Thread: I want to start doing track stuff

Default I want to start doing track stuff

Hey everyone like it days in main line I really want to start getting into doing track stuff but never been at all so I don't know how to start someone wanna give me tips.

Default Hallett is good for getting your feet wet.

Several first timers from this forum are going to Oklahoma in September for Miatas at Hallett. See other threads for info. This is one of the cheaper track/instruction events of the year and a bit more casual too. There are 18 slots left open at this time out of 80 total.

I would suggest autocross. You will learn a lot about car control and looking ahead.

Autocross is always a good stepping stone into track events. Like jrj512 mentioned, it teaches you basic car control skills that will come in handy when you move to the higher speeds of track days. I would recommend starting with some of the local marque club autocross events, like those put on by Maverick Region PCA, Lone Star BMWCCA, and the North Texas S2000 Owner's Club. Maverick PCA also runs what they call "time trial" events, which are basically a cross between an autocross and a track event.

Once you've gotten a couple of autocrosses under your belt, check out the schedule for Apex Driving Academy at Motorsport Ranch, and sign up for an event. Apex is a great place for beginners because they keep their run groups small (fewer cars on the track means fewer potential problems) and typically have a high instructor-to-student ratio. The Driver's Edge and Eagles Canyon also have track days in the DFW area.

Still, as an instructor I strongly encourage you to at least do a four or five autocrosses before you hit the track, Track time isn't cheap, and you will get a lot more out of your first track day if you already understand some of the basics.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Or ya may want to go to this event -> http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=12539
    Yeah the time trial would be a great place to learn. The course is really safe with much more runoff than an road course. And since you get a ridiculous amount of seat time instead of 3-8 runs like an autocross.

how much is it to go out to the track generally? 50, 100m couple hundred?

Depends. Are you talking Track Fee's or aggregate?

Expect $150-$250 normally.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I have no idea I've never been I guess how much it cost to be to the track all day total cost

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    how much is it to go out to the track generally? 50, 100m couple hundred?
    Apex and Eagles Canyon 1-day events run ~$200 per event. 2-day events from NASA, Driver's Edge, PCA, etc. can run $250-$350+, depending on which track, which organizer, what group you're running (time trial and race groups are typically more expensive than HPDE groups), whether you rent a transponder or not, etc.

That's just entry fees. Don't forget to factor in the cost of tires, brake pads and rotors, fuel, etc. Track day expenses can mount up very quickly.

Autocross is a bit easier on the wallet. Entry fees typically range from $25-40 per event, depending on the organizer and whether you're a member. You still have fuel and tire wear, although autocross won't put nearly as much wear on your brakes.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Apex and Eagles Canyon 1-day events run ~$200 per event. 2-day events from NASA, Driver's Edge, PCA, etc. can run $250-$350+, depending on which track, which organizer, what group you're running (time trial and race groups are typically more expensive than HPDE groups), whether you rent a transponder or not, etc.

That's just entry fees. Don't forget to factor in the cost of tires, brake pads and rotors, fuel, etc. Track day expenses can mount up very quickly.

Autocross is a bit easier on the wallet. Entry fees typically range from $25-40 per event, depending on the organizer and whether you're a member. You still have fuel and tire wear, although autocross won't put nearly as much wear on your brakes.
    Don't forget seat time per dollars. Track events give you a lot more seat time for the dollar. Using your $ figures and my assumed track time.

$25 - 6 (2 minute runs?) = $2.09 a minute at best.
    $40 - 4 (1 1/2 minute runs) = $6.67 a minute at worst.

$150 - 4 (25 minute runs) = $1.50 a minute at best. (Miatas at Hallett)
    $350 - 8 (20 minute runs) = $2.19 a minute at worst. (2 Day event)

There is more wear and tear at one track event vs. one AutoX but if you figure I, like most track junkies might only do 1-2 events a year vs. a whole season of AutoX then I bet the wear and tear evens out. Gas is likely worse for AutoX when you figure all the trips back and forth to Mineral Wells. Then again, most track events require hotel fees as well.

Both are fun but in a different way.

AutoX is like a day at Six Flags paying normal admission. Lots of waiting for a quick bit of fun but it's easier to do more frequently.

Track Days are like having a VIP day at an empty Six Flags paying several times more than a regular ticket where you can ride the roller coaster again and again without waiting.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

yes, its expensive...but you will not have more fun on this earth.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I, like most track junkies might only do 1-2 events a year...
    I'm not sure that one or two events per year makes one a track junkie. A casual user, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrx804 View Post
    Hey everyone like it days in main line I really want to start getting into doing track stuff but never been at all so I don't know how to start someone wanna give me tips.
    My two cents: I started all this track stuff in April of 2004. I can say that I have run the equivalent of at least one event a month since that time. I will have several DEs a month. Twice this year I have had 3 per month. (My wife still loves me!!!!!) It is very addictive. Once you get that "Go Fast Crack Pipe," you will be hooked. Just try it. I do agree with altiain that auto-xers do pick up the jargon and concept quicker that others who do not auto-x. Come out and have fun. Remember safety first. There is no substitute. Try a one day HPDE or auto-x a couple of times. But consider yourself warned, you can become consumed with this hobby!!!! Also, part of the whole 'track stuff' is to hang out with your friends and make new ones.
    Alan

PS. BTW, please use commas and periods.