Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '99 LP to '99 Sport Conversion... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What about the power steering? Didn't the "Sports" come without power steering? Can you add it as part as comfort & convenience??
    Sports were available without power steering, but they were also available with it, so he could have power or non-power steering and be legal. The only illegal thing to do would be to de-power the power rack, as the factory non-power rack has a different ratio.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    The only illegal thing to do would be to de-power the power rack, as the factory non-power rack has a different ratio.
    You mean like Manwhore has done? Excellent... He won't be protesting anything on my car now...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

A new, OEM STB is more like $550... I got a quote of $539 + shipping from Mazda South. But I found a clean used one for $150, and now have it in hand.
    Kestrel,
    Where did you find that STB? It has the adjustable section in it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    In research I have done previously, the factory STB (all parts) is about $400-450 from a dealer. I had Tailchasers' buddy, T. McGrab, 'offer' (read screw) me an OEM bar for $200. I bet he still has it.
    Let's just say Tom doesn't have it anymore , and I got it for $150. For $150, I could have gotten a much nicer aftermarket bar, but in order to stay in Stock class, I had to have OEM. So it was either (1) buy new and pay $550 or so, (2) hope I could catch something on Miata.net or eBay pretty cheap, or (3) take the one that Tom had. All-in-all, I didn't think $150 was too bad, so I took the deal!

Right after I paid for the STB, I told him why I needed that STB (Stock Class LP to Sport conversion requires OEM bar, new bar costs $550)... I don't think he knew that, and I could tell he realized that he probably could have held out for more $$$. Funny how someone "in the business" could not know what he had.

Anyway, I talked to him some more -- about LSMC, autocross, etc. -- and he said he was interested in coming out to an Autocross sometime. Someone who is going to the LSMC meeting tomorrow night should take him some information about the next NTS2KOC autocross. Maybe if he tries it for himself and sees how much fun it is, the LSMC will start being a little more receptive to "performance related activities"!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    The only illegal thing to do would be to de-power the power rack, as the factory non-power rack has a different ratio.
    You mean like Manwhore has done? Excellent... He won't be protesting anything on my car now...
    Majik is already playing in CSP, so he won't be protesting you anyway. Although technically a de-powered rack ain't legal in SP either... :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I don't think he knew that, and I could tell he realized that he probably could have held out for more $$$. Funny how someone "in the business" could not know what he had.
    Good. It makes me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12