Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is going to be some storm

Default This is going to be some storm

They are now forecasting up to 5" for the area, and it has already sleeted enough here in the past 15 minutes to make road surfaces slick.

Here too... my lawn is white.

It's just raining in Euless.... for now.

Can someone explain to me the difference between rain, freezing rain, sleet, hail, and snow? Out it California, we just had rain and snow.

I can't BELIEVE I chose this time to drop my Miata with Rogue to get the new finish panel painted and installed. This is going to be the best driving weather of the year, and I'll have to use a FWD Integra
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I can't BELIEVE I chose this time to drop my Miata with Rogue to get the new finish panel painted and installed. This is going to be the best driving weather of the year, and I'll have to use a FWD Integra
    It's a got a handbrake, doesn't it?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Can someone explain to me the difference between rain, freezing rain, sleet, hail, and snow? Out it California, we just had rain and snow.
    Yes
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    DUde... just stop at McD's and get some serving trays... Insert them under the rear wheels... and... well... you'll figure it out.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Yes
    Prick.

Rain: falling water (you really needed that one?)

Freezing rain: starts as snow, falls through a warmer layer of air and melts, then refreezes as it approaches the ground.

Sleet: sorta like baby hail

Hail: big enough to tear stuff up

Snow: frozen water with crystalline structure
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Prick.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    It's a got a handbrake, doesn't it?
    It's just not the same

DUde... just stop at McD's and get some serving trays... Insert them under the rear wheels... and... well... you'll figure it out.
    LOL, one of the ricer douchecanoes where I used to live did that in his CRX, but on regular pavement
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Rain = water
    freezing rain = water all the way to the ground, freezes on contact with ground
    sleet = water to lower atmosphere, freezes in lower atmosphere before ground
    hail = freezes and is lifted by updrafts (getting bigger all the while) - requires thunderstorms for the updrafts
    snow = freezes in upper atmosphere

freezing rain = water all the way to the ground, freezes on contact with ground
    sleet = water to lower atmosphere, freezes in lower atmosphere before ground
    hail = freezes and is lifted by updrafts (getting bigger all the while) - requires thunderstorms for the updrafts
    snow = freezes in upper atmosphere
    Thanks.. that helps. I assume freezing rain is pretty rare?

Thanks.. that helps. I assume freezing rain is pretty rare?
    Not really... I've seen it once a year or so in Texas... It's all just a matter of where the cold air is... If the rain is coming from a warm air mass, then the ground can be below freezing, but the lower atmosphere is not...

Yep, had some sleet here in Bedford. I thought I'd be able to get out today, but I'll stay in.

I will be driving tomorrow morning about 5:30 to get to work. I'm leaving early and driving slow!
    Randy (who'd rather be )
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    2005 Saab 9³ Arc 2.0L Turbo

Wow that map is amazing... didnt think DFW would be in the 3" - 5" band!

Probably 3" at Propwash already!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Probably 3" at Propwash already!
    Snow, or sleet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast