Thread: GPS Track Timer, transponder alternative

Cool GPS Track Timer, transponder alternative

Well it's been a while since I had been to the track, but I went last Saturday.

While there, I tried out my GPS watch that I use while running, as a Lap Data Capture Tool. It is a Garmin Forerunner 205.

Prior to the session, I set the data recording resolution down to once/second. The other option is less often, but allows longer in between computer data exporting.

I was also able to choose amongst several data fields to display; (off the top of my head) top speed, last lap time, last lap top speed, ave. speed, current lap time, and distance. Needless to say there are many fields to choose from. I choose previous lap time and top speed to display.

After having the Auto Lap setting wrong, I was able to have it set correctly for my ride in the Advanced group. The lap times displayed, seemed to be consistent with average Lap Times quoted by the owners. Concurrent laps also seemed to be fairly consistent.

The stated specs for the Watch are:
    Receiver: TrueFixTM 14 channels, WAAS/EGNOS
    Acquisition Time: Hot: 20 seconds, Cold: 60 seconds, Initial: 2 minutes Update Rate: Once per second
    Accuracy: 3 to 5 meters (10 - 16 feet) - WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) - GPS only
    Velocity: 0.1 knots (RMS)
    and also:
    Accuracy
    Accuracy 10 m
    Measuring
    PositionAccuracy 0.05 m/sec
    With this watch you are able to export the information to your computer/internet. The included software is good enough for comparing workout data, I'm sure there is better software to help get more detailed data.

With slightly more programming, you can program in a course and them break down the segments. This would also allow for segment comparison.

While the data this unit will give you would probably overwhelm all but the most intensive driver, it seems to be an easy lap timer that works at every track.

For the professional racer, this might be an especially good bang for your buck. I'm sure automobile specific GPS units are quite a bit more expensive (but providing more intensive detail).

This review is in progress though, as I am excited to compare data using this against a conventional transponder.

Chris

This is just off the top of my head but once per second on a track is a lot of distance covered between data points. Most of the automotive based systems are down to one to two tenths of a second. It's cool that the watch can temporarily store the info and transfer to a computer later but you might be better off with something like MaxQData linked to a pocket pc for about the same price with software designed for automotive purposes. That's the route I'm researching right now.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I'll also pitch in that the one on my bike will miss the trigger point by upwards of .02 mile. However, you're probably going to be able to time laps to within a second or so which isn't bad if you've already got one of the things...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    This is just off the top of my head but once per second on a track is a lot of distance covered between data points. Most of the automotive based systems are down to one to two tenths of a second. It's cool that the watch can temporarily store the info and transfer to a computer later but you might be better off with something like MaxQData linked to a pocket pc for about the same price with software designed for automotive purposes. That's the route I'm researching right now.
    When I looked at info on the MaxQData, it looked like their cheaper version was 5 MHz. I think I saw their new top of the line one was 10 MHz and included Accelerometers. I don't remember the prices exactly, but I think they start at like $280's and that's without the PDA/Display.

The other automotive ones seem to be more expensive and more accurate.

I think the trigger point can get a bit off, but I set it at an apex and it picked it up pretty consistently on the track.

Chris