Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snell approved helmet?

Blog Entries

XSmall only
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

From what I read at the SMF website, the Motorcycle rating is higher than the SA one. So why wouldn't a Motorcycle helmet be ok for track duty?

Or I guess my question is, what does SCCA mandate?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    From what I read at the SMF website, the Motorcycle rating is higher than the SA one. So why wouldn't a Motorcycle helmet be ok for track duty?
    I believe the M ratings do not have any flame retarding rating where the SA ones do. You don't tend to get trapped in your motorcycle after a wreck. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I discovered just how many ratings there are on helmetcity.com - I found it to be a good website for learning. DOT, SNELL, and some British rating...SA ratings M ratings...the list goes on...it's a bit confusing...but whatever THEY want is what I must have...so I guess SNELL M2000 or SNELL M2005 is what it must be.

I read on some site I visited via Google that just about any helmet can meet DOT requirements.

As a novice driver, I don't think I have to worry too much, unless another novice causes me to wreck/wrecks in to me.

I was also curious...since I don't wear a helmet usually, if you and the instructor are both wearing helmets, can you still hear each other while you're driving to be instructed??

I'm really excited about this event...I am learning a lot about a lot of things....like helmets and trendy shoes ((heh)).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    I believe the M ratings do not have any flame retarding rating where the SA ones do. You don't tend to get trapped in your motorcycle after a wreck. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    So what's required? The M rating or the SA rating?? I was with the impression that the paperwork said M2000 or better...

"They" say SA > M. Either one will work for Hallett.

Some track day organizations are starting to require SA. Most if not all autocross orgs are happy with M. M is more readily available and typically cheaper, all else equal.
    '96 M-edition

Makes sense above flame resistance (retardance, don't boycott me). However, the more hardcore racing (<10 sec 1/4 mile maybe) require a nomex backlava (not that honey filled sweet snack).

Thinking back now, I believe reading somewhere about the differences. Motorcycle crashes usually have higher G spikes whereas automobile normally have lower sustained forces/multiple impacts (think hitting the rollbar/rollcage). I'll see if I can find the article.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Thinking back now, I believe reading somewhere about the differences. Motorcycle crashes usually have higher G spikes whereas automobile normally have lower sustained forces/multiple impacts (think hitting the rollbar/rollcage). I'll see if I can find the article.
    There is also the big debate on if you should wear a full face helmet in a car with airbags... Apparently, nasty things can happen to your neck if the airbag hits the right spot on the chin of the helmet.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Makes sense above flame resistance (retardance, don't boycott me). However, the more hardcore racing (<10 sec 1/4 mile maybe) require a nomex backlava (not that honey filled sweet snack).

Chris
    I believe the "test object" for M is larger diameter - think curb - than the one for SA - think rollbar. Meaning the force is applied more sharply to the SA helmet for the test.
    '96 M-edition

There is also the big debate on if you should wear a full face helmet in a car with airbags... Apparently, nasty things can happen to your neck if the airbag hits the right spot on the chin of the helmet.

Who still has an airbag?

I'm ambivalent about early Miata airbags. But it was a moot point for me b/c all three of my miata (92,91,91) have had an airbag light. Therefore I have a MOMO now. NA miata steering wheels suck.

I understand the point though. Without testing data, it's speculation for the level of physical debate. The way I see it, it can't be worse than being 3 inches away from the wheel.

Chris

I just recently bought a new G-Force open face SA2000 helmet locally from Robert Vick at Vick Motorsports. He's located just off off SE Loop 820 just before the I-20 split. He was closing out the old helmets and I picked this one up for $105. I think he had the newer SA2005 versions for around $169. Didn't seem like a bad price for an SA rated helmet. Although now I've got a $20 head riding around in a $105 helmet

I got the helmet - snell m2000. No nastiness/odors, looks brand new with the exception of a few scratches. $50.00 - it is full face with a visor. Will definitely take the visor off - I don't like helmets.

Or I guess my question is, what does SCCA mandate?

Chris
    Depends on what you want to do. For autocrossing all they require is M95 or higher. Club racing requires an SA rating, iirc.

Actually, there was a bunch of hoopla a few years back because a Dodge test driver broke his jaw when he crashed a Viper. The airbag deployed, hit the chin bar of his full face helmet, which subsequently hit his lower jaw and broke it. The SCCA toyed with the idea of banning full face helmets in airbag-equipped cars following the incident, but decided against it.

AFAIK, the Viper crash was an isolated incident - I certainly haven't heard of a rash of similar accidents. Personally, I still prefer wearing a full face helmet on the track, especially in an open topped car, regardless of airbags. YMMV.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Personally, I still prefer wearing a full face helmet on the track, especially in an open topped car...
    I just put a note on my instrument cluster not to look up when I roll over.

Rules for helmets for Hallett is SNELL 2000 or better.

Driver
    Blog Entries

... the more hardcore racing (<10 sec 1/4 mile maybe) require a nomex backlava (not that honey filled sweet snack)....
    I think you mean balaclava, not backlava.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12