Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looked at cars at the State Fair...

Default Looked at cars at the State Fair...

Looked at possible replacements for the TSX at the State Fair. I would prefer something a little cheaper than what I have, and it looks like the Civic is a big standout. I sat in several cars and outside of the funky dash, the Civic really blows the rest of them away! I am leaning towards the LX rather than the EX.

I wanted to try a Volvo C30, but they did not have any Volvo's at all. It costs a little more than what I wanted to spend, but I am willing to give it a try. I will have to go by a dealer.

I would also like to look at the Mini Clubman, but it will probably be too small. Whatever we buy will need to haul all of the GF's "needs" on a road trip. A trip to the dealer will be in order once they are available.

I still like the RX8 and I would be very tempted to buy a nice pre-owned blue one, but I need to wait until April.

A 128i would be great, but it might be too expensive and will probably hard to get at any discount whatsoever.

Cars removed from the list after sitting in them at the fair:

- Nissan Altima
    - Mazda 3
    - Suburu WRX
    - Suburu Outback -- I could not even get the GF to sit in it!

Any other ideas? I would like to stay under $28,000 (preferrably way under!), I need a clutch that functions via my left foot, and some semblance of sportiness would be nice. NO SUVs!

It will probably come out too late for you, but i am really interested in seeing the '09 Mazda3. From what I have read, they are applying the same gram-by-gram weight approach used in the design of the NC. The goal is said to be a lighter car, even though the car has grown in every dimension.

I like the Mini (the regular one)... a lot. It's a blast to drive, and I think you can fit plenty of crap in there (the GF can pack light, right? ). My friend got one new when they were still hot property (a couple of years ago) and only paid about $17K for it. It was a Cooper with plenty of options, but no supercharger.

You might look at the Audi A3 and/or VW GTI - I think either one of those would come in under budget, and certainly be fun to drive. Audi has a pretty good certified used car deal, too (all those lease returns!).

As much as I like Hondas the funky dash in the Civic is an absolute deal-killer for me. Hell, I don't even like the dash in the S2000!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Civic really blows the rest of them away! I am leaning towards the LX rather than the EX.

I would like to stay under $28,000 (preferrably way under!)
    We got my wife's '07 Civic EX for a little over $20k out the door.

NO SUVs!

Curious why you ruled out the Mazda 3? A friend of mine just picked up a new sedan. Rides great and its even cormfortable for my 6" frame in the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    You might look at the Audi A3 and/or VW GTI - I think either one of those would come in under budget, and certainly be fun to drive. Audi has a pretty good certified used car deal, too (all those lease returns!).
    The A3 or GTI might be a candidate, but I am very weary of their reliability. I would have to lease a new one, as off-warranty repairs on those cars get very expensive. As they say, never buy a VW product -- lease it and return in before the warranty is up.

YMMV, so no need for VW or Audi owners on this board to get all worked up.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    Curious why you ruled out the Mazda 3? A friend of mine just picked up a new sedan. Rides great and its even cormfortable for my 6" frame in the back seat.
    After sitting in the Honda, it just felt so much better than the 3. I really should drive, both, though. I like the exterior styling of the 3 more and and it's probably a sportier drive.

After sitting in the Honda, it just felt so much better than the 3. I really should drive, both, though. I like the exterior styling of the 3 more and and it's probably a sportier drive.
    I have driven both extensively through the California twisties and in freeway driving. The 2.0 Mazda3 is my dad's and it blew away the hybrid Civic (rental). A more powerful engine and better tires found in other Civic models may improve the Civic, but I didn't get the opportunity to experience that. As for the 3, the 2.0 motor did just fine, and I would likely choose it over the 2.3 for a daily driver. It was more fun in the twisties than my Mom's BMW Z3. I'll agree that the interior is nicer on the Civic, but the 3 interior really is not that bad.

...she doesn't like the Outback? I love those things for some reason
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    ...she doesn't like the Outback? I love those things for some reason
    Now I dislike them, too.

Now I dislike them, too.
    You're mean.

I'm starting to get the sniffles... I might just be at Pennington
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I might just be at Pennington
    Bring something to drink so you don't hurt your .

I test drove the MS3 and loved it, considering with every option it is only a hair over $25, you might want to drive one, and you get the advantage of the 5 door for more GF stuff
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Okay, it sounds like I really need to look at the 3 again. I will go drive one and also drive the Honda.

Okay, it sounds like I really need to look at the 3 again. I will go drive one and also drive the Honda.
    Just saw that you nixed that one after sitting in one at the Fair... I drove a regular 3 a while back and thought it was a really solid car. My buddy, on the other hand, thought the seats were hideously uncomfortable - but he's about 6'2" and lanky... and German... so he bought a used A4.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I need to hit the fair but this weekend is reserved for autocross. I really liked the STi limited they had last year. White with black leather interior and small lip spoiler

As for a fun car under 28 I think you could get a decently equipped Mini S for 25. My neighbor just bought a new non S with leather/auto for right at 20K. My second choice and third chioices would probably be MS3 or SI sedan in that segment though I doubt I could go back to FWD.

And if all things go well that nice pre-owned blue RX-8 should be gone by next week with a plastic toaster replacing it in a month or two.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10-11-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I need to hit the fair but this weekend is reserved for autocross.
    They really do not advertise it, but on Wednesdays, you get in for a buck with three canned goods. Plus, there is less of a crowd.

They really do not advertise it, but on Wednesdays, you get in for a buck with three canned goods. Plus, there is less of a crowd.
    That's pretty cool, looks like next wed night it is. Anyone want to make the wed night meet out of it?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Tuesdays you can get in for $3 with a Dr. Pepper can
    Wednesdays you can get in for free between 11:30-2:00 at the Grand St. entrance with a copy of the Quick. Catch: You have to leave by 2:00 or they charge you full price.
    Also for $1 with the three cans for the food bank.
    Thursdays you can get in for $4 with a Coca Cola Bottle.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast