Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the record???

Default Whats the record???

Before I post a pic of my timeslip, what is the quickest 1.6L miata you guys know of? I don't want anybody stealing my thunder by a war story of a original block 1.6 miata going a couple tenths quicker. I'm siked! My first vist ever to a drag strip. Let me know!! My off bottle time is decent, on bottle.... some tig ole bitties!!!

Racing in a straight line? Where's the fun in that?

I like my race tracks like I like my woman. With lots of curves!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

te he!!!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

AMEN TO THAT
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

I used to be like that too in my autocross/road racing days with my MR2s, but theres something unusually fun in it. More skill than meets than eye. Unless youre at some fancy track with elevation changes, auto/road is fun but not as much skill unless in a car with 3 to 4 times the Miata power to weight ratio as people make it out. be smooth with all your inputs, drive the best line, keep your eyes looking ahead blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    I used to be like that too in my autocross/road racing days with my MR2s, but theres something unusually fun in it. More skill than meets than eye. Unless youre at some fancy track with elevation changes, auto/road is fun but not as much skill unless in a car with 3 to 4 times the Miata power to weight ratio as people make it out. be smooth with all your inputs, drive the best line, keep your eyes looking ahead blah blah blah
    So hitting the gas for 15 seconds and then parking it is fun?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    So hitting the gas for 15 seconds and then parking it is fun?
    Sounds like an autocross run at Pennington Field to me!
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

There is more than one way to enjoy auto racing. Let the man have his fun!
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

So what are the mods, how big of a shot are you running? Take it out to the motorplex or? Drag racing is fun every once in a while.

You don't like straight women? That explains a lot...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Sez the guy with the Dumbledore avatar...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So, what's your point?
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

and your time was????
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

8.52 @ 85 mph in the 1/8th, oh wait that was a 1.6L civic with open diff.

FWD 92 SE-R also ran 9.0 @ 73 all motor.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Can those times be right, or is my feeble old mind failing me? It's been soooooo long ago, but I recall my best 1/8th mile time was a 7:44 in a 1970 Camaro Z28 with turbo400, 2800RPM stall converter, 5:13 gears w/locked rear, 11" slicks, and a 450HP 350CID V8. Quarter mile I know was 11.68@118mph. All this in about 1978.

THEN, I found it was more fun to go left and right, up and down, instead of just straight!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    This coming from the guy that didn't like all the "ugly chicks" in Death Proof???
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Can those times be right, or is my feeble old mind failing me? It's been soooooo long ago, but I recall my best 1/8th mile time was a 7:44 in a 1970 Camaro Z28 with turbo400, 2800RPM stall converter, 5:13 gears w/locked rear, 11" slicks, and a 450HP 350CID V8. Quarter mile I know was 11.68@118mph. All this in about 1978.

THEN, I found it was more fun to go left and right, up and down, instead of just straight!
    If it ran an 11 in the quater thena 7 or so is about right for the eighth.

Having done lots of both I can say they are both fun........the main thing about drag racing is it is more of a test of the car, the driver is a much smaller portion of the equation but still very important in actual competion. Just going to the strip and running down the track takes no skill to speak of, but try going to few rounds at your local bracket race and you will find out how important a good reaction time is. Drag racing pretty much answers the old question........who's car is faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Oh really fool?! Not as much skill involved unless in a high hp car; I'd like to see your lap times from some road courses then! If that were true then everyone with a low hp car, such as the Miata would all be running similar fast times at the track.

I am curious as to how slow my car is at the drag strip!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

IIRC, Ric from Racing Mazda pulled just shy of 400 rwhp at a dyno day in Houston, then he ran a 10.9 quarter (I forget the trap speed). All that was on a stock 1.6 bottom end. Until it blew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast