Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: OTM Opinions

Default Wanted: OTM Opinions

I need a daily driver. Probably a 4 door, automatic preferred, but not required. I prefer something a little sporty and NOT GERMAN. Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, been there, done that, met some nice mechanics. 1-2 years old is fine. I am letting my dealer license expire at the end of the month and want to get something to last me a while. I drive about 18000 mile a year around DFW as a consultant, but recently I am down to about 15000. I currently drive a Suburban and have a 1989 Jeep in the personal fleet, so I am set for trucks. The wifey has a new Camry, so I'm ok there.

My sensible side tells me to just get a 4cyl Accord and be done with it. but... I would like to hear any other ideas.

In the running are:
    Infiniti G35 (premium fuel and 20ish mpg)
    Maxima
    TSX
    Camry, but I think its weird when a couple have the same car for some reason.
    new Mazda6? has anyone seen one?
    Sonata
    Civic
    Some kinda Subaru?
    Last edited by Mathews2004; 09-09-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo

I would go for a Mazda6 or an Accord
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

How about a couple-year-old Acura TL - IIRC that's the European Accord. I always thought those looked really nice. I also like the Subaru Legacy GT, but the mileage might suck if you keep your foot in it.

As for a couple having the same kind of car... there's a couple down the street from my folks who have 2 identical RX300's - even down to the same color. It's almost creepy.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Mazda 6?
    I haven't seen one in person yet, but they look nice. There might not be any deals on a brand new model, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

The TSX is a very nice car, I've driven quite a few, and I would take it over an Accord or Civic if it's in your price range (the TSX is a little pricey over those 2). The interior is awesome, and they come with a lot of nice features.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I do like Acura TL's too. I think the TSX is the Euro Accord. The TSX is another that requires premium fuel.

I also forgot to mention the RX8 as a longshot contender...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Mazda 6?
    I saw the first commercial for it last night during one of the football games. It is good looking and looks nothing like the previous gen.

Last edited by sammm; 09-09-2008 at 12:24 PM. Reason: smaller pic

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004 View Post
    I also forgot to mention the RX8 as a longshot contender...
    Well since you already have a fuel efficient suburban an RX8 would be a good choice!

I looked at the Mazda6 the other day I came away unimpressed (YMMV).

What about a used Lexus ES300/ES350 the suckers tend to hold value like few other cars around!

Malibu, now that they have the 6-speed auto with the four-banger.

Or, a Saturn Aura.

You can't go wrong with a Lexus/Toyota. No votes for the G35 or Maxima? The Maxima is one of my top choices right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Malibu, now that they have the 6-speed auto with the four-banger.

Or, a Saturn Aura.

I might check out the Malibu. I heard they have really come along in the last few models. I had a base one for a rent car 8 or 9 years ago and it really sucked.

My sis had a 06 G35s sedan 6speed with almost 300hp and it is one nice ride. although it is another that requires premium gas
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

6 speed sedans are pretty rare. We had a G35 we held in the dealer for 4-5 months. I really enjoyed it, but it was 19-20mpg most of the time. 22-23 on the hightway. Very sweet engine and I really liked the interior, size and handling. The trans could be a little funky, but I learned that it is adaptive and we were switching between 3 drivers. I think there is a reset procedure, then it gets used to your driving.

Perhaps you should tell us where your priorities are. Do you want fuel efficiency, or do you want POWER? Do you want handling or a cushy ride? Price range $20k, $30k, or more.

I'm all in favor of hybrids and economy, but then 110 miles/day really adds up
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

The RX-8 makes a good GT car, but the fuel mileage is pathetic. I drive semi-conservatively (I do redline it once or twice a day, but I also shift up to 6th on any street where I’m doing 40 or over), and I average anywhere from 15-17 mpg. I’ve managed to eke out 21 mpg on the freeway with the cruise set below 73 mph. Yay.

Maybe you can keep the revs under 4k and do better, but the car has so little torque in the bottom half of the powerband you might as well be driving a Civic. It’s a fun car to autocross or take to the track, and it’s very comfortable for long distance touring, but I think you’d get tired of it pretty quick slogging through traffic.

The new Mazda6 looks damn good, but I haven’t seen one in the flesh or driven one.

To me the Maxima doesn’t make any sense. It costs almost as much as a comparable G35, but its fwd. What’s the point? Plus, those little sunroof porthole-thingys are ridiculous.

Have you looked at the new IS? I test drove an IS350 a couple of months back for kicks and giggles and came away very impressed. Not the cheapest car in the market segment, but it will probably hold its value better than anything else in the class over the long term, and I’d also bet on it having the best reliability.

The old TSX and TL are both nice looking cars. I’d opt for the TL if you need an auto, since the TSX is torque-deficient as well. Unfortunately, the slushbox TL doesn’t get the same suspension calibration or the 4-pot front Brembos that come with the 6-speed. I’m not a big fan of the looks of the new TSX and TL.

How about something a little different? Slightly used Mazdaspeed 6s are easy to find under $20k and pack a pretty nice drivetrain. Also, the current Subaru Legacy GT (especially in Spec B trim) is a nice Q ship with understated looks and a lot of power potential.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

One other suggestion if you want something sporty, Japanese, semi-inexpensive, and really practical: Mazdaspeed3. The styling is reasonably subdued, the car has a lot of performance, the gas mileage isn't that bad, and you can't beat the practicality.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Maserati Quatraporte or Mini Cooper S
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    The RX-8 makes a good GT car, but the fuel mileage is pathetic. I drive semi-conservatively (I do redline it once or twice a day, but I also shift up to 6th on any street where I’m doing 40 or over), and I average anywhere from 15-17 mpg. I’ve managed to eke out 21 mpg on the freeway with the cruise set below 73 mph. Yay.
    Don't take it easy in the RX-8 and I get 17-18 mpg commuting. I managed to get 24 mpg on the way back from Pearsall with Cosmos, a set of wheels & tires in the back and a full trunk.

I think something must be wrong with Iain's 8.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Don't take it easy in the RX-8 and I get 17-18 mpg commuting. I managed to get 24 mpg on the way back from Pearsall with Cosmos, a set of wheels & tires in the back and a full trunk.

I think something must be wrong with Iain's 8.
    I got around 18 mpg in mine as well, shifted around 4000 in 1st and 2nd and 3500 in 3rd-6th. The very first tank driving it home from San Antonio I eeked out 330 miles out of a 13 gallon fill or 25 mpg.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast