Thread: Lawn care in Plano/Richardson/Garland area?

Default Lawn care in Plano/Richardson/Garland area?

My lawn looks like sh!t and I'm tired of it.

I've weeded, I've fertilized, I've tried everything, and it still looks like ass. I don't know what to do. I never had this kind of trouble with the St. Augustine at our old house, but it seems like no matter what I do this yard looks like crap.

I'm tired of wasting all of my free time in the yard with nothing to show for it, so I'd like to hire some professionals. Unfortunately, I tried Trugreen last year and they only made it worse.

Can anyone recommend a reputable lawn care service in this area to help me get my yard back to looking decent?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I went through the same thing here. With our house going on the market next week, I finally gave up and had a guy rip everything up and put down new St. Augustine sod. He charged me $160 a pallet for the sod delivered, and about $200 a pallet labor to tear out the old and place the sod. It would have been less if they had put the new stuff down over the top of the old. I believe each pallet was around 500 sqf.

I am looking too. I am having the same issues with Bermuda grass in Allen. My backyard is coming back but the front looks like crap. My neighbors' looks better (grass is greener), like my backyard. I went to the Scott's website and requested a free soil analysis. Truchem or green or whatever didn't do crap for me. This Bermuda grass sucks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I am looking too. I am having the same issues with Bermuda grass in Allen. My backyard is coming back but the front looks like crap. My neighbors' looks better (grass is greener), like my backyard. I went to the Scott's website and requested a free soil analysis. Truchem or green or whatever didn't do crap for me. This Bermuda grass sucks.
    Come on Ken, why mess with it? Just sell it and buy a new house.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    He shoots... he scores!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Call Peter Fehn he has people. Concrete, landscaping, whatever you need.

I will not receive any compensation for this referral.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Sell it??? Never thought of that one.

I feel your pain. IMO so much wasted time and $$... all to die again in October.

My wife and I are thinking of ground cover and xeriscaping beds around in the front of the house.

Saves $$ because you dont have to water and time because you dont have to mow.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Okay, I had to laugh at that one.

I called Scott's as well. We'll see what they suggest.

That said, I've done some research online and I'm going to try dethatching and aerating the lawn this weekend, and I'm going to talk to a horticulturist buddy at work about how to measure the pH of the soil. I'm loath to put any more chemicals on it, since I've already applied several since the tail end of winter with no luck.

I agree, Ken - Bermuda sucks ass. I miss my St. Augustine.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    I feel your pain. IMO so much wasted time and $$... all to die again in October.

My wife and I are thinking of ground cover and xeriscaping beds around in the front of the house.

Saves $$ because you dont have to water and time because you dont have to mow.
    Grass won't grow in shade. Been there, done that, you can either have the St. Augustine or the post oaks, but you can't have both.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Grass won't grow in shade. Been there, done that, you can either have the St. Augustine or the post oaks, but you can't have both.
    I will take the Post Oaks and ground cover please.

One word....

Astroturf (Hey, it worked for the Bradys!)

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

More parking!

or...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds