Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miata/MX-5 2009 National Convention

Default Miata/MX-5 2009 National Convention

Any updates out there on when the website will be up and running to announce the convention?

Website is up, and registration is supposed to be open in the next few days.

http://www.miataworldii.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Website is up, and registration is supposed to be open in the next few days.

http://www.miataworldii.com/
    That site needs some serious work.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    That site needs some serious work.
    Doesn't necessarily inspire confidence in a "world class event" for three hundred bucks does it?

Shouldn't this thread be in Event planning since it's pretty far from impromptu?

Welcome 2fortheroad!

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Doesn't necessarily inspire confidence in a "world class event" for three hundred bucks does it?

Shouldn't this thread be in Event planning since it's pretty far from impromptu?
    Hey... the "nice" side of me is resisting the urge to move it to Bull...

I'm sure the Gaylord Texan would appreciate being called by the right name on that registration site... But, fortunately, it's not my party, so I can smirk if I want to.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

WoW, 300.00 is a bit steep aint it?
    Does someone come detail your car for that price?

I guess I wont be going unless I am contacted to play whch I doubt.

I guess I could park outside the fence and look at all the happenings.
    99 Miata Black

I plan to attend but this smells of Capitalism at its worst. I would have preferred a less formal gathering, say South Padre Island.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

For three hundred bucks a head they could have hired a decent website designer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Any profits made go to a charity. I am looking at it as $300 for a 3 day long track event, with free food and a chance to win a new Miata. The part that gets me is $300 per person rather than per car. I wish they had been per car but required you to buy extra meal tickets if you had the misses with you. Oh well... I can live with it.

I suggested they let Mike Preston do the web site, but didn't happen. The $300/person does not include the Gaylord, either. I agree that "upscale" events does not equate to Miatas, nor entice Miata owners/drivers. This is more like a Porsche or BMW type event. I don't get it........ It's not a three-day track event. It's two days with an autocross, lead-n-follow on the oval, and restricted infield road course laps.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Is this an official Mazda event or just a fan thing?

I can't help but wonder what Mazda will do when the 20th Anniversary for the Miata comes up. For starters, a 20AE NC is probably guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    I can't help but wonder what Mazda will do when the 20th Anniversary for the Miata comes up. For starters, a 20AE NC is probably guaranteed.
    Can't wait to see the special badges and the Limited Edition paint color it comes in!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    Is this an official Mazda event or just a fan thing?

This is the official Mazda Event. They are kicking in a huge chunk of change and a car to give away.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Any profits made go to a charity. I am looking at it as $300 for a 3 day long track event, with free food and a chance to win a new Miata. The part that gets me is $300 per person rather than per car. I wish they had been per car but required you to buy extra meal tickets if you had the misses with you. Oh well... I can live with it.
    Ditch the spare and squeeze the into the trunk I've heard it's been done.

Reading the comments on the board, it sounds like a lot of folks will be traveling a good long way to come to this event, yet the attitude here locally is lukewarm. I probably won't decide if I go or not until a few days before it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    It's not a three-day track event. It's two days with an autocross, lead-n-follow on the oval, and restricted infield road course laps.
    Huh... Here are some quotes from Bill on Miata.net:

Quote Originally Posted by billccsi
    As for the track...4 courses, X 3 days, run as many courses, and as many runs as you can fit in, ALL workers inlcuded (pros, no volunteers)
    4 tracks... 8 am to 5 pm.
    Oh, and there is no limit to the time on any of the tracks. Get in line... do your run... get back in line if you want. Think Six Flags...
    (regarding helmets and rollbars) Neither will be required for lead & follow runs on the oval, autocross, and road course. Helmets will be required for hot laps on the road course and autocross. Roll bar requirements for the road course hot laps is being examined by the local SCCA

I give cudos to Bill Preston and LSMC for putting this all together. You guys don't realize the work they've done to make this huge. It's expensive, yes, but they're not catering to the younger miata crowd, this for the empty nesters that have been driving miatas for 15+ years. I was at miataworld 99' with my parents, (I didn't have a miata yet) and it was a very fun time.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    I give cudos to Bill Preston and LSMC for putting this all together. You guys don't realize the work they've done to make this huge. It's expensive, yes, but they're not catering to the younger miata crowd, this for the empty nesters that have been driving miatas for 15+ years. I was at miataworld 99' with my parents, (I didn't have a miata yet) and it was a very fun time.
    That's exactly why so many people are disappointed. The Miata is an entry level sports car and there are far more people driving them that can't afford the three hundred bucks than those that can. It's sad to exclude so many from what should be a grand party and national event. If the track stuff was billed separately, ala carte, then those with the means can race while those on a budget (or no desire to do the track stuff) can still enjoy the other events.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Looks to me like the "tracks" consist of four courses at one venue (TMS).

I would go if all LE's get free entry for being the coolest :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

The track events are a paultry sum compared to the high dollar meals........... Maybe they should think about having a "track only" entry fee. Now that would be fun! You would be surprised how many of us empty nesters would rather play on the track than have $50-$100 meals.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast