Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need me some Tires!

I kind of envy y'all being able to do that stuff. Between the costs of having a kid in 1st yr of college and my now torn rotator cuff/left shoulder, I'm just lucky to drive a new MX-5
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

Quote Originally Posted by mikeytx View Post
    I kind of envy y'all being able to do that stuff. Between the costs of having a kid in 1st yr of college and my now torn rotator cuff/left shoulder, I'm just lucky to drive a new MX-5
    Hey, me too! About the shoulder thing...better not have me any kids! Same shoulder too, after effects of playing ice hockey.

*BAM's on the West side in Grapevine, but for anyone on the East side I'm in Sachse so give me a shout first and I'll see what I can do for ya. Altain came in for his RX8 tires! Glad you like'em; I thought they rode pretty smooth btw...but I haven't compared them with the Toyo's on the same car.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

POS, do you know if BAM is able to match Tire Rack ? I hate to put him on a spot with his GM at the new store.
    Should be able to, we order from them direct quite often.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Hey, me too! About the shoulder thing...better not have me any kids! Same shoulder too, after effects of playing ice hockey.
    Funny you should mention ice hockey. That and football as a kid growing up in Chicago meant being both a Blackhawks and Bears/Packers fan. Trying to emulate several of their players I am sure has played a great part in my now physical ailments.
    '08 GG/Blk GT 6M 2PR 1SP Eibach spring/sways Tenzo-R GF-7 wheels Good-win RS II w/glspak inserts " Save the Wave ! "

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Talking

Sammm, trying to follow the posts between you and P O S Racing is like watching a ping pong match. I love it . It always makes me grin.
    I'm a giver.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm a giver.
    Huh. I had you pegged as the catcher in that relationship.

Funny you should mention ice hockey. That and football as a kid growing up in Chicago meant being both a Blackhawks and Bears/Packers fan. Trying to emulate several of their players I am sure has played a great part in my now physical ailments.
    lol I know, I'm going to be in trouble when I'm my parents' age! Never broken a bone, except for a shattered nose...slapshot to face intentionally , but I've torn cartiladge and tendons in half my joints.

are you sure its torn? MRI?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    are you sure its torn? MRI?
    That is going to be done right after Christmas. I just made the appointment today for the open MRI on the 29th.

That is going to be done right after Christmas. I just made the appointment today for the open MRI on the 29th.
    Active Release Technique kept me out of surgery for my soft-tissue injury. I recommend you check it out. I used Dr. Tim St. Onge
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Hey you gimp miata owners get outta my tire thread!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Talking

My knee hurts.

Awww, what a cute cat.

Thoughts on RA1 take offs for street use? Couple FI guys use RA1s, didn't know if anyone regionally did as well. Though I had heard there is a cracking issue under 32 degrees.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I probably wouldn't. They only come molded with 6/32" of tread when new, so take-offs are going to be horrible in the rain. They are pretty useless below 40 degrees as well, and constant heat cycling will kill whatever remaining stick they've got pretty quick.

I put a few hundred street miles on my last set (usually because I was too lazy to swap back to street tires after a track day ), but only in warm, dry conditions.

FWIW, many of the current crop of "max performance" street tires provide more grip than RA1s (I think Vorshlag actually did some testing in '07 and found the new Yok's were actually faster on their STU car than RA1s). The benefit of RA1s is that they're pretty resistant to heat buildup, so they don't get greasy on the track after 10-15 minutes like street tires do.
    Last edited by altiain; 12-12-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Active Release Technique kept me out of surgery for my soft-tissue injury. I recommend you check it out. I used Dr. Tim St. Onge
    Thank you !

Hey BAM any chance I am going to get an answer from you on the PM I sent the 11th??

Hey BAM any chance I am going to get an answer from you on the PM I sent the 11th??
    Might try calling him... he doesn't get online much. I will PM you his cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Might try calling him... he doesn't get online much. I will PM you his cell.
    Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123