Thread: Need some info on SC unit

Default Need some info on SC unit

I was talking to a guy about a car that has an VF stage1 SC. It looks like they are out of production, but I have read pros and cons about them. If the car had the right price I am wondering if the VF would be a problem or an asset? Couldn't get a hold of Gary, but I would suspect he favors what he sells, but I am sure he has goodies that would adapt to the VF.
    Anybody had any experience with the VF?
    Thanks for any help.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    I was talking to a guy about a car that has an VF stage1 SC. It looks like they are out of production, but I have read pros and cons about them. If the car had the right price I am wondering if the VF would be a problem or an asset? Couldn't get a hold of Gary, but I would suspect he favors what he sells, but I am sure he has goodies that would adapt to the VF.
    Anybody had any experience with the VF?
    Thanks for any help.
    No real experience with one... but this is the Internet, so I can have an opinion, right?

IIRC the VF is a centrifugal blower, as opposed to positive displacement - it won't have the ruler-flat torque curve of the Eaton blowers. It'll behave somewhat more like a turbo, whch can be good or bad, I suppose, depending on what you're looking for.

Looked like a decent kit at the time. If the car is in good shape, it could be a fun and somewhat unusual toy...

Good luck,
    Craig
    '96 M-edition

To me, the biggest benefit to a blown Miata is lots of mid-range torque. You don't get that with a centrifugal blower.

I drove an S2000 with a Comptech centrifugal blower a couple of weeks back, and I was disappointed. It made noticeably more power from 8k-9k, but the midrange response felt just the same, or even slightly slower, than a box stock S2000. All it did was make the S2000's lack of torque that much more obvious to me.

Personally, if you're going to go with a blower, I think a positive displacement blower is the way to go.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I got a ride in a Comptech S/C S2000 and I got the same impression. When the owner got on the gas I was thinking what the hell, this isn't any faster than stock. The power kicked in at the vtec crossover and then it felt about the same as the Elise on the second cam which is marginal for the money. IIRC the standard Comptech s/c kit only puts down about 280 whp.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Personally, if you're going to go with a blower, I think a positive displacement blower is the way to go.
    +1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67