Thread: Failed Inspection

Default Failed Inspection

Welp, yesterday I replaced my test pipe with a Jackson Racing cat and took it to the shop to get it inspected; unfortunately, I passed everything but the NOX emissions. So now I have 15 days to figure out what's wrong.

Anybody had the same issue? I need to figure out what's going on here... I'm not very knowledgeable about any sort of emissions testing.

Thanks for any help!

Car is a 1.6 NA.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

How close were you to passing, and do you have your timing set back to 10 degrees?

Reset the timing and get a stock cat... Titus had issues using a after market cat too.

Also, don't forget to run around and get that cat hot before you go in.

I've heard of a few JR cats failing too.

My FM cat has passed the last 5 years. Looks like Titus has one in the classified. Also JonWag's parts car may have a stock one.

Good luck
    Last edited by Sharpie; 10-16-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Timing is set at 14 degrees; I don't have a timing light or anybody to help with it at the moment. Is it that big of a deal?

Also they said I was double the passing level of emissions...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Timing is set at 14 degrees; I don't have a timing light or anybody to help with it at the moment. Is it that big of a deal?

Also they said I was double the passing level of emissions...
    $20 says it will pass if you set the timing back to 10 and re-test with the CAT hot.

I've got a timing light.

Stop by the house one evening and I'll help ya reset it. We can even mark the CAS with both 10 and 14 degree settings so you can move it back & forth with ease.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

the cat you got from me was supposed to be a stock Mazda cat with less than 1,000 miles on it

my 93 with 123k on it passed with flying colors

so if I stupidly gave you the JR cat that was in the same box, sorry, come get the right one

anyone know if the stock cat has heat shielding on both sides?

the one I have in my hand has that

the one Joel got from me only had shielding on one side

Joel, does it say JR on it?

and I have a timing light, but am not available till Monday; between out of town and appointments all over the metroplex, just got no time till Monday
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    I've got a timing light.

Stop by the house one evening and I'll help ya reset it. We can even mark the CAS with both 10 and 14 degree settings so you can move it back & forth with ease.

RJ
    I left you a message, but you no answer

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    Joel, does it say JR on it?
    No... but it does say Jackson Racing

I had a couple of very, very lousy days getting this inspection done. Today I went to see Rogue and got the timing adjusted,then due to that and the exhaust leak I struggled to just hit 50mph on the way back (I swear the car was DECELERATING when I would push the gas). Took it to Kwik Car again, and they said they weren't getting enough exhaust flow, probably due to the leak. So I took it to the muffler shop, and they put it on the lift, THEN asked me if I had gaskets. I told them I thought they had them (I asked yesterday). Nope. So I had to run like the dickens to the nearest import car center (that Nealb told me about) and they don't have them... so I had to go home, pick up my test pipe, and bring it back so they could find SOMETHING that would fit. They found a pair of gaskets that would work, so I bought them and went BACK home to pick up the Miata, then took it and got the gaskets put on, THEN went to Kwik Car once again, this time actually passing inspection.

And yesterday was even worse.

I have a very sore throat from screaming at traffic.

So anyway, I finally passed inspection (luckily I didn't bet against Titus) and I guess I now need to return the cat and install the test pipe again until I can buy another cat. I also need (desperately) to readjust the timing again. I feel like I have 50hp.

Thanks for the help, guys.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

If adjusting your timing back affected it THAT much then you probably have a bad crank pully. I have a bad one on the Spec. The inner & outer segments are misaligned which makes the timing marks off.

The car wouldn't even spin the rollers for the inspection until after I set the timing by ear - it passed. I have the new pulley but haven't put it on yet.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

If adjusting your timing back affected it THAT much then you probably have a bad crank pully. I have a bad one on the Spec. The inner & outer segments are misaligned which makes the timing marks off.

The car wouldn't even spin the rollers for the inspection until after I set the timing by ear - it passed. I have the new pulley but haven't put it on yet.

RJ
    What happened? The crank you got from me was good, I thought you took a good pulley as well.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

RJ
    I believe that's pretty much what Rogue suggested, and I think he was right (my timing mark was at exactly 12 O'clock). Guess I gotta get me a new one... if it ain't one thing it's another!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata