Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy. Can you really save?

Y2K Bug 1.8T 13.5gal tank

w/ Traction Control ON
    Wife - 230miles per tank
    Me - 250miles per tank

w/ Traction Control OFF
    Wife - 250miles per tank
    Me - 280miles per tank

...and I drive alot harder than she does. I am always getting on it to get to the speed limit as fast as possible without squealing the tires. I run 1st to around 6k-6.5k, then into 2d, and then skip right to 5th at 40-50mph. If I am going 40, I am in 5th, but she will go thru every gear, and then not go into 5th unless she is going 55-60mph. This is on the same route during the same times, since we only have one car. Sometimes she takes me to work, sometimes I take her.

I had to do a parts run from my work (near Krispy Cremes in Arlington off Cooper St) to N. Dallas. It was 84miles roundtrip, I had 2 stops, one took about 10 min, the other about 15min. I made the trip in 84min total. I slowed a few times on 20 and 635 to under 100, but stayed at or above most of the way. I got 34mpg on that trip, which is more than the 31mpg I get going to my mom's house near Sherman, when I stay under 80 the whole time, cause my wife doesn't like me driving fast with our 2yr old in the car.

Oh, we also run 40psi in the front tires, and 35psi in the rear, and this is with the AC on the whole time.

So in my experience, the best way to get better MPG is be in the highest gear possible as fast as possible, and maintain a set speed, instead of constantly speeding up and slowing down.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Triena and I are commuting more together now days. If I reset the computer (her car) on the way in I can get up to about 28-29 on the highway, but once I hit town and a few lights is drops pretty fast to 25-26.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

So many articles with so much contradicting information. I'm just going to keep on driving the way I drive.

Ironic how we have always dreamed of having high speed roads like the autobahns in Germany, but now that our gas costs what their's cost a few years ago, we are all now talking about driving slower.

I am short shifting my V6 Ranger and feathering the gas as much as possible, but I am only getting about 19 MPG. Most of my driving in the truck is short commutes on city streets. The way I see it, I can spend $15K to buy a new car that gets twice the mileage, but I would only save about $50/month in gas after adding a $250/month car payment.

So I think about stuff like this when I run, so I have some more ideas...

I wonder if we will see a decrease in accidents since people are driving a little slower and smoother? I wonder if the decrease in accidents attributed to the 55 MPH speed limit (stats can say whatever you want, so I am not sure there was a decrease) was actually caused by people trying to save gas? I wonder if a portion (or a majority?) of the reason for supposedly safer drivers in Europe is only a result of trying to save gas?

I have a 07 CRV with display of real time MPG. It gives you instant feed back. It really helps a lot. I recommend to use this if you have it. I am able to get it into higher gears earlier and ease of the gas when I anticipate stop/slow down ahead. I find it able to cruse with my foot off the paddle for a long time.
    Gabriel

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512
    I wonder if a portion (or a majority?) of the reason for supposedly safer drivers in Europe is only a result of trying to save gas?
    You need only to have driven in Europe to see that their driver training is far superior to the American system.

I also see a combination of fast and slower drivers. It does seem the little cars are trying to drive slower while the SUVs and Pickups don't seem to give a damn about mileage. The blue-collar work vans (Yard men, plumbers, etc...) are driving slower as well.

I'm trying to drive slower but it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. I typically drive 5-10 mph over the posted limit and stretch it to 15-20 over when I'm running late paying close attention to the V1 and looking for the cops.

I drove 60 in a 65 today on 75 and was being passed be almost everyone. I'm going to try and slow it down but I'm still going to be driving top-down in the morning and top-up with AC during the day.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

we drove half of the HOt Rod Power Tour in early June

Little Rock to Topeka

really noticed everyone (except us) driving slower, especially off the line at traffic lights

coming home on 35 from Topeka, we set the cruise in the Z06 at 75 and passed everyone -- never happened before

the following week, I drug the trailer to Austin to get Andy's car and passed every single 18 wheeler while doing 65-70 myself

they seemed to be actually observing the 65 mph limit

Andy mentioned he has almost run over several people leaving the line from traffic lights
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    *snip* but I'm still going to be driving top-down in the morning and top-up with AC during the day.
    +1
    It makes driving to work fun...driving home is still fun, just not as fun.

Carazzie you're gonna cause an accident driving to work with your top down!

I started driving my '99 Nissan pickup. It gets 26mpg and uses regular vs. the Miata gets 27mpg and uses premium.

My next vehicle may be one of these:

Linkie:

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    Pants!

Blog Entries

I haven't researched the Miata yet, but most fuel injected cars actually use less fuel under trailing throttle than when coasting. The fuel injectors actually shut off completely instead of having to supply enough fuel to idle the engine. However, the engines braking effect under trailing throttle causes the car to lose speed, so it will not coast as far. It is not a good idea to coast the car in neutral because you may need the engine's power or brakeing instantly if traffic situation requires it. Coasting with the clutch in is smarter, but I wonder if the throw out bearing's life span may be shortened?
    It is a proven fact in many studies that a convertible will get better milage with the top up, windows up and A/C on than open to the wind. The aerodynamics are greatly improved with the car closed. On a recent trip I drove 200 miles in the morning with the top down while it was cool out and drove back that afternoon in the heat with the top up and A/C blasting. Of course this was all highway but the milage jumped from 26mpg to 31mpg with the top up.

I bought my Miata as a weekend toy but with the price of fuel it has become the primary vehicle while the new Dodge pickup (15 mpg) stays parked.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    and passed every single 18 wheeler while doing 65-70 myself

they seemed to be actually observing the 65 mph limit
    99% of the 18 wheelers have thier top speed governed. The speed is set by whomever is actually buying the fuel for it. Most companies have reduced the speed of thier fleet in the last few months. My truck has been reset from 70 mph to 66 mph with a .4 mpg increase in milage as a result. Doesn't sound like much but at 6.1 mpg versus 5.7 mpg over 12,000 miles per month average it adds up fast. $9,684 versus $9,049 per month fuel cost.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    99% of the 18 wheelers have thier top speed governed. The speed is set by whomever is actually buying the fuel for it. Most companies have reduced the speed of thier fleet in the last few months. My truck has been reset from 70 mph to 66 mph with a .4 mpg increase in milage as a result. Doesn't sound like much but at 6.1 mpg versus 5.7 mpg over 12,000 miles per month average it adds up fast. $9,684 versus $9,049 per month fuel cost.

That is cool. I didn't know they could do that. Learn something new everyday.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

My motorcycle gets around 35-38 MPG even though honda says it can get upwards of 45-50 MPG. (I guess I just don't like riding slow)

BTW: I work less than 1 Km from my dwelling. so I could probably use 2-3 Tanks of gas (@ 4.76 Gl. tank) all year if thats all I did
    Blah blah blah!

45-50 out of a liter bike would be pretty damned good...

I've gotten very consistent 53.3 mpg out of the SV over the last 1800 miles. (With frequent shifts at 9k+ for all you rev weenies...)
    Last edited by tailchaser; 07-01-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    Keepin' those melon prices down.

The Boxster averages 24 on my daily commute, which is a lot better than the Jeep that averaged 16. Now if I could just get Chris to stay out of the Jeep! If you think top down causes wind resistance, try top down, windows out and doors off.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast