Thread: Using a cell phone and laptop to connect to Intarweb...

Default Using a cell phone and laptop to connect to Intarweb...

Anyone know how to use a cell phone connecting via Bluetooth to a laptop to connect to the web?

Basically situations where wireless is not available and using the data plan on the phone.

Yes.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Yes.

You're on a roll today.... aren't you?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post

I'm just preparing him for a life dealing with attorneys...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post

Yes... he is.

I'm just preparing him for a life dealing with attorneys...
    Is it any worse than avoiding certain types of priests in a monastery?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Anyone know how to use a cell phone connecting via Bluetooth to a laptop to connect to the web?

Basically situations where wireless is not available and using the data plan on the phone.
    Just hook it up exactly as shown in the photo!

And if my first example doesn't work go with plan B

I use my Samsung Blackjack which has 3G data and just use the supplied USB cable to get online on the road. The phone itself should have some sort of internet/data control panel to tether or there might be a client you can download depending on carrier.

I actually found my Miata in the middle of the desert on the highway between LA and Vegas surfing autotrader on my laptop with my phone tethered.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

The correct answer (like most computer questions) is it depends. You did not provide enough detail to even begin an analysis of the solution.

My Motorola Razor requires you to purchase a seperate piece of software to do this. (or find someone who has it already) Then you just plug in the phone with a USB or Blue tooth, run the client and away you go. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post

Like some others have said. You will need to tell us what phone you have and who your service provider is as well. Then you or someone else will search their knowladge documents looking for the tutorial on how to set it up.
    Blah blah blah!

From what I understand, most (if not all) blue tooth phones no longer can transmit data. only headset ect. We used both nextel and t-mobil with a usb cable, and for the past four years we have been using verizon's broad band cards. Anywhere you can get cell service it will work. In my Lake Worth office, we are getting about 3.6 down and .75 up. Its an extra 65 or so buck a month. For my company it is WELL WORTH IT!
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Sprint is offering the wireless web for ~$65 with a wireless web card that is dedicated to the internet.

I used my T-mobile phone as a web phone and it cost me about $30 per month for the data connection. I purchased the software from fry's.

Spritn offeres the software fro something like 70 bucks.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Sprint is offering the wireless web for ~$65 with a wireless web card that is dedicated to the internet.

I used my T-mobile phone as a web phone and it cost me about $30 per month for the data connection. I purchased the software from fry's.

Spritn offeres the software fro something like 70 bucks.
    When we were using our cell phone is the main drayback is speed. DOG A$$ SLOW, like 14.4k if I remember correctly. (28.8 compressed)
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I connected the other day at 368K with my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    When we were using our cell phone is the main drayback is speed. DOG A$$ SLOW, like 14.4k if I remember correctly. (28.8 compressed)

That all depends on if your phone is edge or evdo technology(dependant on GSM or CDMA) or if it is the older technology. EVDO is only about 2 years old. I think Edge is about 3 years.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica