Thread: Need help finding a power source.

Default Need help finding a power source.

So my electronic boost gauge needs a power source that is ignition-hot...but it has to STAY hot while the engine is cranking (key in "start" position). This is for the auto calibration function of the gauge.

I can't find anything that fits the bill. Hoping someone with more experience can help me out.

Independent dedicated switched battery line? ECU power line?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Who makes the boost gauge and what does the instructions say?

Also, aren't the interior lights constant power as well?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Driver
    Blog Entries

Whatever powers the ECU, fuel pump, ignition would be hot while cranking and while running.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Who makes the boost gauge and what does the instructions say?

Also, aren't the interior lights constant power as well?

Chris
    It's an autometer sport comp electronic gauge. Interior lights are constant. I need something that's only on with the key.

Wouldn't ECU be constant hot and not switched? I'll look into fuel pump - that seems to make sense.

Radio?
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    Radio?
    That's where it's currently wired to. Radio gets no power when the key is in the "start" position.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mk2tmr2 View Post

Wouldn't ECU be constant hot and not switched? I'll look into fuel pump - that seems to make sense.
    I'm not an expert on the Miata ECU, but my guess would be that there would be two power sources to the ECU - one for keep alive memory, and another to power it, the injectors, and the spark when it needs to be running, sort of like most radios. I could be wrong, though.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Ummm...what about that little blue plug (not sure of the correct name for it) on top of the wheel well on the driver's side? The one you connect to when checking timing? Isn't that one hot?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Ummm...what about that little blue plug (not sure of the correct name for it) on top of the wheel well on the driver's side? The one you connect to when checking timing? Isn't that one hot?
    Not sure which one you're referring to. I've got a PDF of the full wiring diagram for the whole car now, so I'm sure I'll find something :)
    Last edited by mk2tmr2; 08-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.

So it looks like the Light Green wire coming from the PCM on connector 3 position N is the signal to the fuel pump relay.

My question is do I tap into this wire for my power source or do I need to go for the Red and Blue (R/L) wire coming out the other side of the relay? I don't have much of a clue how to read these types of diagrams.