Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got some codes? I do...:)

Default got some codes? I do...:)

got two codes.
    Random misfire P0300
    and
    System too lean P0171
    Now the light is flashing at me, anyone know what it means when the check engine light starts flashing?
    p.s. I have driven over 1100miles to see if this might clear itself, I changed the oil yesterday and that's when the flashing started. Maybe I'm just lucky and the light is going off half the time now I just have to get my blinking down just right and it will look like the check engine light isn't even on. :)

I need to adjust the idle up a touch I know that cause it's settled in at 850 on the low end from 950. I am still not positive that a new ICV might fix this problem of random idle.

as always any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 10-29-2007 at 08:42 AM.
    99 Miata Black

Blinking means to stop the car immediately. Id check plugs first, and search for a code list here.

Not sure on the system too lean... Have you changed the fuel filter recently? It may be time.

The misfire could be: bad grounds, bad plugs, bad plug wires, bad coil pack.

When's the last time you changed the plugs and wires? Also, double check the engine ground wires to make sure they are clean and tight.

Like Majik said: Blinking means it's an OH SHIT error and you need to stop the car immediately to avoid damage. Running too lean with boost will grenade your engine... misfiring can also dump too much fuel into a cat which will destroy it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Perhaps we should ask "What was the last thing you did to the car???????"
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Last thing i did was change the oil and filter.
    the day the code started flashing, yesterday
    It has a new set of Live Wires put on when the SC/IC was done and a new set of plugs.
    The engine was rebuilt not long ago from top to bottom.
    We did have a problem with using the 350cc injectors and went with 320cc's instead. It was bogging under boost and backfiring. and bunny hopping down the road.
    The new injectors fixed this but the check engine light has been on since, and never cleared itself after driving more than 1200 miles.
    I have not changed the fuel filter, I guess that's a good place to start....I have seafoamed the engine , gas and , intake manifold regularly.
    I thought about clearing the code by unhooking the battery to see if they come back and then having it read again.

I'm really at my wits end, before the SC/IC the car was running great so I know it's something simple like an adjustment but don't know what it might be.
    The jumping around stopped after the injector change, before that I thought it might be the coil pack, it's running strong with lots of power but it seems to be running rough at idle and shaking but I do have the MS motor Mounts on the car.

Does that help? basically I have done everything getting ready for the install including the PPF to make the drivetrain more rigid.
    Do you guys think I should buy a new coil pack and start there?

Now I'm scared to drive the car.
    99 Miata Black

Billy why don't ya talk to the guy who installed the S/C he has more experience than anyone on this 2 bit board, that is where I would start!

I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible.
    I checked and one plug wire seemed to be loose i heard it snap when i pushed down on it. (the closest to the back firewall at the coil pack)
    I cranked the car and it still running rough and the idle is dipping to 750-800 rpms but is rough even at 900-1000rpms, the idle fluctuates. this happened once before when I got the dirty intake manifold code after cleaning it.

So I plan on adjusting the idle up to keep it from dipping so low.

It's running like a lobing cam in a V8 though if that helps give a visual.

Thanks for the info about the flashing check engine light!
    99 Miata Black

New S/C, new intercooler, smaller than "normal" injectors(for an S/C, and a lean engine code?????? I would call Gary NOW! ...or, there's a vacuum line off somewhere.
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Could it be an idle control valve? That could cause an idle that jumps around. I dont know if it would be connected to a CEL though.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Could it be an idle control valve? That could cause an idle that jumps around. I dont know if it would be connected to a CEL though.
    It could certainly cause the idle jumping around, but I think that is a secondary problem. I would FIRST try to find out what is causing that flashing check engine light.

I have often thought the idle probelm was the ICV, just a gut feeling after reading some of the symptoms.
    Gary gave me some suggestions that I am going to try.
    I wonder if the powercard just needs to be set to dump slightly more fuel.
    as i said the 350cc's were too much the 320cc's were in another similar setup car and worked great in it. i will be checking for a loose or "off" vacum hose as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
    99 Miata Black

Cleared the codes myself, and I started the car to warm it up (never left the driveway) and a check engine light is back on.
    This after the idle dipping as it does and running rough as before mentioned.

I guess I will let it sit untill I can scrounge up 250. + shipping for a new coil pack to see if that fixes the problem, then on to a ICV at another 2-3 hundred eventually I guess I will figure out what the problem is.
    If I buy new then i know it won't be another bad part which could cause further misdiagnosis.

I'm kind of really frustrated, I hate to say it but if that don't get it...it will be time to pull the SC/IC and go back to stock...the engine was running fine before that....I'm on the road traveling all over Tx. too much to not have a dependable car.

Sorry for the rant.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    We did have a problem with using the 350cc injectors and went with 320cc's instead. It was bogging under boost and backfiring. and bunny hopping down the road.
    The new injectors fixed this but the check engine light has been on since, and never cleared itself after driving more than 1200 miles.
    Cleared the codes myself, and I started the car to warm it up (never left the driveway) and a check engine light is back on.
    This after the idle dipping as it does and running rough as before mentioned.
    So is it blinking or just on like it has been for the past 1200 miles or so??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What does your SC support person have to say? $500 worth of parts is not smart troubleshooting IMO, but then again it's NMC.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What does your SC support person have to say? $500 worth of parts is not smart troubleshooting IMO, but then again it's NMC.
    Yup... I'd suggest a frank an honest discussion with your SC support person before I plunk down $500 to maybe fix the problem. Anyway, he probably has parts you can borrow to see if it fixes the problem first.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'll give you two-fity for your supercharger.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I have often thought the idle probelm was the ICV, just a gut feeling after reading some of the symptoms.
    Gary gave me some suggestions that I am going to try.
    I think what you really need right now are solutions not suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So is it blinking or just on like it has been for the past 1200 miles or so??
    It's just on again now.
    Gary says if it's not having trouble under gas then it's not the coil pack.

Every since i did the intake manifold cleaning I have had an idle problem never before that, I had a post when this happened about the idle going up and down.
    I took it over to Gary's and he fixed it somehow, now it's back again, but this time with the added bonus of running really rough.
    I am wondering if it's the ICV, or if it's just a lean issue.
    I talkeed to Gary again, and I will be taking the car back over there to see if he can get her fixed up.
    I really wouldn't be too concerned driving locally but I have been making some 600 mile round trips to play music and hate to think it might die on the road somewhere 4+ hours from home.

when the idle problem started after cleaning the intake manifold long ago, i pulled that thing off and put it back on like 3 times and still couldn't get it to quit acting crazy.
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

when the idle problem started after cleaning the intake manifold long ago, i pulled that thing off and put it back on like 3 times and still couldn't get it to quit acting crazy.
    Have you ever replaced the intake manifold gasket? Is it on correctly? I used to have an idle drop and an intermittent CEL (forget the code). I replaced that gasket (OEM metal one) and that problem went away.

i thought about that, but Gary said it was still a good gasket.

I guess that's a good place to start, i will probably order one
    99 Miata Black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast