Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miata/MX-5 2009 National Convention

I think that would be a great option. Don't take the empty nester comment the wrong way. I know at 33 my parents couldn't afford $600+++ to play for a weekend, I can't either. A track only option would cool, but this event is also for hanging out and talking over dinner too. They'll get their #'s without making everyone happy although that's what they're trying to do.

I think they've done a good job.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Huh... Here are some quotes from Bill on Miata.net:
    Those quotes were from early on. Day #3 was nixed. Four courses assumes SCCA can come up with enough equipment and workers to handle two autocrosses, infield track, and oval. Now here's the deal, and I explained all of this to Bill: That weekend is always a NATIONAL race at TWS, meaning race workers will be there. So, SCCA is planning on paying autocrossers to work this event(YOU???????). I'm concerned that there won't be enough, and few are "Pro's" when it comes to the road course and oval flagging. Because of this, the oval and infield events will simply be 1-2 laps and you're done. If you want more, get back in line. Now, if there are 1000 entrants, or even 500, how long do you think you might have to wait?

That's it. I shouldn't even be telling ya'll this, but I'd hate for you to spend the money and be disappointed.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Those quotes were from early on. Day #3 was nixed. Four courses assumes SCCA can come up with enough equipment and workers to handle two autocrosses, infield track, and oval. Now here's the deal, and I explained all of this to Bill: That weekend is always a NATIONAL race at TWS, meaning race workers will be there. So, SCCA is planning on paying autocrossers to work this event(YOU???????). I'm concerned that there won't be enough, and few are "Pro's" when it comes to the road course and oval flagging. Because of this, the oval and infield events will simply be 1-2 laps and you're done. If you want more, get back in line. Now, if there are 1000 entrants, or even 500, how long do you think you might have to wait?

That's it. I shouldn't even be telling ya'll this, but I'd hate for you to spend the money and be disappointed.
    That blows, I'm out.

Ok... maybe I will still go. I am OK with the format, as I think that a large % of participants will not be in to the track stuff, as the event's target audience isn't as in to performance driving as those of us here. Some of them will go out and do a couple runs to see what it is all about and then head on to other events more their speed, and many won't drive anything beyond a lead and follow on the oval. You then spread the more hardcore people out over 3 or 4 courses over 2 days, and I would think we should be able to get a decent amount of track/autocross time. I am also excited about the Saturday night banquet. I have heard whispers of entertainment and possibly a celebrity guest speaker or 2, and I think that is worth a chunk of change to be apart of.

Well, there is still some time to decide. I say wait and see.

I think I am passing on this for several reasons.

1. The price. If I go, my wife goes and $600 not including other expenses is too much. It would easily be over $1200 with hotel (which again my wife would want) and I am local. The meals should have been optional except for the banquet and lower the cost. Also, a cheaper Associate entry which does not include all the track stuff for my wife would have been better.

2. I anticipate the track events will be lack luster when compared to proper track events at MSR or Hallett and for $600 I can get A LOT of track time.

3. We are planning a family trip later that summer so the money would be better spent there.

4. I tried to get involved and even signed up for committees to help out and no one from LSMC ever contacted me.

I wish LSMC luck but I think they only catered to their interests and demographics. The all inclusive plan was the wrong way to go in my opinion. The event will likely attract one of two types.

People who live and breathe all things "Miata" and empty-nesters with the funds to drop $2000+ on a cross-country trip.

They will attract few "young" enthusiasts or Miata owners who are not necessarily obsessed with the car.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The wife and I are registered and we have a room Fri, Sat, and Sun night. She didn't seem 100% sold that she wanted to attend, so if she decides at a later date that she doesn't want to go, I will offer her spot for sale.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The wife and I are registered and we have a room Fri, Sat, and Sun night. She didn't seem 100% sold that she wanted to attend, so if she decides at a later date that she doesn't want to go, I will offer her spot for sale.
    You think someone will pay for the privilege of sharing a hotel room with you? My guess is you would have to hire them
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You think someone will pay for the privilege of sharing a hotel room with you? My guess is you would have to hire them
    Hell no... I would just be looking to recover the $300 event fee so I would have the cash to fill the other side of the bed.

Hell no... I would just be looking to recover the $300 event fee so I would have the cash to fill the other side of the bed.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I am soooo sorry I went down this path. Please, let's go back to the original thread
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Anyone registered for this?
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted the Red View Post
    Anyone registered for this?
    Yes, I think Titus did reserve a hooker for the event.

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

Maybe I should have said besides Titus!
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yes, I think Titus did reserve a hooker for the event.

For $300 I'll just get the hooker and a sack lunch, then go run hot laps in the office parking garage.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    For $300 I'll just get the hooker and a sack lunch, then go run hot laps in the office parking garage.
    Or just come out to this weekends S2000 AX. Bring the hooker and lunch with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Or just come out to this weekends S2000 AX. Bring the hooker and lunch with you.
    You should hire $10 hookers to shag cones.

You should hire $10 hookers to shag cones.
    I hate to think what that smells like after a full day under the sun...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I hate to think what that smells like after a full day under the sun...
    I think we hit a new low at the MME site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast