Thread: Leaks in the past month

Default Leaks in the past month

First, there was the worn lower radiator hose.
    Then, corrosion (!!) of the coolant bypass pipe caused more coolant flow to the ground. YAY!
    Next up, a week after the coolant issue was put to bed, the front crank seal started weeping...and has gotten progressively worse (seals arrived today).

Any bets on what gasket, seal, sensor or freeze plug will let go next? Winner gets a cookie.

On a related note, would anyone care to recommend a source for a stock-size piston ring set + rod & main bearings? Want to get started freshening up the other engine pretty soon, here.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    First, there was the worn lower radiator hose.
    Then, corrosion (!!) of the coolant bypass pipe caused more coolant flow to the ground. YAY!
    Next up, a week after the coolant issue was put to bed, the front crank seal started weeping...and has gotten progressively worse (seals arrived today).

Any bets on what gasket, seal, sensor or freeze plug will let go next? Winner gets a cookie.

On a related note, would anyone care to recommend a source for a stock-size piston ring set + rod & main bearings? Want to get started freshening up the other engine pretty soon, here.
    Yikes! Sounds like good times...

My money's on a head gasket next...

How about Eddie in Arlington for your parts? I just had him clean up the '99 head I bought from johnwag.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Next to go.......rear main seal. Just a plain sugar cookie will be fine, thank you.

Sorry you are having so many leaks.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

man cone-cerned you stole my guess .... either that or a CAS O-ring
    07 civic si sedan -- the new toy
    92 miata-dead 85 VF500F, 01 750 Ace Deluxe
    furry friends -- sibes - lakota, anana, baby - schnauzers - roxie, tater --- MUTT -- Aero()
    - gus gus and gidget -- birds - stewie & Libby

Partsdinosaur.com

I ordered a full set of hydraulic lash adjusters and a set of main bearings.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

http://rockauto.com/ has been good to deal with for me.........

Little update...

Dug into the car today, replaced the front main seal, which was indeed the culprit. In the process, I found that the crank timing belt gear has seen better days but is still reasonably useful.

One or both of the cam gears seem to not be timed properly despite my best efforts. If anyone wants to pop by fairly early on Monday to show me wtf I didn't do right, that would be great!

I also happened to break the wire going to the temp sensor in the thermostat housing. The wire broke right at the connector to the sensor. Just gets better & better, it seems.

Anyone happen to have one of these connectors with a little loose wire on it? Not sure I'd trust the car getting to a dealership.
    Then again, Enterprise will pick me up, I'm told.
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

You MUST follow the procedure in the shop manual. If you don't the belt tension will not be correct.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

It's not hard... you'll need to crescent wrenches and a C clamp to get (and keep) them lined up to put the belt on correctly. There are some hex pieces on the cams that the wrenches fit on. turn the cams to get them lined up then clamp the wrenches in place.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Blackroadster has a nifty tool that slips between the cam gears to hold them in the proper position while you slip the belt on. Unfortunately, I have no clue what it is or where you get one...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Blackroadster has a nifty tool that slips between the cam gears to hold them in the proper position while you slip the belt on. Unfortunately, I have no clue what it is or where you get one...

He can borrow it from me.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

Yeah, I know that spacer. As I recall, it didn't fit in the cam gears in the 1.6 I had in his garage a couple of years back.

Bo dropped by and showed me the two-wrench-and-a-vise-grip method on Monday morning. Also rigged up a li'l spade connector as a temp replacement for the coolant temp connector. What a lovely morning!

Another option is binder clips to hold the belt on the cam gears.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)