Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS info needed

I'm a fan of the Nuvi - very slick, and more features than the ones from Magellan. I'm looking into getting one myself so I don't have to pack the car with maps on long trips!

Also, from what I understand, Garmin releases downloadable map/info updates on a weekly (?) basis...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I went with at tom tom, 510, nice compact and easy once you figure out how it likes to plan trips... picked it up on woot.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I went with at tom tom, 510, nice compact and easy once you figure out how it likes to plan trips... picked it up on woot.com.

Yep, I got the same deal, it was either 150 or 200 bucks forgot which.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Default GPS info needed

Thinking of getting a portable GPS for the wife for Christmas. Would prefer one that I can leave hooked to 12v rather than relying on internal battery, and want one with a good (secure and easy to mount/remove) mounting system.

Looked at Consumer Reports and they recommend two units.

Magelland Roadmaster 2000 and Garmin StreetPilot c330

anyone have input on pros or cons of those two brands or those units?

or other units I should consider?
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Talking

I've had a couple of Magellan's and they have been great units, actually Onething has my old one since he left his old Magellan hooked up and visible to some SOB who swiped his....

I currently have a Magellan 4050.

http://www.magellangps.com/

YMMV see dealer for details.

I'm a big Magellan fan and have had one for over 4 years. I just bought my second unit a few months ago and love it.

My only experience with a Garmin was when I had one in a rental car back during the Memorial Day weekend. It sucked. Part of it was poor AI on the voice, part was the f-ed up way it gave directions.

The stupid thing wouldn't talk until you were right at your exit on the highway so there was a lot of doubling back when it would say "right turn" as you passed your exit. There wasn't any "right turn in 2 miles"... "right turn in .5 miles"... "approaching right turn"... etc. Now I do admit that it could've easily been some silly setting that a previous user set.

On the topic of the AI and the voice... It was set to use the Austrailian voice and the girl was talking about "right turn on bucky doctor" and we (wife & I) were saying "WTF?" until we looked up at the street sign and it said "Buckeye Drive"

YMMV but I've been very satisfied with the Magellan units. My only gripe on them is the sexy voice I had on my old model (which was the same as the lady's voice on the older Hertz unit) is no longer. They have a different, computerized voice now. The old model really did give "good voice" ;D hehehe

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have a Magellan without "Text to Speech" where it reads off street names so you don't have to look at the display.

Have been looking at this one: http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navi...-32461192.html

it has good reviews, it's inexpensive & had a wide following of hackers.

Unfortunately I keep buying HD TV's this week, and I just can't swing it at the moment.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Default Garmin

I have 2 garmin units that I use on the car and motorcycle.

76cx for the bike and hand carrying. This one does not talk, but beeps
    2610 touch screen with remote for the car. This one talks and gives plenty of warning of upcoming turns.

both units are excellent. I have had them for over 2 years and had no issues with either unit.

I trade routes with other motorcycle riders. Garmin is far and away the most popular with the bike crowd.
    Cmartin
    Carrollton, TX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12