Thread: Battery tie-down issues

Default Battery tie-down issues

So, after a year and a half of Miata ownership as of today, I realized that I had never checked the battery in the trunk. Well, yesterday I noticed a funky ding in the right rear quarter that pooched OUT. So I dug in the trunk and I think I found the culprit.

Problem #1: The battery is missing any sort of tie-down, so it can just slide around loose back there - the cables are the only thing holding it in place. So, apparently, I must've hit a big dip or bump that made the battery jump up so high in the trunk that the negative post punched the interior of the quarter panel. Thank GOD the positive post has a plastic boot on it...

Problem #2: Although there's a Mazda battery back there, it doesn't appear that it's a Miata-spec unit. It doesn't fill out the little tray back there, and the stray vent tube that I found has no place to plug into the battery.

I never even thought of checking this out before, but now I'm driving veeery carefully. I know I need to get a tie-down, but I'm not sure the OEM will work. Should I look into getting a new Miata-spec battery? Like a Westco, maybe?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Exclamation

Should look like the following :

I seem to recall seeing this movie before. Hope yours didn't damage the car to the tune of $1,600 like mine.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

No damage other than the little pooch. But it looks like I'm missing about half of those parts... argh!

Suffice to say this won't pass tech inspection at an auto-x...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-04-2008 at 09:49 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Go see the folks at Town North and order some parts... or see if our local board members with lots of extra parts have the parts you need.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have two of those dings... I noticed them after hitting some unexpectedly large holes in the road. I ended up finding an OEM tied-down somewhere around here (or a new one, I don't remember).
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

So, uh, anybody got any extra parts? Looks like I need the tie-down parts and the tray below the battery. Otherwise I'll hit up Town North on Monday morning.

From what I've said, does anybody know if I've got the wrong battery? Should I be concerned about this?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    From what I've said, does anybody know if I've got the wrong battery? Should I be concerned about this?
    Yes.

If you have a standard lead acid battery you could end up with a ton of rust over in that corner.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Yes.

If you have a standard lead acid battery you could end up with a ton of rust over in that corner.

RJ
    That's what I figured... so is the Westco battery the way to go? If so, where's the best place to pick one up? If not, what's a good alternative?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I have a Westco and love it. I ordered it from Batteryweb and got it rather quickly. Free Shipping.

Another alternative is the Optima batteries.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have had my Westco in for 5 or 6 years with no problems. You get free shipping if you buy it straight from Westco, but thier price is higher than most of the Miata retailers so it is probably a wash. If you are looking for instant satisfaction, Westco has a dealer search engine on there site where you may be able to find someone local with one in stock.

I have a rebranded westco that I got at autozone. I am not sure if they still sell it or not. I think it was marked as a duralast. It was cheaper than you can get most places.

Like Majik mentioned, Autozone or O'Reilly also sells a AGM replacement battery for the Miata.

LINK!

Bob Stretch at Wheels America has most, if not all those parts from his various "donor" cars and has some of them listed on his e-bay store. He usually takes less than his buy-it-now price so offer away. Good guy to deal with.
    Currently Miata-less... 2007 Brilliant Black NC PRHT, to replace 2006 Winning Blue NC, to replace 2002 SE, to replace 1993 LE #1322 and so on and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by mildensteve View Post
    Bob Stretch at Wheels America has most, if not all those parts from his various "donor" cars and has some of them listed on his e-bay store. He usually takes less than his buy-it-now price so offer away. Good guy to deal with.
    That's good to know... I saw he had a bunch of Miata parts listed there. Thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Should look like the following :
    Hey POS... thanks for the diagram! Town North didn't have any of that stuff in stock, so I rummaged around in my folks' garage this morning and found a generic J-bolt and top bracket that I was able to tweak just enough to be a perfect fit...

No more battery sliding around in the trunk, denting my quarter panel!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

What, bungee cord not good enough for you?