Thread: Anybody ever driven a Toyota MR-Spyder?

Default Anybody ever driven a Toyota MR-Spyder?

Ran into a nice lady (ok, a hungry cougar) in the parking lot at the beer store with a super-clean '04 MR-S. We exchanged pleasantries and compared notes. She was jealous of the Miata's cavernous trunk and cheap tires, but she raved about how her little beast drove.

I'm curious if anyone's had any experience with one...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post

I'm curious if anyone's had any experience with one...
    a Toyota or a cougar???

This thread is worthless with out pics of the cougar. Never driven a mr-s i just remember the review of it on top gear where he said it's too focused and not as fun as the Miata.

I owned one.

It's not a bad car, actually. Stock-for-stock very comparable to a NB. Though - HIGHLY impractical hence her jealousy. There is no rear trunk like in the 1st and 2nd gen MR2s (I've owned both of those, too). Toyota claims the little compartment behind the seats will hold a golf bag. I'd like to see someone try and get a golf bag in there.

It's very fun to drive. But in the end - I'd take a NB over an MR-S any day.

Fun car, but like said already the Miata is better! Has a Euro feel to it...pedals are offset to the middle of the car so you kinda sit off centre like in an old Ferrari.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

super driftable.
    fun to drive.
    must get used to the engine in the rear.
    no luggage space.

all in all, still comparable to an NB.

I drove one once, and I wasn't impressed. It was really, really twitchy at the limits, and it felt like sitting in a bathtub.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I drove one once, and I wasn't impressed. It was really, really twitchy at the limits, and it felt like sitting in a bathtub.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of mid engined cars :) Where alignment is critical and snap oversteer is a frequent, unwelcome guest.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM! View Post
    super driftable.
    fun to drive.
    must get used to the engine in the rear.
    no luggage space.

all in all, still comparable to an NB.
    I'm gonna have to disagree on one point. The MR2 is a horrid car to drift with. Yeah the rear steps out easily. But keeping it there without losing it is way harder than any front engined car. How many mid engined cars do you see in formula D?

And the engine is in the middle :)

I test drove a couple before buying my Miata. Hmm, I guess that applies to Cougars too . Anyway the lack of cargo space killed it for me; the biggest spot was behind the seats maybe 40" wide, 10-12" high, approx 8" deep at the bottom tapering to 4" deep at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    I test drove a couple before buying my Miata. Hmm, I guess that applies to Cougars too . Anyway the lack of cargo space killed it for me; the biggest spot was behind the seats maybe 40" wide, 10-12" high, approx 8" deep at the bottom tapering to 4" deep at the top.
    A popular convenience "mod" is a can of fix-a-flat in place of the spare tire in the front trunk. This gives you a little more space up there for storage. With the spare tire you'll be lucky to fit a camera bag in there.

I did consider getting a used one instead of my NC. To some degree I wish I had gone with the Spyder (new car is expensive, and I doubt I will go that route again), but I am well pleased with my NC. Having the trunk is nice.

I like the fact the Miatae have so many more options for aftermarket upgrades... Kinda like trying to hot rod a 350 Chevy vs a 403 Olds engine (in a 79 Trans Am for instance)...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.