Thread: Tennessee and back in the Miata

Default Tennessee and back in the Miata

1906 miles round trip to east TN and back in a Miata!

All went well except for when I really needed the cruise control in the long stretch of flat Mississippi flood plain, it decided to quit working. Holding one's foot and ankle in the same position for several hours can get old quickly.
    It was mostly interstate the whole trip, with northern Alabama having the nicest stretch of road. Driving with the top down opens up the senses to the sights and smells of the road. Kept smelling something sweet and realized it was the honeysuckle in the trees on either side of the highway. My wife asked if I could smell the pines and sure enough I got a whiff or two as we drove on. In fact it kept getting stronger and stronger...right up until I passed the eighteen wheeler with a load of pine bark mulch.

Louisiana has apparently found a novel way to balance the budget. Every rest stop from border to border was closed and blocked off with concrete barriers, and they no longer remove roadkill, it just gets pushed to the shoulder to decompose.(speaking of the sights and smells!) Seriously, you've never seen so many armadillos, possum, skunks, dogs, cats, deer, etc...some of them so far gone the bones were sticking out of the skins.

Coming home, with just a little over 300 miles to go, I got a stone chip just a 1/4" from the edge of the windshield, which promptly spread across the middle of the line of sight on the driver's side which resulted in my trying to focus above or below it the rest of the way.

Driving the twisty little county roads in the foothills of the Smokies was the best. There's nothing remotely close to it here in Texas.

Sweet!

Did ya take the BRG or the red car?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

BRG. I didn't have time to get the AC fixed before the trip but fortunately didn't need it. In fact, it was 50 degrees when I took off from LA yesterday morning. said it was too cold for the top down. I woulda, shoulda taken some pics but it was a short trip and not enough time. One pic I really really wanted was what we dubbed "The Church of Burger King" just outside of Cleveland TN. You know the creepy burger king guy in the commercials? I guess this little church got a deal off of ebay or something cause there's this huge medallion thing at the top of the Mount Zion church with his face on it. Next time I went by there it was too dark for a picture.

Well, I was only halfway serious when I said Louisiana had found a way to cut costs by leaving roadkill on the side of the road, but then I found this today.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361064,00.html

We are going to Tenn/NC at the end of July, but we are taking the north route.
    Weird things in LA/Miss.....What's kinda car beez dat, boy!

Did y'all run the Gap while in TN?

Barbara and I are, any one else?

I can relate, April 07 I did a 3000 mile trip to the Smokies, lots of fun, top down everyday but one or two.......Stevan, when are you planning on going?

Barbara and I are leaving at some point on 7/24.
    Drive to Nashville, and then on to Robbinsville the next morning.
    Staying at Blue Water, Friday and Saturday for Miata's at the Gap!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    We are going to Tenn/NC at the end of July, but we are taking the north route.
    Weird things in LA/Miss.....What's kinda car beez dat, boy!

Did y'all run the Gap while in TN?

Barbara and I are, any one else?
    Didn't really have enough time, although I didn't realize we were as close as we were (about an hour away).

Too Bad, it is really breathtaking. Nice too.