Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressors -

Talking Air Compressors -

Of these three, which would you pick and why? Any other brands I should be shopping for instead? Thanks!

or

or

I would go to Home Depot and show them the Lowes offer for free tools. Then get the Husky with matching tool offer from them or walk. First thing I would want is highest SCFM rating. Then low maintenance, then added tools, then dB level.

I was under the impression that SCFM is a volume rating and is more important than PSI. It allows for better torque and if you intend to use impact tools this is important.

I would also compare whatever you lean towards to a comparable Craftsman just because Sears is good about generous free tool kits with comps that size.

Of the three I see, only the Husky is belt driven. I would not want a direct drive as they are noisier and more of a trow away compressor when they break. They generally do not last as long, either.

The Husky, on the other hand, is belt driven. If you need a new compressor after the warenty is out, you can go to Habor freight and buy one for $80 to replace it. Also the heads are about $15-20 for the read valve plates and very simple to replace. Usually, the initial cost of belt drive compressors are $100 more than direct drive.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

The Husky; it's prettier.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Of the three I see, only the Husky is belt driven. I would not want a direct drive as they are noisier and more of a trow away compressor when they break. They generally do not last as long, either.

The Husky, on the other hand, is belt driven. If you need a new compressor after the warenty is out, you can go to Habor freight and buy one for $80 to replace it. Also the heads are about $15-20 for the read valve plates and very simple to replace. Usually, the initial cost of belt drive compressors are $100 more than direct drive.
    Great point.

Talking

I got a at least 10 year oil direct drive unit run it pretty much every weekend, it's held up very nicely. It's a Craftsman BTW.

Be leary of the Harbor freight replacement compressors, tried one on the world headquarters compressor when it died and the thing wouldn't even pump up to 100psi, 2nd one worked better but I'm thinking life span on it will be limited. Offshore crap. YMMV

But if I was to get another one I'd swipe Onething's belt driven antique it's sweet and so so quite.

I agree the Husky for the belt ddrive feature the CFM rateing and the larger storage tank. I am constantly having to wait for my compressor to fill back up when I run my plasma or cut off wheel.

The one thing I don't see is the duty rating on any of those.

I've had one like number 3 for ten years going strong.

The small one is useless unless your blowing up a tire, or airbrushing.
    They will run out of air quickly, using air tools.
    The big ones are not big enough to run, say a DA, but run an impact or air wrench nicely.

I also would go belt drive.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

+1 for belt drive.

PS
    My compressor floats!

Bean,

Is there a reason you didn't look at this one for $15 more? Or did you not want a 220v one? It appears to move a lot more air.

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Bean,

Is there a reason you didn't look at this one for $15 more? Or did you not want a 220v one? It appears to move a lot more air.
    I was concerned about the sheer size of the thing... and how easily it would/could be moved if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I was concerned about the sheer size of the thing... and how easily it would/could be moved if necessary.
    That's what she said...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

That's what she said...
    You wish...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    No... it' pretty much true!

I didn't realize you boys were intimate...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Bean,

That's the one I would get. You can always buy you some 3/4" pvc and run it around the garage if you want extra outlets. My father did that 15 years ago in his hangar and he hasn't had any issues with using th pvc lines. His compressors usually last between a year and a half to three years due to the continual use. It runs 24/7 cycling on and off every 10-15 minutes. He runs a salt spray chamber.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I've had a Husky for about 5 years now -- I'd buy another.

I don't know how true it is, but the rumor I've heard is that the company that makes Husky for Home Depot used to make Craftsman tools. Husky honors Craftsman warranties as well.

In general, I haven't been dissatisfied with any of my Husky products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Old sales guy at Lowes told me you would never find the same model of any tool at any other store. He said Lowes, Depot, Sears, HF all set their specs and went to manufacturers for bids. Well, maybe not HF.

Belt drive, and not oil less is what I'd want. Quiet is nice if you're going to try to work in the same room. Little bro has his in a lean-to shed just outside the shop.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Like other's have said, go belt drive and oil lubricated. I had a C&H 13 gal direct drive that was pretty noisy and couldn't keep up with sand blasting.

Last year I got a Craftsman

It's really quiet and fills up in a snap

Last time I looked the Husky and Kobalt ones were made by Campbell Hausfeld.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 02-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast