View Poll Results: Should cars without insurance be towed?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

4 10.53%
  • Yes

34 89.47%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas To Vote On Towing Uninsured Drivers

Default Dallas To Vote On Towing Uninsured Drivers

KXAS-TV
    updated 12:38 a.m. CT, Wed., May. 28, 2008

DALLAS - Dallas city council members will vote Wednesday on a controversial plan that calls for towing every car found in Dallas without at least basic liability insurance. Police cited 75,000 drivers for no insurance last year.
    So how would you vote??

I'm against towing general, especially for "parking offenses." However, I think this would be a legitimate reason.

You don't have insurance, don't drive.

Chris

If this passes I might start a towing business

They need to have a data base of some sort. Years ago a co-worker would only buy insurance once every 6 months, just to get a "good" card. How much would it suck to have an accident and not have under-no insurance on your current policy.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I think it's treating the symptom instead of the cause.
    99 Miata Black

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    Care to elaborate??

Default I'd go even further.

If owner can't provide proof of insurance within at least a 60 day grace period (in case of lapses) of last policy, the car should be sold at auction. The real threat of losing the vehicle would make people think twice about insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    If owner can't provide proof of insurance within at least a 60 day grace period (in case of lapses) of last policy, the car should be sold at auction. The real threat of losing the vehicle would make people think twice about insurance.
    +1

If there was a "hell yes" option, I would have clicked it.

Actually I think it will treat the cause. When people have to start paying $300 or $400 dollars to get their car out of hock maybe they will realize that insurance is cheaper or just get rid of the car entirely if they can not afford it.

If I remember correctly the state already has a database of insured vehicles.

Depends... the "cause" here is uninsured motorists... if you take away their cars due to lack of insurance, then they are uninsured pedestrians. I'm OK with that...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

+2.

It seems like half the people on the road are uninsured these days. My wife has been hit three times in five years and in two of those cases the other driver was uninsured. So I pay more in insurance to cover the liklihood of being hit by some asshole who really can't afford to be on the road anyway.

I say sell the vehicles at auction and put the proceeds into the state highway fund. Must have valid insurance to purchase at auction.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I say sell the vehicles at auction and put the proceeds into the state highway fund.
    Why? So Texas can build more toll-roads!

Well I am really on the fence on this....
    here's why i voted no.
    As much as agree, and dont want to be on the road with non insured drivers.
    The fact is that there are a lot of people out there who can't work without a vehicle but cant pay for insurance.
    The insurance companies dont make it easy on people on a budget by charging higher rates for things that have nothing to do with driving well, one thing comes to mind....checking credit history for rates.
    If you tow these people's only means of transportation then there will be many more people out of work and in turn probably turning to crime to pay the bills.
    people are already paying out the wazoo for food, gas etc etc. and far too many folks are hangin by a thread when it comes to finances taking away their transportation is temporary fix but does nothing to fix the problem that the cost of living is just wayyyy too high.
    I think it will also promote fraud by helping the fake insurance card business.
    99 Miata Black

Well I am really on the fence on this....
    here's why i voted no.
    As much as agree, and dont want to be on the road with non insured drivers.
    The fact is that there are a lot of people out there who can't work without a vehicle but cant pay for insurance.
    The insurance companies dont make it easy on people on a budget by charging higher rates for things that have nothing to do with driving well, one thing comes to mind....checking credit history for rates.
    If you tow these people's only means of transportation then there will be many more people out of work and in turn probably turning to crime to pay the bills.
    people are already paying out the wazoo for food, gas etc etc. and far too many folks are hangin by a thread when it comes to finances taking away their transportation is temporary fix but does nothing to fix the problem that the cost of living is just wayyyy too high.
    Why that is a lovely little writeup, so when this poor soul runs a light and totals your car Billy what do you do? Are you just going to pick up the tab??

The protection also need to be there for those of us who play by the rules by having auto insurance.

Come on people, the ones without valid Insurance will abandon a car in a sec.
    Go by the auctions and see how many cars there are now.
    They will have another the same day, and never transfer title.
    We got a 600.00 bill from the tollway like that.

So, that abandoned car could be yours!

There is a whole underground network to cater to these types.

Too bad its against there "civil rights" to make them follow the rules.

First of all, 90% of us are on a budget....
    If you don't live within your means, then how does that justify breaking the law.
    Anyone ever heard of mass transit?
    A lot of these offenders have wheels that cost more than my insured car.
    Break the law, then do the time.....as in community service.
    I'd love to see crews of offenders in orange suits, picking up butts off the side of the road.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KXAS
    Police cited 75,000 drivers for no insurance last year.
    I'd be happy if they'd have just seized these 75,000.

One of my coworkers got their car totaled by an uninsured motorist. UM was at fault. Cops showed up to write the report, and the UM was allowed to drive away. Seriously. WTF?!

My take is that a law on the books enabling "car hunting" is a lot more profitable for the "Friends of City Council" that own towing companies.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    One of my coworkers got their car totaled by an uninsured motorist. UM was at fault. Cops showed up to write the report, and the UM was allowed to drive away. Seriously. WTF?!
    Too much trouble for the cops to write up a ticket that will never see the light of day.

Lets not forget that LOTS of people, don't even have a license therefore no insurance. Go to jail, and or back home.

If my office was closer to Farmers Branch, I'd move there.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Last I checked the inflation rate was the same for everybody, yet somehow some of us manage to scrounge up enough money to play by the rules.

Insurance is part of the cost of having a vehicle, just like gas. If you can't afford it, take the bus or buy a bike.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Guess not everybody got the memo, it's not about fairness or safety or law breaking, it's about racism!

Supporters said it would make the roads safer, but council member Carolyn Davis said the proposal is racist.

"This whole thing affects poor people -- Hispanics and especially African-Americans, " Davis said. "And it's another form of harassment of young African-American males."

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    When people have to start paying $300 or $400 dollars to get their car out of hock maybe they will realize that insurance is cheaper or just get rid of the car entirely if they can not afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Last I checked the inflation rate was the same for everybody, yet somehow some of us manage to scrounge up enough money to play by the rules. Insurance is part of the cost of having a vehicle, just like gas. If you can't afford it, take the bus or buy a bike.

+1 on this fellas. The total cost of owning a car includes insurance. If you can't afford insurance, you can't own a car. I don't mean to be "harsh" on those that are less well off that I am -- heck, I often think "there, but for the grace of God, go I" -- but there are alternatives as altiain pointed out. The fact that you can't afford insurance (or more likely, won't give up something else to pay for insurance) doesn't give you the right to (1) break the law, and (2) cause the rest of society to pay.

No, I can't agree to go this far. Towing and impound is enough of a penalty. We shouldn't be trying to destroy people...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast