Thread: T1Rs already here and installed!

Default T1Rs already here and installed!

Got my tires from Edge yesterday, and just now got home from the tire shop. Can't tell much about 'em so far, since I was crawling though the morning rush traffic, but I'm sure I'll have a chance to get out and thrash 'em a bit in the next few days.

I did have to pull a bit of a Jed Clampett to get the tires to the shop...

2 standing up in the passenger seat
    1 balanced on the console
    1 wedged in the trunk with the lid flopping down on it
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

That's not bad, one time I had a total of 4 wheels 17X9.5 and 4 255/40/17 tires in the RX-8, they were all seperate not mounted. I was up to my ears in tire and could barely drive the car. Good thing it was only 2 mins down the street to BAM!'s shop
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Got out at lunch and ripped around on the new boots.

They feel a little "squishy" on turn-in, but I'm guessing that's because these tires actually have tread on them (my old tires were beyond the wear bars - doh!). The grip is a HUGE improvement over my rock-hard old tires, and once they bite, they really hang on! I like the way they ride down the road - very smooth and surprisingly quiet. Almost, dare I say, plush.

I'll try and grind 'em down a little this summer before Hallett...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

It took about 800 miles to get em scrubbed good. They grip much, much better now than when new. I had serious understeer at first. Now that I got over a thousand miles on mine I'm ready to shop for stabilizer bars.

Thanks for the info, Nails... glad to hear they'll settle in after a little bit. They should be good and broke-in by the time I get to Cloudcroft, NM on Monday nite...

While I'm out in Silver City, I might have to make a day trip out east across the Black Range to Hillsboro...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 06-27-2008 at 11:17 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Goin' out thru Lubbcck and Roswell and comin' back thru Carlsbad and Midland? Man that looks like some sweet roads out there. Be careful. My tires were slick at first but, due to oversize, they would understeer. Have lots of push now but will be getting new stabilizer bars to correct that. Have fun carving up New Mexico! Bring back pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Goin' out thru Lubbcck and Roswell and comin' back thru Carlsbad and Midland? Man that looks like some sweet roads out there. Be careful. My tires were slick at first but, due to oversize, they would understeer. Have lots of push now but will be getting new stabilizer bars to correct that. Have fun carving up New Mexico! Bring back pictures.
    Going out (and coming back) on 180 thru Albany, Snyder, Hobbs, Cloudcroft, Alamagordo, Las Cruces... I'm looking forward to it!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Saw the tires this morning.... the look good if that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    It took about 800 miles to get em scrubbed good. They grip much, much better now than when new. I had serious understeer at first. Now that I got over a thousand miles on mine I'm ready to shop for stabilizer bars.
    Concur on the break-in. Mine had about 350 miles on 'em at last year's Hallett. Not as grippy as I was expecting - they actually felt a little greasy. Couple of track sessions and a few more miles since and they feel great now...
    '96 M-edition

I've got about 1,600 miles on the T1Rs now, and they feel great! I really got to scrub them in on the way up through Cloudcroft, chasing a pair of guys on BMW K-bikes.

Also, on my way back, I ran through one of the most hellacious West Texas rainstorms I've ever seen, and I'm glad to report that the T1Rs are awesome in the rain - quite a bit better than my old A/S Proxes 4 boots.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days