Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuel economy. Can you really save?

No matter how I drive around town, I seem to get about 26. On the highway, my mileage can vary wildly. For example... on the way out here to New Mexico yesterday, I burned about 3 tanks of gas.

First tank: Traffic leaving Dallas. Drove fast when I could. Stopped in Snyder and filled up - 26.5 mpg

Second tank: Drove fast out in the middle of nowhere, West Texas. Got a ticket (86 in a 70 - like a tard, I forgot my V1). Slowed down some. Stopped in Artesia, NM and filled up - 28 mpg

Third tank: Charged up the mountain to Cloudcroft, NM behind a couple of dudes on BMW K-bikes - cornering so hard they were almost dragging the bags! Mostly fourth/third gear for me, down on power b/c of the altitude, so the pedal was on the floor most of the time. Then it was downhill all the way through Las Cruces to Deming. Back uphill to Silver City where I filled up - 31 mpg

Go figure.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Blog Entries
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Md. Driver Pulled Over For Going Too Slow -
    Man Drove 50 MPH On I-95 To Conserve Gas
    POSTED: 9:26 am EDT June 26, 2008 UPDATED: 11:38 am EDT June 27, 2008

With high gas prices, drivers are looking for ways to save, but one motorist in Maryland got in trouble for doing just that. Unless going down hill Glenn Conrad drives slower than most. He travels 50 miles an hour on the interstate, which didn't go over well with police. A Maryland state trooper pulled him over as he was heading to BWI airport.

Conrad describes his conversation with the trooper: "He asked, 'Mr. Conrad why are you driving 50 miles an hour back there on I-95?' I said, 'I'm saving gas?' He said, 'Saving gas?' I said, 'Yeah,' and looked at my readout and said, 'I'm getting 69 miles to the gallon right now.'"
    "Speed limits aren't just put there just because the state decides what they want," said Sgt. Chris Davis. "It's because of fuel conservation and the safety of the other motorists and the motorists around you on the highways."

Conrad said after the warning he drives 51 mph on I-95.

In Texas, I think the minimum speed limit is 45 on a major highway/interstate...

Interesting? Yes, but none of those vehicles will get anywhere close to those MPG ratings while using all their power, braking, and handling! Besides, 25MPG is NOT good at $4/gal.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    In Texas, I think the minimum speed limit is 45 on a major highway/interstate...
    Only where it is posted, otherwise you can go as slow as you want. I asked that question when I got pulled over on I30 for going 70 in a 60, but the person I was stuck behind going 40mph just 30 seconds prior was left alone. If you aren't in the left-most lane, you can go 15mph on the freeway, so long as there is no "minimum speed" signs. Sweet huh?
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    The Boxster averages 24 on my daily commute, which is a lot better than the Jeep that averaged 16. Now if I could just get Chris to stay out of the Jeep! If you think top down causes wind resistance, try top down, windows out and doors off.

That's the only way to really drive a jeep right?

Chris

I'm only getting 19-23 MPG. If I had a longer commute I might be more tempted to upgrade to a stand alone or piggyback.

As it is now, I hardly ever drive over the River and my commute is only ~5 miles. I might consider biking to work, except crossing 35 won't be fun.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    Only where it is posted, otherwise you can go as slow as you want. I asked that question when I got pulled over on I30 for going 70 in a 60, but the person I was stuck behind going 40mph just 30 seconds prior was left alone. If you aren't in the left-most lane, you can go 15mph on the freeway, so long as there is no "minimum speed" signs. Sweet huh?
    That's interesting, seems dangerous too. Not sure where I heard the minimum was 45 - maybe I saw it posted once someplace like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    That's interesting, seems dangerous too. Not sure where I heard the minimum was 45 - maybe I saw it posted once someplace like you said.
    I think the fines should be same for either side of the speed limit. Going too slow is just as dangerous or MORE dangerous, as going too fast.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

My Integra mileage skyrocketed when I quit driving 80 everywhere and slowed down to 65... of course, now the aerodynamics are screwed up
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

lost216

Default lostlorin

Pushing in the clutch and coasting downhill is a very bad idea. Coasting with the clutch disengaged creates heat. Distance and speed increase the heat, so
    chances are that around here you will probably just wear your clutch out sooner. I have seen a clutch come apart from this practice. The driver was lucky, the clutch just came apart and stayed inside the bellhousing. It is
    possible to explode a clutch, which makes for a grenade right by your right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by lost216 View Post
    Pushing in the clutch and coasting downhill is a very bad idea. Coasting with the clutch disengaged creates heat. Distance and speed increase the heat, so
    chances are that around here you will probably just wear your clutch out sooner. I have seen a clutch come apart from this practice. The driver was lucky, the clutch just came apart and stayed inside the bellhousing. It is
    possible to explode a clutch, which makes for a grenade right by your right foot.
    Wow I did not know that!! Is it moving while the clutch is disengaged that causes the heat? Would speed make any difference (rolling down a hill - coasting up to a red light)?

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    I think the fines should be same for either side of the speed limit. Going too slow is just as dangerous or MORE dangerous, as going too fast.
    I couldnt agree more. I believe it's very dangerous to mix speeds. I figure if you're on the highway you're goal is to get to your destination the quickest way...if not...then why bother getting on the highway? I suppose an arguement to that would be to avoid lights...but that arguement isn't good enough. And if you're not passing, get out of the left lane!! Drives me crazy when those folks - trying to conserve gas or for whatever reason - drive slow and hang out in the left lane.

It really seems to me that the right lane (slow lane?) moves quicker and smoother than the "passing" lane...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lost216 View Post
    How do you figure? With the clutch fully depressed the clutch disk is not in contact with the flywheel or pressure plate. No friction, no heat. The only part of the clutch assembly engaged is the throw out bearing which is a lubricated rolling bearing and the pilot bearing. It is possible to shorten the clutch's life if you "ride" the clutch keeping the pedal slightly depressed and allowing the clutch to slip. Again, it is not possible to "create heat" by coasting with the clutch pedal fully depressed.
    Stripe Das Sape

What creek said: +1

lost216

Default lostlorin

How do I Figure? When the clutch is disengaged at highway speeds the transmission input shaft and clutch plates are turning at say 3500 rpm.
    The engine, pressure plate and flywheel are turning at 600 rpm. The clutch
    plates are slipping between the pressure plate and flywheel with very high
    velocities at the edge of the clutch plates. This equals heat. Like I said before, I knew a guy who blew a clutch by coasting and holding in the clutch.
    It was a few years ago and I did not save the pieces.

Blog Entries

The entire purpose of the clutch is to disconnect the engine and the transmission. If the clutch was not fully disengaged the engine's RPM would not drop. It sounds like your friends clutch was not fully disengaged. The RPM differential would be the same if the situation was reversed as in reving the engine in gear with the clutch in while stopped. The slightest contact would cause the car to creep forward. Without contact the relative speed differential is immaterial.
    Stripe Das Sape

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

If I'm going to coast for a fairly long distance, I go to neutral and release the clutch pedal. I must agree that there is a small amount of friction still there when the clutch is depressed, but it's not any worse than slipping the clutch when taking off from an incline. I will continue this practice......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I heard coasting in gear saves more fuel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast