Thread: Rant! Job Scams.... WTF?

Default Rant! Job Scams.... WTF?

here's one for ya.... Gf is tired of working as a waitress and is desparetely trying to find a new job... I'd say half of the places she calls and sets up an interview are just scams...

Ex 1)
    She called on one today (from the paper this time) she emailed her resume and they called back and set up an interview.. Went thru this whole interview for an office position for some fire protection equipment sales office and then at the end they say to be further considered for the position she will need to pay a $50 upfront application fee for "processing" or something like that.. What the heck is that!?

Ex 2)
    Then another one yesterday was a whole deal about goverment job placement agency.. setup an interview, setup a profile and then they'll find jobs for you... "Really, you're interested? Alright that

sounds great.. Let me go ahead and get you setup with that... How would you like to pay for the $75 listing charge?" Ummm... how about no?

but of course, no one ever *mentions* anything about a fee until like the END of the interview when they've been telling you how great of a candidate you are, and how they've got "just the job for you"

and you've already wasted like an hour filling out forms that apparantly aren't really going to do anything other than get you put on more mailing lists.. I suppose the longer they keep you there they figure the more likely you are to give them money because you've invested time? She spent like an hour waiting around at the placement agency yesterday only to find out that...

I mean there's always been the "Work from home! No experience necessary!" type of scams where you have to buy their packet to get setup and stuff, but these are like legitimate adds

from the paper and careerbuilder.com and stuff...

I didn't think it's legal to require someone to *pay* you money in order to be considered for a position? (even if there is a position that exists..)

And then there's the adds where you call and then they just flat out try to get you to buy a list of job openings... "It's only $75 for this list! If you don't find a job in 30 days, we'll refund your money! No questions asked!"

Or they reply to your resume online saying "we've found your resume and thought it would be good for this position." and it turns out it's a "headhunter" who wants you go pay

$$ to register to go to some career fair or who knows what else.. there's been like billion different schemes, all asking for $.

it just seems like half of the positings out there aren't actually for jobs, they just trying to make money off of people *looking* for jobs...

ok, I'm done.

[/rant]

Eric
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

The market is tough. People will exploit the deperation of others however they can.

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

I think that your right all that asking for $$$$$ is total crap all the government jobs I 've ever been on do a beackground check which costs $$ but hey deduct that from your 1st check so I think your in a river of stupid crap, Hope you can swim on out

rory

i had a drug/background check on one of my former jobs (target, easy but boring) and they paid for that and paid me for the training. they didnt even say i was hired, all tehy said was show up at this time for training, i was like sweet. 8 dollars an hour for a first job, wasnt to bad.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I make 8:50 for my first job raise to 9:50 here in a month :) and i sit on my ass all day

yeah, but you guys are young...

my 1st job was $4.85 an hour.. and that was good at the time... Did that for a couple summers then went straight to salaried internships...

Go ahead and make some of us feel OLD....

My first job? Sacker at Kroger in Irving. A whopping $1.65 an hour.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Man! You are old!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Was that ever in dispute?

But remember. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

$1.50 and that was more than minimum

I'm an old fart and will tell you every chance I get.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Also $1.65... at McDonald's... 1974. :afro:

3.35/hr Winn Dixie and Six Flags 1986. (flock of seagulls emoticon not available, whats up with that tailchaser?)

$2.15 working at Burger King.

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

My first job was working as a ranch hand in Bosque farms nm, we got paid more if we worked hard, not at all if we did'nt

rory

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    3.35/hr Winn Dixie and Six Flags 1986. (flock of seagulls emoticon not available, whats up with that tailchaser?)
    Ah someone my age. I got paid the same amount to do building and grounds maintenance and upkeep on roads.

Anyway, there is no way you should ever have to pay for job hunting or a head hunter. The headhunter I used to find my current job got paid by the company I hired on with and I got a paltry $3000 signing bonus.

Jobs are out there in huge supply if you have the right skill sets. The food plant where I work is bringing in 10-15 people every two weeks at about $9.50 / hour. This is for unskilled positions, and they do not require anyone to pay anything to hire on. As a matter of fact, I have never even heard of that until this thread. The plant where I work has grown from 100 people to 250 people in the past 6 months, and I've been here 3. I was one of those 150. The guys I supervise all make $12-$16 / hr in the maintenance department. One of them is set to make a lot more than I will this next year thanks to overtime, since I'm on salary (not always the best deal). Of course my paycheck, never fluctuates.

There are legitimate jobs and legitimate headhunters out there. I used monster.com myself and not careerbuilder. I got plenty of solid leads, contacts and interviews. Every interview I went too, they paid my travel expenses, hotel, and food for each day I was in the area and traveling. I went to a couple of interviews in the TX, AR, and OK area. This was all in the June / July timeframe.

Tell your GF not to get discouraged and keep searching. Waitressing at the right resteraunt can be lucrative. I once delivered pizza in a wealthy neighborhood and averaged $50-$100 a night in cash tips for 4 hours of work. It was pretty darn good for a totally easy no skills required part time job. The benefits were non existant, but the pay was good.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Another one from the same era here - $3.35 as a host at the Blackeyed Pea in '89.

Flock of Seagulls, the Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, New Order, the Smiths, the Cult, Love & Rockets... I went through that phase, too. I still love listening to Nina Blackwood's "New Wave Nation" early Saturday morning on the way out to Mineral Wells for events. Always makes me smile.

Somewhere I've still got a pic of my best friend and I both dressed to go clubbing, circa about 1990 - the teased Robert Smith hair, eyeliner, black clothing, the works.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    took the words right out of my mouth...