Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDE at MSR July 12-13 Roll Call...

Default TDE at MSR July 12-13 Roll Call...

Will there be anyone from the board attending? I will be there in the Spec. Hope to see a few more Miatas there. It is getting quite lonely with so few Miatas attending the DEs. Hope to see you there. I will be instructing, so if anyone can give me a few pointers, all are welcome!!
    Alan

What is this? Grasshopper wants to know.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    What is this? Grasshopper wants to know.
    www.thedriversedge.net/

Hope this helps,
    Alan

Thanks! Been to their events and enjoyed everyone! Want to wait till Oct when it is less hoooooot!
    Gabriel

I wanted to do a TDE event at ECR. However they say no r-comps for me because I haven't already given them $300 for a track day and not run the required "novice group" crap. I have better things to do with my cash than pay $300 to do threshold braking and weight shift exercises. I told them I was fine with running with an instructor all day, but they still said no to track rubber, and I don't feel like burning up a set of street rubber per day.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I wanted to do a TDE event at ECR. However they say no r-comps for me because I haven't already given them $300 for a track day and not run the required "novice group" crap. I have better things to do with my cash than pay $300 to do threshold braking and weight shift exercises. I told them I was fine with running with an instructor all day, but they still said no to track rubber, and I don't feel like burning up a set of street rubber per day.
    Ah, whats a little street rubber?

http://www.onlinetires.com/default.a...ails&tid=32643 $32 per tire

http://www.onlinetires.com/default.a...ails&tid=31570 $41/tire

With quality tires like these, You might even be able to burn rubber in all 5 gears.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 07-14-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Didn't show prices !@#$?
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Ah, whats a little street rubber?

http://www.onlinetires.com/default.a...ails&tid=32643 $32 per tire

http://www.onlinetires.com/default.a...ails&tid=31570 $41/tire

With quality tires like these, You might even be able to burn rubber in all 5 gears.
    lol

I ate a set of kumho 711's in 5 sessions at Hallett last year. lol

Just trying to help you out with ideas... What is your experience with R-compound tires on the track? Also, the 'no R-compound tires for the novice group' is a safety issue first for you and an instructor. The last thing I want is student in the novice group to hide their mistakes with the R-compound tires and send us flying off the track WAY faster than they would have with street tires. If you have track experience with r-compounds, then let them know. So if you are very safe and in control, the instructor or TDE may let you move up in the run groups and maybe solo and then you can put on your R-compounds. That depends on YOUR skill set. Generally speaking, you want to learn with street tires because they let you know quicker if you are about to get into trouble.
    I hope to see you out there,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by smartmx5 View Post
    Just trying to help you out with ideas... What is your experience with R-compound tires on the track? Also, the 'no R-compound tires for the novice group' is a safety issue first for you and an instructor. The last thing I want is student in the novice group to hide their mistakes with the R-compound tires and send us flying off the track WAY faster than they would have with street tires. If you have track experience with r-compounds, then let them know. So if you are very safe and in control, the instructor or TDE may let you move up in the run groups and maybe solo and then you can put on your R-compounds. That depends on YOUR skill set. Generally speaking, you want to learn with street tires because they let you know quicker if you are about to get into trouble.
    I hope to see you out there,
    Alan
    I've never run on r-comps...but I did 23 track days last year, so that's over 100 sessions. I would have run a few days on them last year, but I wanted to burn up my azenis and save the r-comps for the turbo track days that have not yet commenced. It think just about anyone on this forum will vouch for my respect to driving conservatively, and a moderately deft skill level. Its not a bad idea, but I didn't want to pay $300 to do drills all day. I just want the track time.

I've never run on r-comps...but I did 23 track days last year, so that's over 100 sessions. I would have run a few days on them last year, but I wanted to burn up my azenis and save the r-comps for the turbo track days that have not yet commenced. It think just about anyone on this forum will vouch for my respect to driving conservatively, and a moderately deft skill level. Its not a bad idea, but I didn't want to pay $300 to do drills all day. I just want the track time.
    I like the idea of burning up the azenis. If you attend, bring your r-comps, learn the track, show safety, situational awareness, prove your prowess and TDE or your instructor may let you put those tires on the car. Who did you have your track days with? Member of MSR or part of an HPDE organization?

I like the idea of burning up the azenis. If you attend, bring your r-comps, learn the track, show safety, situational awareness, prove your prowess and TDE or your instructor may let you put those tires on the car. Who did you have your track days with? Member of MSR or part of an HPDE organization?
    if i were a member at any track, I wouldn't care about running ECR. Sure it sounds like a good idea, but at this point, its probably less safe to get out there on rock hard, 400-wear rated tires with 250+whp. Not only that, why burn up $400 in street tires (which will go off / overheat after 2 laps like my Azenis do) just to prove that I really have track experience? Its a formality that is probably a good idea, yet will keep ECR from ever seeing any of my money.

I've run tons and tons at hallett, Apex, and a few "member-buddy" days at MSR. In my spare time I like to instruct F1 drivers. A few days ago I dug up Ayerton Senna and gave him a few pointers. I'm that good. Now if you'll excuse my, I have to go drive my Peugeot 908fap to sears and get street tires.

if i were a member at any track, I wouldn't care about running ECR. Sure it sounds like a good idea, but at this point, its probably less safe to get out there on rock hard, 400-wear rated tires with 250+whp. Not only that, why burn up $400 in street tires (which will go off / overheat after 2 laps like my Azenis do) just to prove that I really have track experience? Its a formality that is probably a good idea, yet will keep ECR from ever seeing any of my money.

I've run tons and tons at hallett, Apex, and a few "member-buddy" days at MSR. In my spare time I like to instruct F1 drivers. A few days ago I dug up Ayerton Senna and gave him a few pointers. I'm that good. Now if you'll excuse my, I have to go drive my Peugeot 908fap to sears and get street tires.
    Tell Ayerton we said "Hello."

• It's Ayrton, not "Ayerton".
    • Your attitude is going to be your biggest hindrance in moving up with any organization that you haven't run with yet. You may think you're God's gift to a racetrack, but my experience is that the students with moderate skills - and a big ego - are the most dangerous ones out there. You've got enough experience to think you know better, but not enough experience yet to realize that you don't.

Alan - Are you the guy with the world's cleanest Spec Miata? If so, this is Iain, the guy with the dark green RX-8 from Apex events. I didn't know you were on this board.
    Last edited by altiain; 07-15-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Alan - Are you the guy with the world's cleanest Spec Miata? If so, this is Iain, the guy with the dark green RX-8 from Apex events. I didn't know you were on this board. [/QUOTE]

Ian,
    Yep, that is me. Will you be instucting at Apex later this month?
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    • It's Ayrton, not "Ayerton".
    • Your attitude is going to be your biggest hindrance in moving up with any organization that you haven't run with yet. You may think you're God's gift to a racetrack, but my experience is that the students with moderate skills - and a big ego - are the most dangerous ones out there. You've got enough experience to think you know better, but not enough experience yet to realize that you don't.

Alan - Are you the guy with the world's cleanest Spec Miata? If so, this is Iain, the guy with the dark green RX-8. I didn't know you were on this board.
    I'm joking dude, come on, you've met me. Just like anything in life, the more I drive on the track, the more I realize that I have to grow. I actually have a tiny ego on the track, and I've only had two real "offs" in that many track days. My #1 goal on a track day is to drive it home, #2 is to have fun, #3 is to get faster, and #4 is to be faster than johnwag. I have enough experience to begin to grasp how little I know, and hope for really, really good instructors that will push me.

How can you not see irony in a post about digging someone out of a grave, and driving a million dollar car to sears?

Gotcha.

One thing to keep in mind is to look at it from the organizer's POV: they don't know you from Adam (or Ayrton, for that matter). They pay a lot of money to insurance companies so that they can put on an event. All it takes for that premium to skyrocket is one bonehead with a fast car and minimal talent. R comps just make the potential consequences that much worse, since they allow boneheads to dig themselves a much deeper hole.

Like Alan suggested, I'd sign up, list your previous experience, bring your R comps, and be honest with your instructor before the first session. Let him know that you're looking for a check ride so that you can run your R comps or run solo or whatever. Demonstrate that you are capable, and chances are you'll be given that opportunity relatively quickly.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Gotcha.

One thing to keep in mind is to look at it from the organizer's POV: they don't know you from Adam (or Ayrton, for that matter). They pay a lot of money to insurance companies so that they can put on an event. All it takes for that premium to skyrocket is one bonehead with a fast car and minimal talent. R comps just make the potential consequences that much worse, since they allow boneheads to dig themselves a much deeper hole.

Like Alan suggested, I'd sign up, list your previous experience, bring your R comps, and be honest with your instructor before the first session. Let him know that you're looking for a check ride so that you can run your R comps or run solo or whatever. Demonstrate that you are capable, and chances are you'll be given that opportunity relatively quickly.

Plus, personally, I would love to see the 250+ whp miata. I would ride in that. That car must scream on the track.
    Alan

Plus, personally, I would love to see the 250+ whp miata. I would ride in that. That car must scream on the track.
    Alan
    I don't know yet, but I will soon when I fly home for a week to built it and hope it runs well before hallett. Considering a few internet personalities are making 254-257whp at 9psi on a stock motor with the same turbo, hitting target boost at 3500rpm...its going to be very interesting on my built motor. Actually, I'm afraid and plan on running the first few sessions on 4-7psi. An e-friend who's big-time into turbo track miatas says 250whp on the track at sub 2100lb can get really interesting, quick.
    Last edited by SirHustlerEsq; 07-15-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Alan - Are you the guy with the world's cleanest Spec Miata? If so, this is Iain, the guy with the dark green RX-8 from Apex events. I didn't know you were on this board.

Ian,
    Yep, that is me. Will you be instucting at Apex later this month?
    Alan
    Nope. Wish I could be there, but my wife will be recovering from surgery, so I'll be playing "good husband" instead. Y'all have fun out there, and I'll see you again in the fall!
    Iain

i really, really want to do a "Stevens Brother's" school event at Hallett. I don't really know where I can improve on that track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast