Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overflow tank bubbling

MiataProtege

Default Overflow tank bubbling

After a good rough drive, I notice a decently loud gurgling that I know from previous experience to be the coolant. Under the hood my guess is proven to be truth.

I've added antifreeze to stop this.... but after googling around a bit... it seems that it could also be a sign my head gasket is about to blow? Something about air going into the coolant from the head gasket.

Also possibly a thermostat?

Am I just being the typical paranoid guy that I am? Is it just that I didn't have the proper antifreeze mix?

The car does not overheat, everything works properly, I just get a gurgling after an intense acceleration.

UPDATE:

I just recently flushed the coolant as it was very filthy. May or may not have something to do with it.

Sometimes a flush exposes hose leaks. Borrowing a pressure tester from O'Reilly's will usually tell you where the leak is, and my bets are on something at the back of the head or under the intake plenum...you have my condolences in advance.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Driver

Common problem. It's your radiator cap. Buy the OEM one, not the one from a parts store.

MiataProtege

My mechanic buddy took a look at it and said it's the thermostat. I've purchased one and I plan on installing it myself tomorrow. Along with finally installing the rear spoiler I got with the purchase of the car (stock spoiler, nothing flashy). I'm quite worried about error putting this on... but I'm gonna go for it! Measure a million times before putting those holes in.

Your mechanic Buddy is clueless.

You may want to have someone read and explain the following to you. This is the part that applies to the current issue with the car (As was mentioned earlier in this post by goofygrin) :

Check your radiator cap

Your cooling system is a closed system, designed to build up pressure as the temperature rises. The higher pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant mixture. (Remember college physics?) When the temperature/pressure rises to the proper level, the valve in the radiator cap (yep, they have a valve - ever wonder what that spring is for?) causes the cap to open and the coolant to flow out to the overflow reservoir. As the coolant flows out, the pressure drops and the valve in the cap closes. As the engine cools, the valve opens in the other direction and the pressure drop in the radiator sucks the coolant back into the system, re-establishing equilibrium. Similar in operation to a thermostat, the cap can freeze up causing pressure problems in your cooling system, leading to an increased possibility of overheating. One symptom of a bad cap would be hearing a sound like a coffee percolator when you shut down. They are cheap enough that you should just plan on replacing yours every year or so. NAPA sells a "Stant" cap (part #703-1406) with a higher pressure rating than stock for about $8.95.
    Link to the full write-up - http://www.miata.net/garage/cooling_system.html

MiataProtege

Hmm... I'm not challenging your info but... the mechanic buddy literally works at a shop and they weren't busy at all, and we were talking about my regulator and how I zip tied it in to make the window work, and he said he had the clip laying around in the shop and he would put it on for free, so I let him take it in and put the zip tie on and he did a full check up on the car for free aswell, and he found that the thermostat needs to be replaced.

I just assumed he figured that out and that was the cause of gurgling. I never told him about the gurgling. I will be buying this cap now though.

I didn't mean to question you guys, he found a problem on his own and I figured that's what that meant was wrong with the gurgling.

Thank you goofygrin and POS.

So I wrote this really long sentence about how much smarter my friends are than everyone on this board and I decided to keep going and going because its a slow day and I just can't stop typing because this sentence is about zip ties and full check ups for free and I'm never going to stop typing, I will use a comma occasionally and I'll probably end this bad boy with a period or something to that effect, maybe an exclamation point depending upon my mood, which is really the essence of the exclamation point but this is not the type of sentence for it because this is a special sentence that never ends, until now.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    So I wrote this really long sentence about how much smarter my friends are than everyone on this board and I decided to keep going and going because its a slow day and I just can't stop typing because this sentence is about zip ties and full check ups for free and I'm never going to stop typing, I will use a comma occasionally and I'll probably end this bad boy with a period or something to that effect, maybe an exclamation point depending upon my mood, which is really the essence of the exclamation point but this is not the type of sentence for it because this is a special sentence that never ends, until now.

How about checking the antifreeze level in the overflow tank. If it is low it is possible to suck in air when cold and spit out antifreeze when hot. I take this all back, it is too fast,easy and cheap to check fluid levels.

MiataProtege

That's how I talk, enjoy. Randomly located, commas, and, a,l,l,

Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    You always use the cutest little emoticons.

MiataProtege

I was trying to be as nice as possible when explaining my logic for the mistake I made. Since it's all ridiculously cheap I'm just doing both. I'm sure you two are right and once again, thanks.

I got my thermostat, the little gasket for the thermostat, the OEM radiator cap, and my spoiler. Time to get busy, wish me luck on the spoiler.

If you're going to go with someone else's suspect advice no matter wtf we tell you, then there's no need for you to post in the first place. I, for one, will continue to poop in your threads because I find it enjoyable.

k thx bai!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    If you're going to go with someone else's suspect advice no matter wtf we tell you, then there's no need for you to post in the first place. I, for one, will continue to poop in your threads because I find it enjoyable.

k thx bai!
    I did go with their advice lol. I have a radiator cap OEM in my hand right now. The last few posts were explaining how I came to the misinformation of the thermostat. I paid $6 for the thermostat and $9 for the radiator cap. No reason to return the thermostat now since it's so cheap.

I am sorry.

MiataProtege

So.. apon further inspection... I have found that there is no thermostat in my car. Nothing but a mangled old gasket that I am currently drilling out with a wire brush. What's up with that? Also.... radiator cap alone fixed the gurgling.

Maybe I should just leave it alone with no thermostat? Or should I just put the one I bought in?
    Last edited by MiataProtege; 01-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Put in the thermostat. I'm going to guess it took forever for your heater to start blowing hot air, or the car to come up to temp. on the gauge.

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Put in the thermostat. I'm going to guess it took forever for your heater to start blowing hot air, or the car to come up to temp. on the gauge.

You would be correct sir. Mornings have sucked lately, would get to work before the heater started getting hot. Thermostat is going in! Thanks.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

MiataProtege

Thermostat is installed, new radiator cap on, but stalled on the rear spoiler... I have misplaced the little bag of assorted screws nuts and rubber stopper.

Where might I find these pieces on a Sunday afternoon and immediately have them? Or do I have to order them through Mazda or something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast