Thread: NewB asking for advice

miataintx

Default NewB asking for advice

Not sure where to post this so mods move it if needed.

I am a newB to Miata's and therfore Autocross. I am really looking forward to partcipateing. My current hobby is off roading and outdoor activities. The Miata became available so I snatched it up.

I am posting here for some individual support and expertise. I bought the 91 from an avid hobbyist that issues came up and he had to sell. He had flown to Utah from Dallas to get it. The previous owner and builder had health problems and sold.

So I would like to have someone tell / show me what I have. I know the cosmetics are nice and the engine was replaced with a 1.8 recently rebuilt from scratch. It is a salvage title from Utah so it has me a bit skeered

I am in Waco and have only seen a few Miatas and they are unkempt and look like just a daily driver for them.

If you are willing to help me I am willing to drive to you (within reason )

Anyway hope to see you all out and about!

Blue Skies,
    Roger

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by miataintx View Post
    So I would like to have someone tell / show me what I have. I know the cosmetics is nice and the engine was replaced with a 1.8 recently rebuilt from scratch.
    Welcome aboard! Not exactly sure what you're looking for. Can you explain further?

A '91 model with a 1.8 engine will land you in (T)CSP class. The 'T' is if you run on street tires vs. r-compounds.

If you want to try autocross, check out the Solo school at http://www.autocross.com/tr/modules/news/. It is great for first-timers and a good value, especially since the price includes an actual autocross event, too.

miataintx

I would like someone with experience look my ride over and tell me what I have and what I would need. I am not sure what if any upgrades have been installed and I can't get in touch with the gentleman in Utah that owned it before it came here to Dallas.

Post up some pictures and I am sure some eagle eyes here can tell you some of the major upgrades. Specifically the difference in engine and other parts. If you are looking to autoX come to an event and look for one the group of miatas. I am sure those guys can look the car over and tell you a class.

Yes, just bring it to out to the next event. Get there a littler early and start looking for the Miata crowd. You can't find a more helpful and friendlier bunch! If you are not sure you want drive in the first event, it is OK. There will be enough guys around to help you out with your car and you may also hitch rides from us too.
    Gabriel

Arent the Porsche guys doinga school soon also?
    i did AutoX 102 and it was fun and informative and a good value as well.
    99 Miata Black

The Prosche guys do has my vote! It is the TCB deal! They are nice guys/girls too!
    Gabriel