Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is to swap out the dampers?

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    I think my choices are down to KYB, Bilstien HD. Koni is out for 2 reasons. It is $600/set and I do not like the adjustment knob on the top that I have to cut into the lining of the trunk.

Gab
    Since I got the POSIII I have never adjusted the rear shock.

I do however adjust the fronts regularly!

YMMV

Since I got the POSIII I have never adjusted the rear shock.

I do however adjust the fronts regularly!
    I didn't know you have the Koni in POSIII. So, you use the same setting of the rear both on the street and AX?
    Gabriel

I didn't know you have the Koni in POSIII. So, you use the same setting of the rear both on the street and AX?
    I don't think they're standard koni yellows
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Talking

Yep, I have never adjusted the rears since I got the car back in September of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I don't think they're standard koni yellows
    No they are not standard yellow koni's previous owner got them from :

I have HD's with 450/375 springs at 13.5" ride height. They are a bit rough on the street, but great on the track. Bilsteins last a really, really long time. They also perform just as well as the $1000-2000 dampers out there when you look at shock dynos. I'm very impressed with thefeel and performance of my dampers. I would only replace them with ohlins. The FCM valving is too expensive.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    They also perform just as well as the $1000-2000 dampers out there when you look at shock dynos. I'm very impressed with thefeel and performance of my dampers. I would only replace them with ohlins. The FCM valving is too expensive.
    Ummm.... yeah.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think my choices are down to KYB, Bilstien HD. Koni is out for 2 reasons. It is $600/set and I do not like the adjustment knob on the top that I have to cut into the lining of the trunk.

The out of the store price for KYB is $328 and Bilstein HD is $372. I am leaning toward the Bilstein. The $ difference is not that much. Plus the fact I don't like to get under the car to make the adjustment each time I AX. I have the KYB on my the other Miata and burnt my arm once on the hot muffler!

I hope the Bilstein HD is close to the OEM Bilstein in ride quality and performance. By the way, it has lifetime warranty!

Gab

If cost is the only thing keeping you from the koni I have found that it is cheaper to buy the one you want than to compromise. Buying something I am not happy with because it was cheaper only to turn around and buying the one I wanted has cost me $$$.

On the NA I was able to get my little hand and arm through the hole and adjust the koni without cutting the panel. I like having the option to adjust the shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Ummm.... yeah.

WHAT???

No moment?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12