Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IPOD over FM Radio

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

Default IPOD over FM Radio

Does anyone have any experience with the FM Transmitters that you can use to play your IPOD over your FM radio? I know they're not supposed to be the best quality sound in the world but our Miata's aren't exactly concert halls either.

I just want to be able to listen to my 'tunes' while I'm screaming down the highway.

I drove to Louisiana last year with a friend who had one of these. The biggest hassle was having to frequently retune to a different frequency as we traveled. The sound quality wasn't that great, and the constant retuning was irritating.

What year is your Miata? If it is new enough to have a factory head unit that can control a tape deck or CD changer, then you should be able to hardwire an MP3 adapter to it. Much better solution imho. I bought am AuxMod for my RX-8, and I've been very happy with it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

Mine is a '90, it's got an aftermarket but it's about worn out as well. I was thinking about buying something with a jack to allow you to plug in an MP3 player.

The tuning thing is for when a local radio station starts broadcasting on the frequency you're using for the IPOD, right?

Skip the FM modulator. I found one of the nicer ones for sale at Marshalls and gave it a try for a day. It had a remote and everything so you could throw the ipod in the glove box and still control it.

Due to sound quality and tuning issues, I returned it the next day.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I had good luck with the Griffin iTrip (the big one that fits old iPods)... I had some problems with interference sometimes, but I never messed with re-tuning it, and that probably would've solved the problem. On the other hand, my buddy had one for his iPod Mini and it worked flawlessly, no matter what.

I've also used the old standby cassette-tape adaptor (if you've got a tape deck in your car).
    Last edited by trickyrix; 03-06-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by jsforrest View Post
    Mine is a '90, it's got an aftermarket but it's about worn out as well. I was thinking about buying something with a jack to allow you to plug in an MP3 player.

The tuning thing is for when a local radio station starts broadcasting on the frequency you're using for the IPOD, right?
    If you're considering an aftermarket deck with aux-in - do it. The FM modulators sound crappy at best. I have a cheapo $125 Sony that has an aux-in on the front panel - and it plays MP3 and WMA from CD. Even with the factory speakers (since replaced) it sounded much better than the "upgrade" system in my '96 M.

LINK I got mine at Best Buy, but looks like Crutchfield has dropped the price to $100. Unfortunately it looks like they've also changed the illumination from green to orange, but what can you do?

Good Luck
    '96 M-edition

I meant to also add that I now have a head unit with an iPod interface (the Alpine 9885) - which is as easy to use as the iPod itself. Not cheap, but worth it if you use your iPod a lot in the car.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I bought a DLO Transpod 2 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7750178&st=DLO&type=product&id=1 140394452644), and it works fine. Sounds no worse than any radio station, and I get to pick my own music (I've never been able to find the Oompah channel on the radio ). I haven't taken a long trip with it, so I don't know if I'll experience the same "frequency hunt" issues that altiain did, but I'm reasonably satisfied with the unit.

My next car will have an iPod adapter...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I've tried a few FM modulators and they all sucked. I'd say you're stuck with a tape adaptor or switch your HU out to aftermarket and get an aux or ipod cable.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Default Auto Link is the answer

The best solution is a AutoLink for you radio.

It allows you to operate the Ipod from your radio controls.

If you have steering wheel controls, it even works there.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_i...roducts_id=142

$124.95 and there is a $15.00 discount code if you want to dig it out of the forum.

I have a autolink and it is plug and play with the radio. Put you Ipod in the glove compartment out of site and you are set.
    Cmartin
    Carrollton, TX

The biggest problem you'll have with the FM tuner in a Miata is the road and engine noise will get pickedup and played through your speakers. Like when you rev your motor you'll hear that, through your speakers, over your music.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
    The best solution is a AutoLink for you radio.

It allows you to operate the Ipod from your radio controls.

If you have steering wheel controls, it even works there.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_i...roducts_id=142

$124.95 and there is a $15.00 discount code if you want to dig it out of the forum.

I have a autolink and it is plug and play with the radio. Put you Ipod in the glove compartment out of site and you are set.

I don't think that works for a 90 Miata...I did have one in my RX-8 and liked it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

+ 1 on the Griffin iTrip. I have used one with my iPod Mini for several years in my Honda Civic LX (no CD player). The closer the transmitter is to your radio the better. Keep in mind the iTrip is powered by your ipod so you will need to keep it charged. I have a 12V ipod charger that i use with it.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    + 1 on the Griffin iTrip. I have used one with my iPod Mini for several years in my Honda Civic LX (no CD player). The closer the transmitter is to your radio the better. Keep in mind the iTrip is powered by your ipod so you will need to keep it charged. I have a 12V ipod charger that i use with it.
    Shouldn't it be the closer the FM transmitter is to the antenna the better?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Shouldn't it be the closer the FM transmitter is to the antenna the better?

In the 1998 Honda Civic LX there is a small storage compartment to the right of the factory stereo. The iTrip works best in my Civic when it it placed in this storage compartment. The ITrip ends up being within an inch of the back of the stereo where the roof-top antenna plugs in. I just get less interference when I use it that way.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Chassis Designer
    Blog Entries

http://storesense2.megawebservers.co...tail.bok?no=57

This HU is about the same $$ as some of the cheaper fm transmitters I've seen. I'm thinking something like this might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    The biggest problem you'll have with the FM tuner in a Miata is the road and engine noise will get pickedup and played through your speakers. Like when you rev your motor you'll hear that, through your speakers, over your music.
    Now I am curious to hear what that would sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by jsforrest View Post
    http://storesense2.megawebservers.co...tail.bok?no=57

This HU is about the same $$ as some of the cheaper fm transmitters I've seen. I'm thinking something like this might be the way to go. Thoughts?
    My thought? You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap-ass CD player with an AUX-in jack, then there you go. My guess is that it won't sound too good and it will break in 6 months.

BTW, the iTrip transmitter shouldn't run you over $35... and I don't think I've seen ANY of the FM transmitters as high as $80.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I would say, if you are ready to replace the unit, do it. There are plenty of units out there that have iPod controls built in and several will even let you hook up a USB hard drive for MP3 controls.

05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    Now I am curious to hear what that would sound like.
    its pretty annoying. I wouldn't wish it for anyone
    Blah blah blah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast