Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSX prices... wtf???

Default NSX prices... wtf???

So... I was sitting here watching a lot of Top Gear on YouTube and reminiscing about my old neighbor's low-miles '91 NSX, which I helped her sell on eBay for $29K... ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO...

Well, I thought to myself, "hey, I bet I could prolly pick up a decent NSX for about $15K by now..."

Um... NO.

At least not on eBay...

The cheapest legit one I saw was a '92 that had already BID to $19,600, with a Buy It Now of $25,800... and it had 131K miles on it!

I mean, it's a darn nice little car and all, but I had NO IDEA they were fetching this much money! Just thought I'd toss that out there... I have dreams of having a 911 one day, but an NSX would do in a pinch... however, I think I could get a decent Porsche cheaper than the ol' Honda (yes, yes, I know it would be a Honda... and it would always start on the first crank, and it would be as docile as an Accord and all that, but hey... where's the adventure???).

Has anyone else noticed this?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I think they hit rock bottom a while ago, it's still a semi-exotic car so it's probably never going to drop into the teens until they're all ragged out with a lot of miles in bad shape. If it was 15K I would be driving one right now.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I've always wanted one, but an s2k is more likely, naaaa I'll never buy one of them either.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I've always wanted one, but an s2k is more likely, naaaa I'll never buy one of them either.
    Hey Sharpie, I can get ya hooked up with a nice Berlina pretty easy~

But there was a thread on the S2K boards about when you'd be able to even buy an S2000 for under $10k. It seems like sports cars have a curve to their prices, fast at first then it levels out.

Shoot '99 Miatas still sell for twice as much as other yr 1999 cars.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

It's all about production numbers. The NSX could be this generation's Toyota 2000GT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Hey Sharpie, I can get ya hooked up with a nice Berlina pretty easy~

But there was a thread on the S2K boards about when you'd be able to even buy an S2000 for under $10k. It seems like sports cars have a curve to their prices, fast at first then it levels out.

Shoot '99 Miatas still sell for twice as much as other yr 1999 cars.
    I think it will be a long time before you see a S2000 drop below 10. Same thing with the M3, the 1995 first models are just now getting below 10K so it took 18 years to get to 25% residual.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Almost all cars have an exponentially decaying depreciation curve. That's why smart people buy used, and let someone else take care of the steep end of the curve.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I think it will be a long time before you see a S2000 drop below 10. Same thing with the M3, the 1995 first models are just now getting below 10K so it took 18 years to get to 25% residual.

'95 + 18 does not equal 2007. The E36 was not first available in 1989!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

It's that funny math
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Almost all cars have an exponentially decaying depreciation curve. That's why smart people buy used, and let someone else take care of the steep end of the curve.
    The "steep" end of the curve can be pretty long, these days. I've looked at Suburbans, Honda Odyssey vans, Miatas, 3-series Bimmers, and a variety of other vehicles in recent years. Looks to me like you have be looking at something at least 5 years old, probably more like 7 or 8 before it starts to flatten out. You don't see the huge drive-it-off-the-lot hit like you used to.

Granted the examples are all relatively high-residual-value cars. If you're looking at Kias or Oldsmobiles, it's bound to be a different story.
    '96 M-edition

LOL, wasn't all the way awake yet. I must've been thinking 8 years and typed an extra 1 since mine was a 97. Funny thing is E30 M3's built in 89 are still worth 10K.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

LOL, wasn't all the way awake yet. I must've been thinking 8 years and typed an extra 1 since mine was a 97. Funny thing is E30 M3's built in 89 are still worth 10K.
    And unmolested, clean ones are worth more than that, even with will over 100k miles. As cool as the E30 cars were, looks like you can get an E36 M3 for similar money in similar shape with similar miles. And for that matter, it's not much of a jump (if any) to get into an early E46 sport package - similar performance to an E36M, newer car, blah, blah, blah.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....

I suspect NSX prices have hit the floor for the forseeable future. There weren't many of them to begin with, and every year a few get wrecked (or worse, riced out )
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    There weren't many of them to begin with, and every year a few get wrecked (or worse, riced out )
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Is that the Honda you had before you picked up the Slammin' Salmon? I take it you riced it out, and then wrecked it?

You wish, I bought that Hon-Duh from POS
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    You wish, I bought that Hon-Duh from POS
    Whaaaaaaaaaaa ???????

I've had 4 Hondas in my time and the only one I ever liked I still have!

Side note = Slammin' Salmon LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Slammin' Salmon?
    LOL!

What can I say......I'm bored.

There's that 15k rule on the E30 M3s. They either cost $15k to get a nice one or your going to spend that much making it nice.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Correction the E36 was first available in 1992 with VANOS first being available in 1994. The first M3 E36 was available in 1995. The last year of the E30 hardtop was 1991 and the vert stayed in production for a few more years.

Clean E30 M3's are still pretty steep for a good one, but I have seen really nice E30's sell for $7-8K.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Your looking at at least 25k for and NSX and that is for an NA1 first gen. Any lower and you will be spending more than that to do all the work to make it nice like Thomas was talking about. Besides it cost $88k new and they didn't make a huge amount of them.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast