Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSR Track Day

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    "I would hope people have some common sense about them and would know if they are good enough to be in the TA."

Hey, I don't know you and wish you all the best with this event, but the above comment just illustrates what I'd be worrying about...

And the reason the experienced drivers prefer the 1.3 section is because it's much trickier and more technical than the 1.7. It's also a lot more punishing when mistakes are made.
    I will definately agree with the alot more punishing part. Big holes and not much run-off if any at all. Lots of good places to flip/roll.
    Blah blah blah!

I went to all of TDR's focus days, so I'd be interested in track time at MSR, but just ask MadMerv or Gary how hard is to actually pull off one of these events. Good luck!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I know they are hard to pull off. That's why I'm not able to get a date or actual costs, just have to see if there are enough interested people. I have one partial sponsor lined up, haven't discussed details with them, but they are interested in helping out. If I can get 2 or 3 more, I can definitely drop the price and that should get it more interest. If I see enough people saying they want to do it, I'll get an estimate on the date, and then start asking for deposits. I think people who are really serious will be willing to put money down to hold their spot. This will make it easier to tell who is REALLY gonna show, and who is just saying they will. When I have enough people who have made their deposit, I can goto MSR and lock the day down. It's gonna be hard to get together, no doubt, but I have confidence in the performance oriented Miata drivers, and think this will happen.

I want to keep it "Miata Only", but I have already had a few people outside the Miata community who are interested. Maybe I can put 20spots for "Any Car" and the rest Miata-only. Haven't really decided if, or how, I'll allow other makes/models, but if it has to be done, I'll do it.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    I know they are hard to pull off. That's why I'm not able to get a date or actual costs, just have to see if there are enough interested people. I have one partial sponsor lined up, haven't discussed details with them, but they are interested in helping out. If I can get 2 or 3 more, I can definitely drop the price and that should get it more interest.
    You're walking a tough line there. Without at least a tentative date to shoot for, you're not going to get much commitment (and certainly no deposits) from either drivers or sponsors.

You didn't ask my advice, but I'd suggest at least getting a tentative range of dates that are 5-6 months out. People will be able to check their calendars and actually make decisions and commitments. At this point it's just kinda "Who wants to go to MSR next year?" Lots of people will say "ME!" but those aren't quality leads.

That's my 2¢.

Why not try having it at Eagles Canyon?

+1 Eagles Canyon

Track event a couple weeks back I attended cost 150 and had no more than 30 cars. Maybe that's a more affordable venue. Also isn't there a track just south of Austin where someone was possibly trying to get a Miata event going?

I'm a noob and never ran MSR but I ain't gonna pay to watch others drive TA. So count me out if the TA doesn't cost extra and cuts into my track time.

Harris Hill is south of Austin. Fun track.

I'd be interested, wherever or whenever it is
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I'd be interested if I could run the S2000. *hey I used to own a Miata*
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I'd be interested if I could run the S2000. *hey I used to own a Miata*
    Me too... let me know if they let you in...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'd be in. if you have the backing and the cars, I would be I could get a couple of the redline guys to be the organization to come in and run it.

I'm down for a little TT style competition. I don't expect to do that well over-all, but I'd like to see what I can do in the "drive your car to and from the event" class.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Well, I can't get enough interest to merit the event. I need at least 20 cars, and I had about 10 at the most. Plus the price is higher the less people we have, and TDR setup an event for Miatas, which drained any support I had going.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12