Thread: RX-8 Question!! New Lug Nuts?

Default RX-8 Question!! New Lug Nuts?

So I finally got around to throwing my new wheels on...

I hope Mazda saved a bunch of money on the sorry excuse for lug nuts they put on the RX8!

They hold the new wheels just fine...I think...but I want to get some better lug nuts just to be on the safe side!

Does anybody know where to get some good ones locally?

If not off the internet...I can't see all you Bstock guys using those crappy things!

Thanks guys!
    Stuart F. Maxcy
    STR 82
    NC Miata

This is what I'm using, but the price has almost doubled since I bought mine:

949 Racing
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

We have some lightweight Mugen ones for a S2000, if they fit I'll sell them to you for $75, I think they are M7 and come to think of it I may still have some skinnier spline lug nuts I used with my Enkei's somewhere in my garage as well.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    We have some lightweight Mugen ones for a S2000, if they fit I'll sell them to you for $75, I think they are M7 and come to think of it I may still have some skinnier spline lug nuts I used with my Enkei's somewhere in my garage as well.
    How much for the skinney spline ones?!

See....The ones Moto recommended are pretty damn cool...and they are $70 new...
    Stuart F. Maxcy
    STR 82
    NC Miata

I've been using OEM Mazda lugnuts for seven years, first on the FD, then the Miata, then the RX-8. In all that time I've managed to strip one lug stud.

Use some anti-seize on the stock ones and they'll be fine. If you need some spares, I've got a couple of dozen laying around.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by S.F. Maxcy View Post
    How much for the skinney spline ones?!

See....The ones Moto recommended are pretty damn cool...and they are $70 new...
    Let me check the garage and see if I have them when I get home tonight. If I still have them they're yours for 40. The black lightweight Mugen ones are 100+ new and they are in fact new, maybe we'll just put them on the S2000 :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Use some anti-seize on the stock ones and they'll be fine. If you need some spares, I've got a couple of dozen laying around.
    +1. Especially if you're using an impact or some other power driver. The threads get quite hot and this can contribute to galling. Also note anti-sieze counts as a lubricant so reduce your torque a bit. I use 65 lb-ft.

OEM ones are fine although I have broken a few in my day. now I use anti-seize with no problems.

I learned to drive by watching the Dukes of Hazzard & Smokey and the Bandit.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I've been using OEM Mazda lugnuts for seven years, first on the FD, then the Miata, then the RX-8. In all that time I've managed to strip one lug stud.

I managed to strip a few studs but that was before I started using anti-seize Once I starting chasing the threads once a year and applying a coat of anti-seize I had zero problems with the stock Mazda studs and nuts on the FD.
    I am the Cookie Monster, not the macaroni monster.