing ("hey, get some beginners to move up to intermediate.") wasn't enough, now I have to see which way the wind is blowing to determine car eligibility. Well...not exactly the wind...but I will be sending many drivers to the SCCA folks for 'permission slips' before I can Tech it. Up to now, I've cleared cars with tags and current registration. I have no clue what to expect. Wait til September to find out.

It would be easier to say:
    "If it's on a trailer/in a hauler, pull to the side near the registration table before parking in the paddock. An SCCA official from the national office will need to speak to you."

Track Night in America is a fine fine event for getting folks on track. I have missed only 1 event total. Too bad a few bad apples, probably north of the Mason-Dixon Line, screwed the pooch for all of us.
    This is not a rant.
    Paul
    Last edited by Prof; 07-25-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: pesky pithy typo

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    ^-- That is doubtless true. But for me, there's no comp license or full prepped race car involved, nor the skill or experience to drive one fast enough to be held up all that much. It's just the matter of appearances, what with my autocross numbers, stickers, and logos on the car, tainting the environment that TNiA desires.

That's my mildly prepped STR class NC Club with the undesirable appearance. I could also drive my NC GT if I were willing to maintain the low level of track prep on it that is commensurate with my skill level, meaning 200tw street tires, high temp brake fluid, and dual-use street/track pads. But without the roll bar, seats, and harnesses I put in the Club, it wouldn't be as safe or as much fun to drive.
    Autocross prepped car is not a race car. They mean W2W prepped race car with a cage, fire system, log book.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Autocross prepped car is not a race car. They mean W2W prepped race car with a cage, fire system, log book.
    Yeah, I know. It's just the tone set by the article that rankles a bit, not so much the revised rules per se. It comes across as unwelcoming of anyone whose car doesn't look like a typical street car. As though any car that has numbers and stickers might scare off drivers who are new to the track, the ones that the author says that TNiA is meant for. If that is not what the author intended to convey, then the article was poorly written.

Don't mind me. I'm just bitching.

My car actually in the grocery store parking lot, bring home the bacon and frying it up because I'm a woman.

m3 gg.jpg
    M3 is always the answer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^You didn't flush that turd yet?

Can one car have multiple drivers?
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Quote Originally Posted by GroceryHauler View Post
    Can one car have multiple drivers?
    Short answer, yes. It's covered in the TNiA FAQs under "Can I share a car?"

Can I share a car?

Yes. Two drivers can participate in the same car in different run groups or they can split the time within the group. Each driver must be an entrant, however so splitting time in the same run group will cost you track time. Another good option is to both do the Run/Work entry which allows each of you one session (at only $35) while working for two hours to support the event.

Short answer, yes. It's covered in the TNiA FAQs under "Can I share a car?"
    Thanks, good information. I was looking eligibility and didn't see it mentioned.
    2013 Audi S4
    1997 Montego Blue Miata

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^You didn't flush that turd yet?
    watch your mouth young lady
    M3 is always the answer.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I just registered for the TNiA at COTA on Aug. 30th. The cost is $175 and the discount codes will work, making it $150.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Almost 100 registered already.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Wish I could go. I've never been, and this is probably as cheap as it ever gets for COTA. Alas, bad timing for me.

[I signed up anyway. May end up having to cancel...]
    Last edited by 865; 08-01-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Looks like COTA is sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Almost 100 registered already.
    Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    Looks like COTA is sold out.
    Any idea what the registration cap was?

Any idea what the registration cap was?
    No. But, the course is 3.4 miles long, with 30 cars per mile and three groups, the cap may be 300. And, there were about 100 entrants after 15 minutes, sold out in 45 minutes, again about 300? At $150-$175 per entrant, that's almost $50,000. That might pay the rental fee.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

It is $50K a day to rent COTA.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    It is $50K a day to rent COTA.
    60K now
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater