Thread: Blown Subwoofer

Default Blown Subwoofer

My footwell sub has frozen up again. The first time it was warrantied but now the sub is out of warranty.

Here are my stats.

Amp - Alpine MRP-F450 (70x4) 2 Channels bridged to the sub.

Subwoofer - JL Audio 8W0 8" Subwoofer

Most of my music is played through my iPod connected to my HU (Sony CDX-MP70) through an Aux-input and I mostly listen to rock and techno.

I have been thinking of going up in the product line of JL subs to the new JL 8W3v3 but unfortunately the size of my box precludes me from doing this.

My obvious options are a new JL 8W0 purchased online for $60.00 or it's new model replacement the 8W1v2 for $90.00 from my local stereo shop.

I would really like to find something that is a bit nicer and higher quality that will fit my box which has a maximum depth of about 4 3/4".

Suggestions?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

If it froze twice why would you want another JL? I think I'd try another manufacturer.

Actually I got a great deal.

Crutchfield has buy one get one free on the Polk/MOMO MM2084. Trickyrix and I are going in on it together and each getting a terrific subwoofer for $60 shipped.
    ...and across the line.

I assume that you currently have 2 of the 4 channels on your amplifier bridged and ran to the sub. Per your amp's specs, it is putting out 200 watts at 4 ohms to the sub in bridged mode. Per the specs of your JL 8W0, it can handle 75 watts of continuous power. I think I understand why it died.

Looking at the specs of the Polk sub, it is rated to handle 200 watts of continuous power. This is a good start.

The final piece I would be concerned with is if the new speaker will work OK in your existing enclosure. Based on the thread you posted about your enclosure, it looks like it is around 6 liters. Going back to the JL Spec sheet, the old sub was designed to work best with a 10.6 liter enclosure. I assume you got around the space difference by filling the enclosure with some stuffing. Going back to the spec of the new Polk sub, it is designed for an optimal enclosure size of 9.9 liters. With stuffing, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I assume that you currently have 2 of the 4 channels on your amplifier bridged and ran to the sub. Per your amp's specs, it is putting out 200 watts at 4 ohms to the sub in bridged mode. Per the specs of your JL 8W0, it can handle 75 watts of continuous power. I think I understand why it died.

Looking at the specs of the Polk sub, it is rated to handle 200 watts of continuous power. This is a good start.

The final piece I would be concerned with is if the new speaker will work OK in your existing enclosure. Based on the thread you posted about your enclosure, it looks like it is around 6 liters. Going back to the JL Spec sheet, the old sub was designed to work best with a 10.6 liter enclosure. I assume you got around the space difference by filling the enclosure with some stuffing. Going back to the spec of the new Polk sub, it is designed for an optimal enclosure size of 9.9 liters. With stuffing, it should be fine.
    Actually,

Earmark built it and they did not use stuffing. Do I need to add some to my box? If so, where do I get it and how much do I get?
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Actually,

Earmark built it and they did not use stuffing. Do I need to add some to my box? If so, where do I get it and how much do I get?
    Go to the fabrics or crafts section of Walmart and find the stuff used to stuff pillows. I think they call it polyfill and it should be sold in a big bag. I would put as much as you can comfortable get in there without compressing it too much.

What--was pleasuring Bo so great you had to go blow something else?
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    What--was pleasuring Bo so great you had to go blow something else?
    ...and across the line.