Thread: Loaner Torque Wrench?

Default Loaner Torque Wrench?

Yes, I have this in two areas of the forum....just trying to spread the word!

I'm have suddenly found myself in a situation that requires a beam style torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds. I don't want to drop the coin to buy a new one since I'm only going to need the beam style for this one project. Can anyone around help???
    i need a better phrase...

I cant remember if autozone or o'rieleys lones out torque wrenches or not but you can check there. A torque wrench is actually a pretty handy tool to have. $40 will buy you a "decent" one.

He was looking specifically for a beam type in inch pounds. Not a clicker type like is sold most everywhere.

This picture is from JCWhitney.Com and is $13 from them. It goes 0-600 inch pounds.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    He was looking specifically for a beam type in inch pounds. Not a clicker type
    Why?

beam types arent all that accurate. If you are going to spend the money you might as well get a good one. The $40 I was telling him was for a beam type anyway... Craftsman sells them for $30 or you could spend an extra 40 and get an actual accurate wrench. Its all up to what you want anyway. I have a $200 dollar torque wrench I rarely ever use, but when I do it come in handy. If you work on cars a lot you get the feel for how much torque you are putting on something, even without a torque wrench

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Why?
    An example of where you might want a beam style torque wrench:
    Sometimes you want to find out where a torque tamer type sprocket clutch is going to slip, so that you can adjust it for the proper amount of torque before the sprocket starts to slip. In this case the clicker will not read like a scale and will not be of any use.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 10-29-2007 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rootdown_53 View Post
    I'm have suddenly found myself in a situation that requires a beam style torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds.
    "Inch Pounds" you brutes!

Yeah, and I had a hard time finding one on the internet that was less than 600 inch pounds(50 ft-lbs).

He probably was wantin in the 0-150 in-lbs range.

well 1 foot pounds = 12 inch pound force and I know that craftsman starts at zero because I used to have one. The problem is those craftsman or for that matter any cheap beam style torque wrench is not going to be accurate. What are you trying to torque anyway?

I've got one you can use

I was using my inch pound torque wrench yesterday when it stopped torqueing. It still worked okay as a wrench to unbolt, but not to tighten, which is when I usually need to know the torque. Headed off to Harbor Freight for a new free replacement, no questions asked.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    It still worked okay as a wrench to unbolt
    Why do you need/use a torque wrench to remove a fastener?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Why do you need/use a torque wrench to remove a fastener?
    South American torque wrench?

nobody local sells in/lb torque wrenches anymore because there is very little market for them. I got mine which is a KB 60 in/lb for $40 from an axle shop when i built a differential for a friend. In/Lb beam are the only torque wrench you should use to set up a bearing because you have to creep up on specs. when something like a bearing is set you have to use a beam because the click wrench won't click at the right spec because the bearing is slowly spinning. you can borrow mine if you still need one just pm me.

By the way sears wrenches don't register below 15 lb/ft and Snap On makes a digital clicker that goes from 10 in/lb to 150 ft/lb for $260 but still beams are the only thing you should use if there is bearing preload being measured such as a transmission or differential.

Sears sells an in/lbs torque wrench.

This is the one I have.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

when i was shopping for mine after sears was bought from k-mart and the warranty scandal was going on they went out of store stock and i was exclusively searching for a beam to set bearing preload