Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Power Meter Reader

Question Home Power Meter Reader

I saw a deal on I believe it was HGTV on a monitor that would show real time energy usage. It had a part that went on the power meter outside and it had a wireless unit inside to monitor the usage and show your cost.

I've goggled about but I'm just not finding this gizmo... Anyone here ever seen such a gadget??

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I saw a deal on I believe it was HGTV on a monitor that would show real time energy usage. It had a part that went on the power meter outside and it had a wireless unit inside to monitor the usage and show your cost.

I've goggled about but I'm just not finding this gizmo... Anyone here ever seen such a gadget??

TIA
    Nope, but google likes me better...

http://www.powercostmonitor.com/
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

TIA
    A meter, a wireless transmitter, a wireless receiver, and a monitor, all using power so you can see how much power you are using?

Blog Entries
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Nope, but google likes me better...

http://www.powercostmonitor.com/
    Thanks Sparky!

That one looks pretty cool!

Sweet keep them coming!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Do you really want to know where your TXU money is going? You going to turn off the AC? Unplug the fridge? Skip the gizmo, insulate your attic and save some money that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Do you really want to know where your TXU money is going? You going to turn off the AC? Unplug the fridge? Skip the gizmo, insulate your attic and save some money that way.
    That's not as much fun.... But yes the Attic is on the short list.

My daughter is in a huge "green" mode, she is working to make us more efficient figured this would be a way to see if her efforts were paying off.

So far we have upgrade several appliances to energy star appliances, switched 99% of our lights to CFL lights, added an attic fan, and have bumped the thermostat up to near unpleasant levels......

I'm in the middle of re-insulating the attic myself. I had convinced myself the right way to go was R-30 rolls versus getting loose blown insulation put in. I think in the end the rolled stuff is better, but I really should have done this back in winter. I get about an hour up there in the morning before it becomes a sauna. BUT... I'm a little over a third done...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

You do know that CFL lighting is only cost effective when leaving lights on for 15 minutes or longer, right? Frequent on off cycling reduces their lifespan to less than that of incandescent bulbs. When they burn out, it smells like an electrical fire in the house.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

And dead CFLs are hazardous waste.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    You do know that CFL lighting is only cost effective when leaving lights on for 15 minutes or longer, right? Frequent on off cycling reduces their lifespan to less than that of incandescent bulbs. When they burn out, it smells like an electrical fire in the house.
    Would love to see your source on that factoid.

We have lost a couple of CFL bulbs and have never had any odor. We have had great luck with our change over, and a majority of our lights are on for minuimum of 5 minutes so I guess we are OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    And dead CFLs are hazardous waste.
    We take ours to Lowe's (Keller) they have a recycle program for dead CFL's.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    I'm in the middle of re-insulating the attic myself. I had convinced myself the right way to go was R-30 rolls versus getting loose blown insulation put in.
    I did the bat roll-in at our previous house and had more loose fiberglass blown in to this house. This house is a little over 20 years newer than the last, but I really noticed a comfort improvement here.

I did the bat roll-in at our previous house and had more loose fiberglass blown in to this house. This house is a little over 20 years newer than the last, but I really noticed a comfort improvement here.
    Who did the insulation for ya this year??

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Who did the insulation for ya this year??
    http://efficientattic.com/

I was going to do the blown-in cellulose myself, but they had a special running earlier this year. I got blown-in fiberglass (which we as homeowner's can't buy for some reason) for about $200 more than DIY.

I am hoping that I see a lower energy cost at the new place. I was pleased to learn from the inspection that the attic insulation (blown) ranges from 16-18" deep and the exterior walls are 2x6 construction rather than the 2x4 construction common in many newer homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I am hoping that I see a lower energy cost at the new place. I was pleased to learn from the inspection that the attic insulation (blown) ranges from 16-18" deep and the exterior walls are 2x6 construction rather than the 2x4 construction common in many newer homes.
    Do they have electricity that far out in Nevada, TX??

Did you see a big improvement at the old house with the rolls?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Do they have electricity that far out in Nevada, TX??
    Electricity, yes.

Gas, sewer, cable, dsl... no.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Did you see a big improvement at the old house with the rolls?
    I honestly didn't see the comfort improvement I was hoping for. It was built in 1971 so it wasn't very efficient to begin with. The nice thing about the blown-in stuff is that it will fill every little gap. They should install rafter baffles first so the soffit vents can still breath and fill everything else up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast