Thread: Dear Abby

Default Dear Abby

Dear Abby;

I've never written to you before, but I really need your advice on what could be a crucial decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs... Phone rings but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them."

I always stay awake to look out for her taxi coming home, but she always walks down the drive, although I can hear a car setting off, as if she has gotten out of the car round the corner. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a taxi? I once picked her cell phone up just to see what time it was and she went berserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided I was going to park my Miata next to the garage and then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the whole street when she comes home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my Miata, that I noticed that the left rear shock was leaking a little oil. Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Titus

Driver
    Blog Entries

You forgot to answer the questions that we all are really wondering about - what brand of shock absorber, how old is it, and did anything happen that you think triggered the leak?
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Dear Abby;

I was thinking about making a new thread reposting of a joke from the beginning time. Should I do it or not?

Thanks,

Titus

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Dear Abby;

I was thinking about making a new thread reposting of a joke from the beginning time. Should I do it or not?

Thanks,

Titus
    Dear Titus,

No, you should not. That is Black Roadster's job.

Thanks,

Abbey
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Titus. Sorry to hear about the shock. Oh... and your wife is cheating on you.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Dear Abby;

I've never written to you before, but I really need your advice on what could be a crucial decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs... Phone rings but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them."

I always stay awake to look out for her taxi coming home, but she always walks down the drive, although I can hear a car setting off, as if she has gotten out of the car round the corner. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a taxi? I once picked her cell phone up just to see what time it was and she went berserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided I was going to park my Miata next to the garage and then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the whole street when she comes home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my Miata, that I noticed that the left rear shock was leaking a little oil. Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Titus
    Dear Titus,

While the hang ups, girls-night-outs, and over reactive cell phone responses are circumstantial at best, I think it's safe to say that the leaking shock is far more important than your marriage.

That said, I would suggest you check the shock absorber for any dents or creases. Perhaps a small stone is wedged inside the o-ring. You may have to remove and disassemble the shock for a thorough inspection but the cause of the leak should be apparent.

However, if nothing appears wrong with the shock, you may want to check the condition of your left rear fender and/or trunk. You may notice in this area several scratches or rubs where you wife fornicated since the car lacks a back seat. These things happen sometimes.

As to your question of whether you should repair it or not. I would say that unless you have had experience in this area you should probably let your dealer handle this. These things can be quite explosive under pressure and you don't want to blow a seal unless your name is Heidi Klum.

Abby