Thread: KYB AGX + Tein S-Tech springs

Default KYB AGX + Tein S-Tech springs

I'm considering this setup vs the AGX + FM springs. It looks like the Teins would ride a little softer than the FMs, but still be a nice upgrade from stock - a good compromise for a daily driver. Would I need to run FM rear shock mounts (or equivalent) to keep from crashing the bump stops with these? What about the front mounts?

I'm also considering the FM Butterfly contraption. Overkill? Worthless? Effective?
    Last edited by trickyrix; 03-26-2008 at 04:57 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

How low do you want to go?

I have new FM's, NB tops, and FCM bumps on Bilsteins.
    Nice and low, but rides stock.
    full travel with the NB tops.
    A set of noisy AGX's should be higher than r-pack Billies.

You can drive mine if you want, or several other have ridden/driven the 93LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    How low do you want to go?

I have new FM's, NB tops, and FCM bumps on Bilsteins.
    Nice and low, but rides stock.
    full travel with the NB tops.
    A set of noisy AGX's should be higher than r-pack Billies.

You can drive mine if you want, or several other have ridden/driven the 93LE.
    About an inch lower, maybe a tad more - mainly I want to get rid of the 4x4 look and firm it up a little. So the AGXs would set ride slightly higher than the Bilsteins? And they're noisy?

Are you running the NB tops on front and back? What size FCM bump stops?

Your LE looks sweet but I bet it's a roadkill spatula, no?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

S-techs will get rid of the 4X4 look, but may be too soft for how low they are. I'd go FM's instead, if I were just doing springs - as opposed to coilovers. Based on nothing factual, I'd bet you could do FM's new springs without the FM rear mounts - but if you use the S-techs, you'll probably wish you had the revised mounts.

I'm running Ground Controls & AGXs & FCM bumpstops. The spring rates are similar to new FM springs & I've also got my ride height set close FM's ride height. Overall, the ride is pretty good, though I'd call it stiffer than stock - but in a good way. It definitely doesn't crash into the bumpstops like it did with stock springs, bumpstops and worn out stock shocks.

At low speeds - think speed bumps - you can hear the AGXs "squish" as they stroke. At any normal driving speed, you won't hear them.

Keep in mind that if you're buying parts new, new springs, new shocks, new bumpstops and new mounts will run you nearly as much as a set of Tein coilovers from Gary. Not that they are the ultimate answer, but could be a better bang for the buck. I found a TCB deal on a set of lightly used GCs & AGXs that I couldn't pass up.

And one more point - if all you want to do is get rid of the 4X4 look, consider a set of springs from a 1.6L car - they're shorter. My buddy's '91 is pretty close to the lowered ride height of my '96, definitely lower than the '96 was stock. A good (cheap) way to keep stock ride but lose the wheel gap.
    '96 M-edition

Here's the ride height on my 92 with AGX 8-ways and Tein S-Techs. I LOVE the ride; nearly stock but a little tighter. I also have FCM bumpstops, which are grrrreat.

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I'm also considering the FM Butterfly contraption. Overkill? Worthless? Effective?
    There are a couple of folks on here who have the butterfly installed. HudsonHawk has the whole schebang, and Boisking has the center section. johnwag had one installed (I think) for a little while. I'll go out on a limb and guess that Gary has a butterfly on at least one of his cars, too.

You can also find lots of reading material regarding the install of and road feel with the butterfly on the board. Definitely worth considering, though the install might be a b*tch. Might be a great time to try out some of those new naughty words you picked up on that last road trip.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    Based on nothing factual, I'd bet you could do FM's new springs without the FM rear mounts - but if you use the S-techs, you'll probably wish you had the revised mounts.
    ...and I'm okay with that. I just found some more spring info, and it sounds like the S-Techs are slightly stiffer than the stock NB MSM springs (which are a nice chunk stiffer than my stock NA springs). So, by that rationale, if I had the S-Techs and the FM rear mounts, I should be okay... right?

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post
    And one more point - if all you want to do is get rid of the 4X4 look, consider a set of springs from a 1.6L car - they're shorter. My buddy's '91 is pretty close to the lowered ride height of my '96, definitely lower than the '96 was stock. A good (cheap) way to keep stock ride but lose the wheel gap.
    I definitely want to tighten the ride up some in addition to dropping the car, but I don't want to be punished on a daily basis. I've got it in my head that I want to keep this mod around/under $1K and save room for some other stuff (perhaps the Butterfly Contraption).

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Here's the ride height on my 92 with AGX 8-ways and Tein S-Techs. I LOVE the ride; nearly stock but a little tighter. I also have FCM bumpstops, which are grrrreat.
    I like the way that sits... Did you use FCM bumpstops front and rear? What size? Any problems with bottoming the thing out?

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    There are a couple of folks on here who have the butterfly installed. HudsonHawk has the whole schebang, and Boisking has the center section. johnwag had one installed (I think) for a little while. I'll go out on a limb and guess that Gary has a butterfly on at least one of his cars, too.
    Veddy interesting... any of youse guys have any insight into The Butterfly?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Veddy interesting... any of youse guys have any insight into The Butterfly?
    I know Gary has put one on his first 2 track Miatas (not sure about the 3 Miatas since then), and he told me it is well worth it. It says a lot to me when a Miata vendor uses and recommends a competitor's part, so that is good enough for me. I will add one one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    A set of noisy AGX's
    I like my squish!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I know Gary has put one on his first 2 track Miatas (not sure about the 3 Miatas since then), and he told me it is well worth it. It says a lot to me when a Miata vendor uses and recommends a competitor's part, so that is good enough for me. I will add one one of these days.
    Done... I'm ordering THAT sucker ASAP.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I've got it in my head that I want to keep this mod around/under $1K and save room for some other stuff (perhaps the Butterfly Contraption).
    IIRC, Gary will sell you the SuperStreet version of the Teins for just about that - height and damping adjustability, dampers in theory matched to the springs. Food for thought.

Check the ads on the board. There's a guy selling MSM Bilsteins with FM Springs for TCB-level cheap. He claims to be doing coilovers, so he shouldn't need the mounts. You could swap the whole assembly in, no spring compressor needed. A THIRD of your intended budget. FWIW, that's about the deal I found on my GC/AGX combo.

If you want stick with the original plan, there's a set of FM rear mounts for sale there also.
    '96 M-edition

Hmmm...
    Silver MSM Billies, orange AGX or pretty green SS coilovers. Rick, you gots ta make dem choices, son.
    I know which colour I'd choose...

If you get the butterfly, give me a yell. I'd like take a gander at the install process. I only got to catch the last 20 minutes or so of Hudson's install.
    My '90 can use all the bracing she can get!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Hmmm...
    Silver MSM Billies, orange AGX or pretty green SS coilovers. Rick, you gots ta make dem choices, son.
    I know which colour I'd choose...
    I hear ya, brotha... I think I've kinda got my mind made up, you know, for what suits my purposes...

If you get the butterfly, give me a yell. I'd like to take a gander at the install process. I only got to catch the last 20 minutes or so of Hudson's install.
    My '90 can use all the bracing she can get!
    Will do... FM's website is going to be down tomorrow, but I'll check back Friday and place my order then. Looks like some seat/carpet removal and floorpan drilling, but nothing wildly complex - just tedious. I wonder if it can be welded in?

BTW, I wanna drive that '90 - she looks pretty effin' sweet...!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

My dad's car is here with a butterfly brace, FM springs, and KYB's, it's stiff and feels at one with the road. It helps ALOT!!!! I just picked it up last week and it's very different than my LE
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I'm in the process of determining my suspension setup as well. I found a good deal on some FCM mounts and bump stops.

I also found a great deal on some new still in the box Tokico HPs, I thought they were pretty good from my last miata.

Well after realizing I can get alot better shock for not much more I found some used Koni's on the eBay that I'm gonna refresh instead.

I also decided to stick with stock springs, it's a daily driver and I plan on adding the FM Butterfly Package as well. Plus I already scrape my Ratsback Front Lip on driveways and speed bumps at stock height.

Chris