Thread: Wheels for ES

Blog Entries

Default Wheels for ES

Pardon my ignorance but I've been noticing that everybody running slicks in ES are using OEM wheels. From looking at the Rules (maybe I'm looking at the wrong place) the wheels have to be the factory diameter, width and within 1/2 inch of the factory offset, but does it have to be a factory wheel? Would lighter wheels be legal? Buddy has a pair of Kosei's that are 14X6, 38 offset and 9.3 lbs. Would these be legal in ES on my '94? He only has 2, he hit a curb with the other 2 (ouch). Said he was trying to miss a dog. I think he was drunk and trying to miss a pine tree. The one hanging from his rear view mirror. However I can get another 2 from tire rack or somebody easy enough.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

You can run aftermarket wheels so long as they are the same size as stock and within the offset tolerence. Stay on street tires for now -- you will learn a lot more. I was on them for two years before switching and it was one of the better decisions in my life.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

The offset must be within 1/4". You may use spacers and longer lug bolts to get within the 1/4" offset if you need to.

jrj512 has good advice, stick with the street tires for now. If I were you, I would run Novice for the rest of this year, then Tire class next year. And, be looking for some autocross schools to attend.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

On top of what these two guys have already said, they run on stock wheels because stock miata wheels are lighter than alot of aftermarket wheels. Our cars have pretty good wheels to begin with.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Blog Entries

I'm considering changing to the Kosei's because a couple of my stock wheels have some curb rash. I just didn't want to buy a set of wheels I couldn't stay in NES or TES with, and there is always the bling factor on a daily driver. About the time the Azini's get good and worn in for AX, I might not want to use them in the wet on the street anyway. The 2 wheels he is selling are dirt cheap because he's buying an up size. I guess I'll buy 'em and throw 'em in storage until I make up my mind.
    Stripe Das Sape

I have a set of 14X6 semi-hollow spokes in my garage I'd be wiling to get rid of, PM me if interested.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Kosei even make 14" rims anymore?? I see one 14" Kosei listed on TireRack.

Creek, I could be wrong but I think your OE wheels have a 45 mm offset. Changing to a 38 mm offset is a 7 mm change. 1/4 inch equals 6.35 mm so that would not be following the rules.

I would not protest it, I'm not perfect either, but there are some who would.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    so that would not be following the rules......

Nobody will care until you start beating them.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Creek, I could be wrong but I think your OE wheels have a 45 mm offset. Changing to a 38 mm offset is a 7 mm change. 1/4 inch equals 6.35 mm so that would not be following the rules.

Anyone who would protest over 26 thousandths of an inch offset, deserves the trophy.
    Stripe Das Sape

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Anyone who would protest over 26 thousandths of an inch offset, deserves the trophy.
    I agree, but I hear that they'll protest your dip stick at Nationals. If you're only running local events, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I agree, but I hear that they'll protest your dip stick at Nationals. If you're only running local events, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yep try to sneak one by at the divisional or a national event! I look forward to reading your post about how mean the other kids were to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Yep try to sneak one by at the divisional or a national event! I look forward to reading your post about how mean the other kids were to ya.
    If the rest of the divisionals were anything like Pearsall, I think most the competitors would be busy figuring out how to not DNF instead of checking for legality
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

One reason that Stock guys run on OEM wheels it that they have non-stock size wheels for the street.