Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 Hours in a Miata

Default 16 Hours in a Miata

This weekend, I am driving 16 hours to Indiana. I wish it were under better circumstances, but my Grandfather is quite ill and I am going to go see him. I am going to drive there top-up. Mostly because I am trying to get there as quick as I can, and I don't need anything that could fatigue me. I will be sure to tell you guys how the NC does on a 1000 mile each way road trip!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Have a safe trip.

I will, and don't worry.

If I get too tired, I will forget about doing it in one day and find a motel or a campsite or something.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've dead-headed it to NE Ohio in 19 hours (~1200 miles). No fun!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Stay safe. The last thing your family needs is another member with health issues
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

You should be fine in the car.

Godspeed and safe trip!

I drove the Miata on a 7 day roadtrip more than once and to Indiana and back more than once. I think the longest trip in it was from the Dragon's Tail straight through to Dallas with a side stop at Mom's outside Paris, TX, to pick the kid up.

Check your tire pressure and oil every other fill-up to avoid any surprises.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Where in Indiana? I have family in Indy. Maybe next trip we can carpool and save on gas.

Marshall county area, South of South Bend.

Barbara and I did 17 hours to "Gathering of P-51 Mustangs" last september.

Had so much fun were going to "Deals Gap" this year.

Having a co-driver makes it much more tolerable.

Drive safe!

I've got a 845 mile road trip to TN in a couple of weeks and had contemplated taking the miata. Mapquest shows it to be a 12 hr 45 min. trip. That's 66mph straight through, doesn't leave much time for any stops along the way. Sounds like it could get pretty tedious in a miata after the first 300 - 400 miles?

Good Luck! I have done 710 miles in one day in the Miata and it wasn't too bad. I was going to buy a hardtop, so the first 355 was top down, and the next 355 was with a hardtop on. I also once did A journey from San Francisco to Salt Lake City and back to buy a boat. That trip was in a Chevy Tahoe, and consisted of 1500 miles over stretched 2.2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Sounds like it could get pretty tedious in a miata after the first 300 - 400 miles?
    Wuss.

FM to Fort Worth, one day, 1100 miles. Lost an hour too.

Road trips are great. Enjoy the scenery and the experience. Take tunes and snacks.

We drove "Baby" from Miami to D/fw, with overnights in Ocala and Baton Rouge.

We had to see Don Garlits and my Parents.

Hardtop on sucked though, we almost shipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Road trips are great. Enjoy the scenery and the experience. Take tunes and snacks.
    and NASA diapers.

Hey man... first off, shitty reason for a trip. Sorry to hear about your Grandfather...

First drive I ever took in the Miata was 278 miles back to Dallas from Inola, Oklahoma.

Since then, I've taken a few long hauls, but none more than about 800 miles/day. But they've been plenty fun! Couple of snow storms, some pretty great roads, got stuck in a few shitty little towns... but the Miata's been a damn good road trip car so far.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-25-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I arrived last night, safe and sound. My brother, who flew up, is talking about driving back with me to give me a second driver, but he may not be able to take the extra unexpected day off to do it.

I got a little lost in Oklahoma. I wound up taking US75 from US69 to Tulsa when I should have taken Indian Nation Turnpike from US69 to Tulsa. I was rewarded with a very nice portion of the trip even if it was a little slow, and no toll. Plus some parts of US75 in that stretch would even be considered "Miata Friendly."

I will tell the rest of the story when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    Wuss.

FM to Fort Worth, one day, 1100 miles. Lost an hour too.

Wuss.

Dallas to the far end of Tennessee to buy new wheels/tires and back again in about 36-38hrs straight without sleep. 2000 miles in about 32 hours of driving with about 4 hrs of changing wheels and gas/food stops. In the Miata. I would like to see someone beat this one.
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 05-04-2008 at 11:10 AM.
    John O.
    94R

1100 miles in a Lotus Elise. I had sore spots for days after and I ripped my jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    1100 miles in a Lotus Elise. I had sore spots for days after and I ripped my jeans.
    As I recall the rip was somewhere in the back, you didn't happen to camp out at any rest stops did you? If so that might be the answer to your sore spot
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast