Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maverick PCA Time Trials #3 & #4 - Saturday, June 21 at MSR

So... did anyone here actually go to this event? How was it?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    So... did anyone here actually go to this event? How was it?
    There were a lot of problems. A 914 left a foot wide trail of oil over 1.5 miles of the track which took an hour or two to clean up. That cut our first set of runs from 6 to 3 laps. Then the third run group had major timer problems and did not get ANY times so they decided to cut our second set of runs to 3 laps. So we only got 6 laps.

But nothing was really PCA's fault. Every club occasionally has an even with a lot of problems. Next time hopefully they will use transponders or lap timers instead of normal timing lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    There were a lot of problems. A 914 left a foot wide trail of oil over 1.5 miles of the track which took an hour or two to clean up. That cut our first set of runs from 6 to 3 laps. Then the third run group had major timer problems and did not get ANY times so they decided to cut our second set of runs to 3 laps. So we only got 6 laps.

But nothing was really PCA's fault. Every club occasionally has an even with a lot of problems. Next time hopefully they will use transponders or lap timers instead of normal timing lights.
    A lot of standing around, less driving due to timing error and mechanical break down. You sure it wasn't an autocross?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Yeah, the 2 hour wait for them to clean up the entire 1.7 mile track was a bummer.

I'm grateful I got to do the event but am very disappointed in only getting 6 hot laps the whole day. They hadn't posted the 3rd run groups times when I left so I guess I have to wait until they're up on the PCA web site before I can see if I did any better in the afternoon.

VERY different from doing an autocross.......it was a lot of fun on the track but I think I would get bored over time doing the same configuration time after time. I like the challenge of having a different AX course every event.....especially when Jarrett is the course designer.
    #79 BSPL
    '79 Metallic Brown Corvette

Hey all--
    Sorry I didn't check this site sooner...but that's normal for me. ;-(

Yes the very first Mav TT event at MSR was plagued with a lot of problems. The guy who oiled the track felt really bad...but he didn't know he was doing it until it was too late. His 914 sucked in a valve cover gasket. Seems they run negative pressure in the crankcase. Anyway, it was a bust waiting so long for the track to get cleaned up. No one was happy at the reduction in run sets, including me. I hadn't been on the MSR track in two years...my last DE was at ECR. I steadily dropped my times, and am certain I could have done better with more laps. I was only squealing the 'Kooks in Rattlesnake, so I KNOW I wasn't pushing it hard enough...I was in grandpa mode I guess.

I saw Jerrett and Steve there...but there were only 3 Miatas. A lot of Porsches, three Vettes, two newer and 1 Vintage...glad you made it in Lisa...you ran when I was working...I didn't see the other two Vettes run. But it was nice to hear an American V8 roaring around the track. Makes me miss my Z-car...a little.

I hope next time there won't be so many Porsche people wanting in. I can say from talking with the event chair, that they gave preference to people that were running the TT events, which Jerrett and Steve have been doing. I believe both attended the Porsche school also. The people that put this event on worked extremely hard to make it happen...and were stressing out when the track got oiled down. They really wanted everyone to enjoy the event. They tried 4 cars at a time but it caused impeeds. They had run groups based on previous times at TT events and Porsche classes...but still got some impeeds. At a DE, you pass the slower cars, but you can't at a TT.

Maniac Mitch

Come out to an Apex event and get a TON of track time, very little waiting, and classroom time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123