Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM-style brake rotor recommendations?

Default OEM-style brake rotor recommendations?

I'm getting off my ass to start getting ready for Hallett, and I want to swap out my drilled rotors for some solid OEM-style units. Any recommendations? Are VatoZone rotors as good as any?

Also... DOT 4 or DOT 5 on the brake fluid?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Napa ftw!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-11-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added a link for trickyrix

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Valvoline Synthetic seems to be the popular brake fluid. Can't speak for how it would on the track.

NAPA/AutoZone rotors.

Motul brake fluid.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Also... DOT 4 or DOT 5 on the brake fluid?
    Don't put DOT 5 in a DOT 3 car unless you want to replace your seals and hoses real soon.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Make sure to get the Italian made rotors (Brembo IIRC)

NAPA also has some shitty chinese rotors too.

Actual differences between China and Brembo Rotors or horror stories? I'd be more concerned with proper bedding in than "cheap" rotors.

+1 for Motul RBF500

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I will also vote for the NAPA ones as well.

Cool... DOT 4 Motul and Napa Brembo rotors... sounds good to me. Who carries the Motul stuff?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Gary
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Gary@TDR. You might need two pints for a completely full flush. Or use one for the flush and one for backup. I was just barely able to do it with one pint recently.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Napa rotors, Valvoline DOT 3/4 fluid.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Valvoline Synthetic seems to be the popular brake fluid. Can't speak for how it would on the track.
    I had my 03 on the track twice (MSR once and ECR once) and had no problems with using that fluid. Granted, I was on street tires and not R compounds, but never had any problems with brakes.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Blog Entries

NAPA had the best price on rotors 2 months ago when I bought mine, and they were the italian jobs. They were stamped around the rim. The NAPA store/distribution center at Military Pkwy. and Masters road was the only store to have them (front) in stock at that time but I had to go to Autozone for the rears. The front rotors were not "scuffed" but the rears were.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

I got the rotors from Napa creek is talking about too (per his suggestion) We put Dot4 in the car..... made a world of difference!

What's the problem with your drilled ones? Just worried about cracking them on the track? From what I've heard different style rotors don't really make a difference in street driving and your drilled ones looked pretty ballin' so I would just stick with them, but you might run into problems if you put alot of heat into them on a track constantly.
    John O.
    94R

Rick, there is really no need for you to swap rotors. If you think you must, I use the Wagner brand rotors from O' Reilly's. My rotors have a lifetime warranty, whatever that is worth......
    All you need to do is make sure you have hawk hp+ pads, or equivalent, and motul rbf600.

Aggressive driving, lots of track time, different tires/brake pads, significant brake fade and brake fluid boiling showed me all of the weaknesses in my braking system. I have tried a good amount of combinations to get the setup I have currently.
    My track setup is: Wagner "OEM" rotors, stainless brake lines, Hawk Blues, Motul RBF600 and r-comp tires.

Yep, I'm worried about the drilled ones cracking, plus they're starting to get a tad warped. I figure I can't go wrong with all new stuff (along with those new/used brake lines!) before Hallett.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Rotors don't get "warped", per se.
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Bedding in Theory
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

List of Stoptech White Papers. Interesting Reads
    http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/te...e_papers.shtml

So whatcha gonna do with the cross drilled rotors?

Chris

Default NAPA rotors

I ordered mine from NAPA on line for about $15 each.
    They were at my house in five days and were Brembo's.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast