Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Loud Engine Ticking, Video inside

If it is just lifter tick you really should try the 2twisty flush that I've recommended twice already before you spend the money replacing lifters, it completely took care of my lifter tick and it doesn't cost very much to try.
    John O.
    94R

Did you do the Kerosene step? I'm just going to do oil/atf/fresh oil
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

No, I just let the ATF/Oil drain for a while.
    John O.
    94R

Wink

Found the following quote from our lad CosmosMpower, kind of makes ya wonder if sythetic may not be a bad thing since he is now the one with a post named Very Loud Engine Ticking, Video inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Bah, no reason to put synthetic in a Miata, mine runs great on Castrol GTX. I recently tried GTX high mileage and it works even better, no more ticking even after about 1,500 miles like all the other oils I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    The car seems to be doing fine the last 175,000 miles on the cheap stuff so I will Besides with the savings you could probably get a cheap junkyard Miata engine anyways (5 quarts @ 10 bucks vs 5 quarts @ $40 times 53 oil changes=$1,750 ) it's no vintage aircraft engine just my pos beater

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Found the following quote from our lad CosmosMpower, kind of makes ya wonder if sythetic may not be a bad thing since he is now the one with a post named Very Loud Engine Ticking, Video inside.

LOL! I'm still not convinced that it wouldn't have happened running full synthetic the whole time. I may send some of the oil I drain out to Blackstone for an oil analysis to see what they find.

If you search the pointy board on the topic plenty of people have very bad HLA tick/knock even using Redline or Mobil 1 synethic as well as traditional dino oil or even blends. It seems the oil change interval and viscosity of the oil has a much bigger effect on this.

Hopefully tonight we'll see if the 2TWISTY flush works for me. Going to pick up 3 quarts of ATF and some 50 weight oil plus some clean normal 10W30 and cross my fingers.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I have 175k miles too. I've used Castol High Mileage GTX for years with no issues. Changed every 3k. When I used Mobile 1 the car used oil between changes.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Mobil 1 is crap, not even a true synthetic
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Mobil 1 is crap, not even a true synthetic
    Not anymore anyways. We still use it on the S2000 since that's all it's ever used.

Got me some cheap ATF, 20W50, GTX high mileage 10W30, cheap filter and M1 filter at lunch. Hoping to bring the Miata back to quiet after work tonight, wish me luck.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

You're lucky then (I was wrong about the not true synthetic part, looks like it's no longer Group III stuff), I put M1 5w30 and 10w30 in my RSX, and tried both in the S2k; both of the cars burned it off too quickly. Switched to Castrol in the RSX and it stopped burning it off, going to the German blend of Castrol once I get the S2k back up.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Let the car idle with the ATF for as long as you can or two hours then let it drain for 30 minutes, then when you start it back up with the new oil and filter it should only chatter or tick until the new oil gets to the lifters.
    John O.
    94R

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    Let the car idle with the ATF for as long as you can or two hours then let it drain for 30 minutes, then when you start it back up with the new oil and filter it should only chatter or tick until the new oil gets to the lifters.
    I seem to recall from posts on miata.net that it was okay to drive it gently.

Well the GUNK engine flush did nothing. I drained out the dirty oil, changed a filter and poured in 3 qts ATF and 1 qt 5W20. Going to let it idle for a few hours as directed, hopefully that does the trick.

It hasn't stopped ticking yet in 30 mins but I'm not sure if it's supposed to gradually go away or not until you fill with real oil and change the filter afterwards.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Tick is GONE! Did the 2TWISTY flush and still was ticking. Changed the oil and the ticking was a little quieter. Took her out and warmed up the oil for a few minutes then gave it a few high RPM revs and magic, gone. Guess it was just a stuck lifter after all.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nice.

Told ya.
    John O.
    94R

WOOHOO!

Great news

Those stuck lifters sure do make a hell of a racket, don't they?

Hearing it in person was the clencher.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Good to hear. Now, how much do you want for that broken LE?
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    WOOHOO!

Great news

Those stuck lifters sure do make a hell of a racket, don't they?

Hearing it in person was the clencher.

RJ
    Big thanks to channelmaniac

I knew a trained ear would come in handy, it sounded like it was from the top of the engine but the confirmation was nice. I was pretty nervous when it was still ticking during the GUNK and 2TWISTY process and even after I initially poured in the clean oil.

Also there was a WIX filter on the car, I don't recall ever buying a POS no-name filter but maybe I got lazy and just picked it up somewhere when I bought the oil. It's now using a Mobil 1 M-110 (the larger one) and GTX high mileage 10W30.

Going to do a detail and take some pictures/post it for sale when I get back from my vacation. Good to know I can leave with at least 1 car in good health (stupid Lotus is at the dealer with gimpy a/c).
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    Told ya.
    Yep good call, driving it pretty hard finally did the trick after all that. Did yours just go away during the flush when you put in the fresh oil or did you have to rev it a little to get the clean motor flowing to stop the tick when you did the 2TWISTY??
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Draining the oil doesn't drain the stuff in the lifters... it takes time & some pressure to get all that ATF/oil mixture out and the good clean oil in there.

They have TINY passages that get clogged with crap, that's why you use the ATF - cleans those things out very well.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast