Thread: GPS POI Files

Default GPS POI Files

Anyone have favorite sources for POI files? I just want to get more local data in my Garmin.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Interesetd too... I have a Nuvi here.

I have a Nuvi 760 and what drives me crazy is that it takes me the round about way for many destinations as opposed to a the quicker and more direct route. (Yes the settings are set correctly)

Also, with lots of new road construction in my area, it doesn't know the area very well. Hopefully that will be fixed when I buy new maps later. How do I know when to upgrade the maps? Also, with all the new construction in my area, how long does it take for them to get the data?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I have a Nuvi 760 and what drives me crazy is that it takes me the round about way for many destinations as opposed to a the quicker and more direct route. (Yes the settings are set correctly)

Also, with lots of new road construction in my area, it doesn't know the area very well. Hopefully that will be fixed when I buy new maps later. How do I know when to upgrade the maps? Also, with all the new construction in my area, how long does it take for them to get the data?
    Garmin has been releasing maps in the April/May timeframe the last few years. The last two updates have incorporated Q4 Navteq (is that the right name???) data, so you're getting as fresh data as is out there...

As far as how long for it to appear? Well... A good measure is... Figure at least 3 months after it appears on Google Maps before you'll see it in the Navteq files. So... if the road in question shows up on Google Maps by June
    2008, it'll probably be in the fall/winter Navteq update, which Garmin will *probably* incorporate into their 2010 branded mapset.

The good news is, you'll be able to preview the maps before you buy.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Anyone have favorite sources for POI files? I just want to get more local data in my Garmin.
    Count me in too... is there someplace I can grab that nifty Mazda-specific info for my Nuvi 350?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    The good news is, you'll be able to preview the maps before you buy.
    You have to buy the updated maps?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds