Thread: Is it normal?

Default Is it normal?

I just replaced the slave cylinder, bled the clutch and fill up the master cylinder reservoir to the max line. After driving for one day, the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir is now only half full! Is there something else is broken?

Gab
    Gabriel

Sure doesn't sound normal, any signs of a leak?

check the soft line running into the slave. I replaced mine with the ss braided line.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

You may need a dose of penicillin.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Probably needs to be bled.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Probably needs to be bled.

Air in lines, that would be my first check.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

There are two parts to the hydraulic clutch system. The slave cylinder which you replaced and the clutch master cylinder.

I'd bleed the clutch again until I'm confident there is no air in the system making sure to keep the fluid full as I do. If after that you still lose fluid, replace/rebuild the master clutch cylinder.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Double-check for leaks, for sure. However, it's possible that any air you did have in the line bubbled up into the master cylinder, causing the reservoir level to go down a bit.

+1 on re-bleeding just in case. That, and keep a close eye on the level and watch out for leaks. Does the clutch work okay now?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

The clutch paddle actually feels better than before. Just than it engage a little closer to the floor. Today the level drops to the middle between max and min line again. I guess it may be air in the line as I don't see obvious fluid on the ground even I pump the paddle several times om the driveway. I will keep an eye of the fluid level the next couple of days. I will let you guys know in a couple of days.

Thanks for the help!

Gab
    Gabriel

One thing you might want to try is to have someone pump the clutch pedal while you look under the hood at the reservoir with the cap off. If there is air in the line, sometimes you can see it bubbling up into the res...

As for leakage, you probably want to get in there and check all your connections to make sure they are dry and clean. The fluid could be pooling somewhere and not making it down to the ground. I don't know for sure where the slave cylinder is on the Miata, but they're usually on the top/side of the trans so the fluid would have a little ways to go before it hits the pavement.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds